What's new
Signup for GameFly to rent the newest 4k UHD movies!

Floyd Norman: An Animated Life - legendary Disney animator (1 Viewer)

Jake Lipson

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jake Lipson
Has anyone else's order shipped yet?

Did anyone else get the same email as Rodney?

Jake Lipson

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jake Lipson
Glad to know you got it, David! I was afraid all of you might be out of luck. This makes me feel better. When did you place your order?

Josh Steinberg

Premium
Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Josh Steinberg
I received mine yesterday - hoping to get to it soon, but my Disney nostalgia has been sort of dormant lately - I may save it until the mood strikes, but I am glad to have it.

Jake Lipson

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jake Lipson
Glad to hear you got yours, Josh. :) When did you place the order?

If they are out of stock as claimed in the email to Rodney, I'm really surprised they haven't updated the website to remove the function to purchase new copies.

David Norman

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Glad to know you got it, David! I was afraid all of you might be out of luck. This makes me feel better. When did you place your order?

I think a few minutes before I posted on Sunday which surprised me when I saw Rodney's post. I feel a little bad that it appears I jumped the line -- but not bad enough to give him mine. I do think if a bunch of folks got cancelled or tried to put in orders after the closure that may bode well for another pressing run

Jake Lipson

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jake Lipson
I think a few minutes before I posted on Sunday which surprised me when I saw Rodney's post. I feel a little bad that it appears I jumped the line -- but not bad enough to give him mine.

If Rodney ordered before you, and you got one and he didn't. that's not on you. That means the seller mismanaged their stock. And they seem to be mismanaging a lot of things -- like the fact that you can still go order a copy on the website right now. If they are actually sold out, they have an obligation to take down the option to purchase more.

I'm curious what would happen if I tried to buy another one right now. Theoretically, PayPal would bill me and then the seller would have to reimburse me like they did Rodney. But I don't want to know badly enough to actually try this.

Josh Steinberg

Premium
Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Josh Steinberg
I ordered it around the same time as well.

My guess would be that their website and storefront is managed by a third party and not something they directly handle themselves; so while they are out of stock and know that now, it may take a couple days to get their web vendor to actually update the site to reflect that. The order button was fairly prominent throughout so it's probably a fix that requires a live human to actually redo the pages.

I also think you gave them an unexpected spike in sales by posting here, Jake. After I placed my order, I got an email from them asking me where I had heard about the disc and wondering which of their ads I had seen and where - I think they were trying to figure out why there was a sudden afternoon spike. You might have inspired more orders from that single post than they're used to seeing at any single moment.

Jake Lipson

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jake Lipson
I also think you gave them an unexpected spike in sales by posting here, Jake. After I placed my order, I got an email from them asking me where I had heard about the disc and wondering which of their ads I had seen and where - I think they were trying to figure out why there was a sudden afternoon spike. You might have inspired more orders from that single post than they're used to seeing at any single moment.

That's interesting. If you replied to that email, that might have been what led them to join the forum. They were here briefly this weekend under the username "Floyd Norman Bluray," and with the "real first name" of "Floyd," trying to sell more discs.

The moderators wisely removed those posts because they violated the "no joining just to advertise" and "real first name" rules of the forum.

But Rodney (and you and David and Mike2001) had posted about ordering it before they came here trying to sell more, so something seems off about the whole thing if he didn't get one.

Has anyone else received the same email Rodney did?

They also have not updated the film's Facebook or Twitter pages to reflect a sellout, which should be easier to do than the website itself.

Last edited:

David Norman

Premium
Senior HTF Member
I also got the "where did you hear about us" email and unlike most of them that I send to the trash, I did fill it out and mentioned HTF postings. I really wish they had been allowed to stay if they had been interested in talking about their project and Mr Norman more than
selling a few BD and autographs.

I'm fairly sure if they printed more we would be happy to spread the word here and on Bluray.com to get them sold, but I've never even heard of the site until it was posted here. I had no idea about the BD -- kind of like the "WALT: Man and Myth" that I read about with someone asked about visiting the Museum in SF and seeing the BD in the gift shop. When things are unknown to the biggest Movies nerds and High End Insiders something isn't quite right. With even a couple of posts and word of mouth I suspect they could sell several dozen or a couple hundred just on 2 forums.

