What's new

First time Gamecube owner, I got Metroid Prime, but what game next? (1 Viewer)

Scott_E

Stunt Coordinator
I have purchased Metroid Prime as my first Gamecube game and couldnt be happier. What next though? Maybe Eternal Darkness, I don't believe I've ever even seen a screenshot of it but I hear people raving about it. Maybe Resident Evil remake? I've never played Resident Evil either. Any other suggestions?

Paul_D

Senior HTF Member

Absolutely go for the RE remake first. It's an absolutely fabulous game, and a real treat if you've never experienced any RE games before, as I hadn't before I bought it.

John Berggren

Senior HTF Member
I like Eternal Darkness better than the RE remake, simply for control reasons. The controls on RE are pretty weak, but the game itself is beautiful and scary as hell.

If you will consider other genres, try Animal Crossing and Super Mario Sunshine as well.

Rob_Pierce

Second Unit
Eternal Darkness is a must have. If you like the previous RE games (the controls, the frustration, etc.) then pick up RE first. I personally can't stand the games, but the graphics are probably the best on any system and any game. Eternal Darkness is great--even better if you play in the dark (cheesy, but it really it's true).

I highly recommend Rogue Squadron II if you like Star Wars or shooters. It came out last year and should be pretty cheap now. Pikmin is a pretty fun/different game, but you might want to rent that first. I also second the Mario Sunshine suggestion--it's caught a lot of flack, but still a heck of a lot of fun to play.

Oh yeah, don't forget to pre-order Zelda (March 24).

Rob_Pierce

Second Unit
Eternal Darkness is a must have. If you like the previous RE games (the controls, the frustration, etc.) then pick up RE first. I personally can't stand the games, but the graphics are probably the best on any system and any game. Eternal Darkness is great--even better if you play in the dark (cheesy, but it's really true).

I highly recommend Rogue Squadron II if you like Star Wars or shooters. It came out last year and should be pretty cheap now. Pikmin is a pretty fun/different game, but you might want to rent that first. I also second the Mario Sunshine suggestion--it's caught a lot of flack, but still a heck of a lot of fun to play.

Oh yeah, don't forget to pre-order Zelda (March 24).

Dave Bennett

Screenwriter
I guess I'm the lone detractor of Eternal Darkness. It was repetitive, not at all challenging, and just didn't hold my interest. The controls were good though as was the audio. I absolutely loved the Resident Evil Remake. At 29.99 or less, it's a steal. If you enjoy that you can pickup Resident Evil 0 later on which is also really good. Other games I'd reccomend are Rogue Leader(fun but can be very frustrating), 007 Nightfire, and Super Monkey Ball. Enjoy the cube!

Tom Fudold

Stunt Coordinator
I highly enjoyed both Eternal Darkness and Resident Evil 1 remix. If cost is an issue, I saw RE at Target for $19.99 this week. Can't beat that.

MikeAlletto

Senior HTF Member
Eternal Darkness was fun, but short and very easy. Resident Evil 1 is pretty good but I found it too hard so I used the walkthru the whole time, had a good time. Mario is good but easy. Luigy's Mansion is still a lot of fun and just right. Monkey Ball is ok. Just got Resident Evil 0 for xmas, haven't played it yet. Rogue Squadron is cool, but very very hard.

Scott_E

Stunt Coordinator
Ok, it looks like its between Eternal Darkness and the Resident Evil Remake. I'm leaning towards Eternal Darkness. I have played one Resident evil Game, Code Veronica for the Dreamcast, and I hated the control. So I only played for about 2 mins before exchanging it. So basically Ive never really experienced a RE game. However Eternal Darkness looks awesome to me. I dont' think I could be disappointed with either. We shall see.

Paul_D

Senior HTF Member
Absolute rubbish. However, it's a very slick game. The controls/graphics/camera is very fluid and well designed. Also, an awful lot of people didn't have the gripes that I had with the gameplay and story, so if you fancy it, then give it a go!

Travis Olson

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Travis Olson
Star Wars Rogue Squadron II: Rogue Leader, IMO, is still the best game on the GC. Definitely worth a purchase.

Morgan Jolley

Senior HTF Member
ED is good.

As is Super Mario Sunshine, Super Smash Bros., Pikmin, Rogue Leader, and some others I can't come up with right now.

BertFalasco

Supporting Actor
I absolutely enjoyed RE [remake], Super Mario Sunshine, Luigi's Mansion (reminded me of Ghostbusters), and Super Smash Bro's Melee.. Although a few of these may not justify a purchase of the GC, they are still definitely awesome to have in the collection.

Also, Time Splitters 2 is quite fun, yet short. Starfox is definitely not worth the purchase, in my opinion. It lacks the essence of giving the player motivation to continue. Friggin rare could have been working on KI2 and/or PD0 but, they had to make that dung.

Good luck!

-Bert

Joe michaels

Second Unit
Do yourself a favor and at least rent Eternal Darkness. I did back when blockbuster had their gamer pass and I kept ED the whole time!

Morgan Jolley

Senior HTF Member
It should be noted that StarFox: Dinosaur Planet was not a SF game to begin with. Nintendo made Rare bring it to the GameCube and had them stick the SF license on it.

CameronS

Supporting Actor
Games I am very very glad to I own:
  • Rogue Squadron
  • Super Monkey Ball - this one gets played ALOT when people come over
  • Resident Evil
  • Eternal Darkness - my pick for Game of the Year 2002 so far
  • Super Mario Sunshine - not as good as Mario 64 by any means, but still a very good game
  • Super Smash Brothers - been collecting a little dust, but probably the most played GC game so far
  • Wave Race: Blue Storm - not one of the most popular games by others, but I LOVED it. My roommate and I competed aggressively to beat each others time trials.
New Games I haven't had much time with yet:
  • Animal Crossing - This one looks like a time killer. Just started my town.
  • Phantasy Star Online - another possible time killer. I haven't gone online yet
  • Metriod Prime - I have just gotten started on this one. This title speaks for itself.
  • Mario Party 4 - I have played this with about 3 entirely different groups of friends, and we all have had a blast with it. This may take over Super Monkey Ball as party game of choice. I had never played any of the previous Mario Party games, so this one was new to me.
Mediocre Gamecube games I own:
  • Wrestlemania X8 - good for wrestling fans like me, but I liked Smackdown: Shut Your Mouth on PS2 much better. Here's hoping for improvements on the sequel for the GC
Games released that I do not own, but hope to have one day:
  • Timesplitters 2
  • Resident Evil 0
  • Super Monkey Ball 2
  • Pikmin
I am a little biased, because the Gamecube takes up 99% of my videogaming time, but I don't spend much time with the other systems only because I do not own them.

JamesH

Supporting Actor
The story in Eternal Darkness was ridiculous....

I like how they elaborated so well WHY they wanted to build a giant tower of bodies the desert.

I haven't liked many of the major GC releases, Super Monkey Ball is the top game IMO.

Morgan Jolley

Senior HTF Member
The story in ED was twisted, but then again, that's the point.

I really thought the end would be like this...
Alex finds out that her family actually had a history of insanity, and all these events in the game were her going insane for real

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nielmb
Recent bookmarks