What's new

Advice on reply from Sony Technical Support (1 Viewer)

Jody Wells

Auditioning
Hello, I just wanted to see if anyone had an opinion on this recent reply I received from Sony's technical support. I just purchased a new Sony RPTV (SON KP51WS510)and like any new user have been a little concerned about burn-in. I've calibrated the TV with Avia already but I just thought I would get as many answers as possible about possible burn in anyway. Anyhow..here is the response I received after asking about any possible burn-in tips:

"Jody Wells,

Thank you for contacting SONY Online Support.

When viewing a TV station whose logo always stays on the screen or using TV games, computers and similar products with your projection TV, keep the brightness and contrast functions at low settings. If a fixed (non-moving) pattern such as a station logo is left on the screen for long periods of time, especially at a high brightness or contrast setting, the image can be permanently imprinted onto the screen. These types of imprints are not covered by your warranty because they are the result of misuse.

NOTE: There is not an exact time for burn in to occur. If the brightness and contrast are high, burn in will occur in a less amount of time than if the brightness and contrast are low. Burn in occurs gradually over long periods of time.

Also, we do not recommend that you play video games on a projection screen television because of the heat created by the three separate picture tubes which may cause the image to burn into the screen of your unit.

Many of the video games have a fixed "dashboard" or "console" that displays continuously for several minutes and that would most likely burn an image into the screen of your unit. This is the reason for not recommending that you play video games on a rear projection television. Video games should be used on direct tube units only.

Thank you for the opportunity to be of assistance.

The SONY Internet Group
Online Support and Services Center
SSAJ"

It seems a little extreme to say "do not play videogames on this unit at all". I don't want to feel like I've just splurged on a TV that I cannot use for one of my favorite pasttimes and I guess all I'm looking for is someone to tell me that they have an RPTV, play games on it all the time, and have had no issues. = ) Thanks in advance for any replies or info.

John S

Senior HTF Member
I know people that have them, and play them all the time, and I mean for like 12 hours straight, and over the past 4 or so years have no burn in.

To that point, I also know a few people that have burned in sets, but they are not audio / video types at all. I am sure they extremely abused their sets, the one guy has his brightness so high it actually hurts my eyes when I am over there.

Matt_JP

Auditioning
I've got an RPTV (65WS550), play video games, and have no issues. I've also have only had it for 10 days, so I'm not going to be much help here.

That said, I purchased the TV to better enjoy some of me and my family's favorite activities, which includes watching movies and TV, and playing games. The TV is probably used 50% for games, 35% for TV, and 15% for movies.

We've got a few simple rules to minimize the risk, such as not playing games with static images for extended periods of time and turning the TV to another source or off when pausing for more than a minute or so. I keep the brightness and contrast (picture) fairly low (

Steve Schaffer

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Steve Schaffer
RPTV crts are driven much harder than direct-views, so the burn in is more of a concern.

That being said, if the rptv set is calbrated with contrast (or "picture" on a Sony) turned down, and the set is not used exclusively for games, there should be no problem.

Most sets, including Sonys, let you store several sets of pic settings for different viewing conditions. I've always had one set with contrast/picture set especially low for video gaming and have had no problem with burn in.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
OttoIsHere
Recent bookmarks