What's new

Fixing Burn-In on RPTV (1 Viewer)

I was wondering if someone could give me an approximate cost for everything that I would need to fix a burn-in problem I have on a RPTV I recently purchased. It was as-is from the store, but the price was a real bargin (I guess I know why now). Anyways, I have the option of taking it back to the store for a full refund, but I was just curious to see if 1.) it can be fixed, and 2.) how much all the parts would be to fix it. The TV in question is a Toshiba TW40F80 40" widescreen.
Thanks for any help you can offer. If it's not cost effective to fix it, I'll just take it back and save for the 50" Toshiba that should be in stores soon. :)
------------------
Nate Thompson

John-D

Stunt Coordinator
What kind of a burn in has occured?
Most burn-ins are irreversible and need a tube replaced if you can identify which tube got more affected.
If the burn in is slight, you can minimize it by displaying an all white screen at high contrast for an extended period of time and check back occasionally to see if it's doing any good..
however it's always recommended not to mess with burn ins as results are unexpected.
Good Luck.
------------------
The things we own end up owning us

I'm not sure what kind it is... I wasn't aware that there were various kinds. What has happened is the grey bars that Toshiba uses to show regular 4x3 programs unstretched are now visible at all times, whether you are watching a 4x3 program or something in widescreen. When in 16x9 mode, there is a distinct difference in the colors between where the bars would be, and the rest of the picture.
The more I think about it, the more likely I'm just going to return the unit and save for the Toshiba 50" or Panasonic 47" HDTV widescreen units.
------------------
Nate Thompson

Matt_Stevens

Supporting Actor
TAKE IT BACK! Those bars cannot be fixed. They would have to replace parts to do it and it will cost you BIG bucks. That set is toast.
Get the 47" panasonic. I have my eye set on it right now.
------------------
www.deceptions.net/superman

TimG

Second Unit
Take it back, and don't think twice about it. Save up for a good one, you will be happier in the long run.
Tim

Thanks for all the advice; everyone seems to echo my initial reaction to getting the set home and seeing the problem. Looks like I'll be saving up for the new Toshiba 50", or perhaps the Panasonic 47" everyone has been talking about.
Thanks again,
Nate
------------------
Nate Thompson

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
papill6n
Recent bookmarks