What's new

Have to have my rptv taken out the house to be fixed (1 Viewer)

david kennedy

Stunt Coordinator
The repair had to tell me that they will have to pick up the tv too many burned circuits.It will be at least 2 weeks. Someone give me strenght. Has anyone had to have their rptv's taken to be serviced. Anyway i am glad that the tv was still under warranty. Oh by the way im getting my tv back this monday.

Vince Chan

Stunt Coordinator
Yeah I had to have My 50" Tosh RPTV taken out for repairs a year ago, they had to hire a moving truck and two big guys to do it!
The repairs took a whole month (!) due to incompetence in ordering in parts, plus they seemed disgruntled in having to do warranty repair (maybe they get paid less for warranty work than non-warranty work)..
Anyways, I am glad that I got an extended warranty on my RPTV.
I wanna get rid of it now in order to make way for a projector!

david kennedy

Stunt Coordinator
I was talking to the repair man from Abt and he said that pretty much every brand of rptv has this problem. I think they are going to pick it up monday.

Fredster

Stunt Coordinator
With my ancient 45" Pioneer (14 years and still going), they just pulled the chassis - a rather small part of the RPTV. Of course, a technician did the pulling.

TonyD

Who do we think I am?
Ambassador
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Tony D.
i had to have mine out for a month.
they guy came here middle of june, but he couldnt figure out what was wrong.
so after playing with the service menu for half an hour, and messing up my settings, he decided they would have to come and take it in.
this is through tweeter's warranty i paid for.
so they take it july 8th.
3 weeks later they still havent fixed it and havent received the part they believe will be the fix.
so i told them to send me the tv back and when the part comes in they can come to my house to install it.
they expected to have it by the end of august.
end of august, still no part.
so they ask me to wait till the end of sept.
then the end of sept comes and now they find out the part no longer exists so they have to order it from toshiba.
now at the end of october they still don't have the part and they now say toshiba may have to build the part.

the woman i spoke to was told by toshiba that it could be as long as some time in december for the part to be built.
but she made me believe that she told them that i wouldnt want to wait that long and she advised toshiba that she would need to know something more concrete by monday.

so i told her that if we don't know anything by monday we need to do something else. (replacement)
when the part came in she said that tweeter would want to take the tv in to make the fix.
of course i balked at that becuase it would take at least another month for that to happen because that is usually how long service takes.
so here i am and i'll find out tomorrow.

david kennedy

Stunt Coordinator
I sorry to hear that Toney. They should have given you a replacement. or compensated you someway for your inconvience.

Lost my Hitachi last year for a month. It was a mix of an inability to diagnose the problem and trouble getting parts. When they brought it back the screen was scratched (that's a whole 'nother story).

TonyD

Who do we think I am?
Ambassador
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Tony D.
they also replaced my screen while it was in because they scratched it.
today i got a call and by some miracle they seem to have found a part. and within the next few days they will call me to set up when a guy can come out to fix the tv.

we'll see.

TonyD

Who do we think I am?
Ambassador
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Tony D.
ok only another month later someone will be out dec 3rd to try to fix my tv.

TonyD

Who do we think I am?
Ambassador
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Tony D.
someone was out today but he didnt fix it.
the board i waited 3 months for was not what needed to be replaced.
after we figured that out the guy started to tap on sonething on a different board and that actually caused a response.
the wobbling of the top of the picture went away for about i minute then came back.
so he resoldered some of the circuits.
that didnt work. so he sprayed freeze stuff in there.

that worked but as soon as the tv warmed up the trouble came right back.

so he decided to replace the part that he thought may be the culprit.
i think it worked but after about 4 minutes the tv shut off and the red light blinked.
unplugged the tv and tried again.

shut off itself once more.

so he finally agreed with me that the tv was over and it needed to be replaced per the warranty.
so he's going to let his super know that i was
extremely unhappy because after all this waiting and the tv still isn't fixed.

now i have no tv and have to wait to see when /if the tv will be replaced.

Gregg Loewen

Founder, Professional Video Alliance
Insider
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Gregg Loewen
tony, it is way past time to speak to the tech's boss, then the bosses boss, etc

they need to produce a new set. this should be a standard part of the tweeter service agreement??

keep me posted

gregg

david kennedy

Stunt Coordinator
Well it looks like i am well on my way for a long wait 1 month and counting. The tv was supposed to be fixed and sent back to me 2 weeks ago. I am not so mad about how long it is taking for it to be fixed. But i am mad that on the day it was supposed to be delivered that they did not even contact us to tell us it was not fixed yet. I am planning to buy a Sanyo z2 and putting the rptv in the bedroom when it gets fixed. I have a feeling that i will have the z2 before i get my rptv back.

TonyD

Who do we think I am?
Ambassador
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Tony D.
i got a CAll from tweeter today.
the man said they are trying to have the warranty place replace the tv.
so it seems that whoever holds/issues the warranty makes the decisionon replacement.
he weill callme tomorrow tolet me know what tey said.

he also told me that if the warranter doesnt agree to replacement that tweeter will do soemthing to handle the troubles i am having. mneaaning replacement.

so we'll see.:frowning:

david kennedy

Stunt Coordinator
If you have to wait longer than a month for your tv to be fixed and the tv is under warrenty they should give you a loaner or replace it. You are spending alot of money on this a few thousand dollars most likely so these stores need to handle these problems better. And so does the manufacturer

TonyD

Who do we think I am?
Ambassador
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Tony D.
well, it appears that tweeter and the warrantee-er are going to fight out who buys the new tv.
i should know in a day or two.

now i'll have to figure out what tv to get.
tweeter no longer carries toshiba. and i'm not happy about that.
but it looks like i can get a dlp for close to what i payed 4 years ago for the tosh.
i havent researched tv's over the last 4 years so i don't know what these new tv's can do.
actually now i have to see what the differences are between dlp / crt /lcd and the gwIII i keep seeing people post about.

mostly i'm hoping for things like aspect ratio control even in full mode(no forced full mode).
720p capable if that applies anymore.

looks like i'l have about 4K to spend.

Shane Martin

Senior HTF Member
David,
With the newer sets this is normal. Some of the older sets could have their chassis removed(like the XBR Sony's and some older Mits) but they have changed apparantly.

Sometimes they can fix it at home but most of the time they come get it and drag it back to the shop.

FWIW, I worked for a TV shop for a while..

Dave H

Senior HTF Member
Question to anyone --- How did your convergence look after your RPTV has been returned? I would be concerned of this because of the moving, etc.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation172
Recent bookmarks