What's new

Firefox question (1 Viewer)

Eric_L

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Eric
I'm using Firefox on my iMac. Whenever I launch it the Firefox window opens and takes up my entire screen. I would like to set the default window size much smaller for Firefox (and beginning location too) but I can't seem to find how to do this. Does anyone here know?

Also - is there an easier way to switch between applications in Mac? I am constantly moving around my windows looking for the menu bar of other applications 'hiding' below them.... There must be n easier way.

Citizen87645

Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Cameron Yee
To resize the window, go the lower right corner and there are a series of diagonal hash marks. Click and drag on that to resize and reposition as needed. The next time Firefox opens it should remember that size and position.

DaveF

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Dave
Eric, you would really benefit from taking some time to learn OS X
htf_images_smilies_smile.gif
It took me a month to make the transition -- I was grumbling the whole time -- but once I did, I found I have no desire to turn back. OS X is easier in many ways, but it's still a complex system and requires the user to learn the tools for best performance.

* Alt-Tab (better than Windows, as its clickable)
* Expose (don't forget the reveal-desktop variant! Beats the stuffing out of Windows show desktop "tool")
* Spaces (so-so, but handy at times)
* The great add-on, Witch

I believe Firefox launches at whatever size it is when closed. I've not seen the behavior you're describing.

Ken Chan

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ken
You can also switch apps by clicking on the apps' icon in the Dock. (Not unlike Windows' task bar, except here you're choosing an app, not a window. To choose among multiple windows for an app, right-click on the icon in the Dock.) Of course, this works better if the Dock is always visible, and not set to auto-hide.

DaveF

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Dave
What version are you using?

Do you have any add-ons?

There are scattered comments about this problem on Windows & OS X, going back to version 1 - and including Beta 3. You may be suffering a spurious Firefox bug.

ErichH

Screenwriter

Instead of clicking the firefox window to remove it, try actually quitting the app then re-launch. I'm guessing, but Firefox does remember the last size after you quit the app.

From the top Firefox menu (next to the apple icon) Quit Firefox

Citizen87645

Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Cameron Yee
Here's a video tutorial of the Application Switcher (he's a little rough in the beginning but bear with him). He also says to press Command-Tab-Shift to reverse direction, but Command-Tilde does the same thing and is easier to execute.

DaveF

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Dave
Command-Tab is quite similar to Alt-Tab in windows, but perhaps you've never used Alt-Tab in Windows. Hold Command and press and release the Tab key. It brings up an overlay rectangle with the icons of all running applications, with the "next" program selected. Releasing Command brings that application to the fore. If instead, Tab was tapped again, the selector would move to the right, selecting the next application icon. Successive taps of Tab successively select icons along the overlay, to the right. Alt-Shift-Tab moves the selector "backwards", to the left.

Also, while holding the icon overlay is visible, the mouse can be used to click and select a program icon.

Command-Tilde has a related but different behavior. Command-Tab only cycles through open applications. Command-Tilde cycles through open Windows. Since an application can have many windows, some of which might be hidden under other applications, this is a way to get to those in a more fine-grained way that Command-Tab does.

If Command Tilde is useful, then you should download Witch (that I mentioned earlier), as it improves on this behavior substantially.

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
SaladinNagasawa
Recent bookmarks