I actually briefly thought about the autograph copy, but it really isn't my thing. I have a couple of the
autographed Twilight Time features, but really got that for the free Bluray back when SAE almost never had sales.

Jake Lipson

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jake Lipson
I really wish they had been allowed to stay if they had been interested in talking about their project and Mr Norman more than selling a few BD and autographs.

I think that's the issue though: they didn't want to do anything other than sell it. I would also love to hear from them about the process of creating the film and their interactions with Floyd, and I don't think anything is stopping them from posting something like that. But they weren't posting stuff like that.

It's not even clear who it was that was doing the posting -- was it the director? The producer? Just some marketing guy? -- but it was clearly not Floyd, which makes the use of his name as their "real name" wrong

Tthey just wanted to sell more discs. Which it appears they were already doing through my original post whether they came here or not. If they're already sold out, and Rodney didn't even get one, they got their wish without having to become contributing members of the HTF community. The irony is that my initial post seems to have done a pretty good job of selling for them even before they showed up. The difference is that I wanted to share the movie for the interest of the membership, and they just wanted sales.

Josh Steinberg

Premium
Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Josh Steinberg
I did reply to that email, and then noticed those posts here - I figured one was probably related to the other.

Rodney

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Well that is strange, seems they didn't process the orders by date. According to my emailed receipt from PayPal, I put in my order in at Jun 2, 2018 22:56:42 CDT.

Oh well, It's not worth stressing over. I have quite a few blu-rays from my Kino Sale order to watch, and I can always get the documentary on Netflix if I get a hankering to. I'm just glad that so many people are interested in Floyd Norman's life story.

Jake Lipson

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jake Lipson
Well, while it's unfortunate that Rodney didn't get one, I'm glad it appears that the rest of you did.

I also hope they will consider doing another print run -- it seems foolish to turn away business, unless the cost of pressing more discs exceeds the remaining demand. But I also know Floyd occasionally does appearances at screenings and things like that, so it would also make sense to have a small stock available to sell at those types of events.

The documentary is from 2016, and has been available on Blu-ray for a while. I knew abut it because I have followed Floyd with interest since he was kind enough to help me with a school project I was doing 11 years ago. But, to me, $32.99 is a lot of money for a Blu-ray, so when I saw it was on Netflix as well, I watched it there first and then thought, "Eh, I'll get it at some point" simply because I didn't want to drop that much money on it at the time. It was when I learned that they didn't plan to print more copies after the current pressing that I thought, "I'd better just go ahead and get this." And then I thought that it would be a good idea to let you all know about it, since I know how many passionate Disney fans are here.

But I wasn't clear about how many they had left. For this reason, I waited until mine shipped to post here, simply because I wanted to verify that they did have stock remaining and that I hadn't bought it too late myself. If I hadn't been able to get one, I didn't want to tease anyone else with the possibility and disappoint everybody.

Hopefully they decide to print more -- and hopefully they come back here and tell us who they are and talk to us genuinely about the process of making the film, which would be really interesting to me.

For those of you who got it, I'm curious what you think when you have a chance to watch it.

David Norman

Premium
Senior HTF Member
They were not banned. Posts were simply removed (for violating forum rules).

We have reached out to them.

I certainly understand why the posts were taken down and even wondered if that might happen even on Sunday. I'm also glad to hear things aren't permanent and nothing was said/done that can't be fixed. I'm sure the discs will likely sell themselves just from the interaction.
Initially I wasn't sure if they just didn't understand that it was against the policy plus with the weekend there were less Referees around to pass that along or if they were told on Monday then decided they weren't interested in anything further

It sounds like things are still in the Q/A stage.

Mike2001

Premium
Real Name
Mike
I have a shipping notice from Monday but no disc yet. I guess I live on the wrong coast for quick delivery. I ordered shortly after Rodney posted on Saturday.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
RobertTheBob
Recent bookmarks
SVS Outlet Sale