What's new

Firefox Question Pertinent to the new Platform (1 Viewer)

Mike Frezon

Premium
Senior HTF Member
I'm not very bright about these things...so I am here to ask for help.

And I figure if I'm having this problem...maybe others are, too.

Whenever I enter www.hometheaterforum.com into my URL bar, Firefox wants to direct me to Huddler and I get the following error message:
Firefox can't find the server at huddler.hometheaterforum.com.
Even when I "google" Home Theater Forum and click on the link www.hometheaterforum.com in the search results the browser tries to direct me to the huddler site and prompts the error message. It also happens when I click on the HTF icon in the top left-hand corner of every HTF page.

Is there a setting that have to change? Maybe clear my cache/cookies or something. I hate to do that and have to re-enter all my passwords, etc.

Greg_S_H

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Greg
If you do the cookie thing, you can type in hometheaterforum in the search box at the top of your cookie list and just delete those. You'll have to reenter this password, but it will leave the rest alone.

It sounds like the DNS change hasn't propagated to your ISP. Wait a few days and it may work. If someone knows the numerical address, you can type that for now.

schan1269

HTF Expert
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Sam
Make sure Firefox is set to remove all the cookies and clear cache(in your OP system) when you close any browser(even IE or Chrome).

I've tried the new format on Opera, Chrome, Safari(on a PC), Firefox and IE.

Opera took me to Huddler as well, but that was before I set the browser to cancel cookies on exit.

Mike Frezon

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Okay. I found the right dialogue box in "Options."

I deleted what I thought were all the cookies connected with www.hometheaterforum.com...but it hasn't changed anything.

I did, however, have to sign back in to the HTF.

moviepas

Supporting Actor
I initially last night could not sign in(Firefox) and got a new password when I switched to Google Chrome and the same happened. Then I was in. Today my usual default, Firefox, opened it no worries and I am logged in always on both. At least for now.

I do miss that block at the end of the pages for running threads. I guess I will get used to the panel down the right-hand side.

BobO'Link

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Howie
Mike Frezon said:
I'm not very bright about these things...so I am here to ask for help.

And I figure if I'm having this problem...maybe others are, too.

Whenever I enter www.hometheaterforum.com into my URL bar, Firefox wants to direct me to Huddler and I get the following error message:

Even when I "google" Home Theater Forum and click on the link www.hometheaterforum.com in the search results the browser tries to direct me to the huddler site and prompts the error message. It also happens when I click on the HTF icon in the top left-hand corner of every HTF page.

Is there a setting that have to change? Maybe clear my cache/cookies or something. I hate to do that and have to re-enter all my passwords, etc.
Do you get the same issue with IE? If so, I'd say your ISP hasn't had the DNS records propagate yet.

Another possibility is someone/something has changed your hosts file to include a pointer for hometheaterforum (very handy to have for often used sites if DNS stops working but can cause issues with site changes). If you are running a Windows OS you'll find the hosts file at:

WINDOWSsystem32driversetc

Use a text editor (notepad) to open the hosts file and see if there's a line that looks something like (I put zeros in the IP as I don't know the huddler address. If the line exists it'll have the old IP for hometheaterforum):

0.0.0.0 hometheaterforum.com

If that line is there remove it and save the hosts file. If you are running Windows 7 you'll need to copy the file to the desktop to edit and save it. If Notepad added a .txt extension to the file, remove it and drop the edited file back in the original folder. You may have to change the ability to see known file extentions to remove a added .txt extension.

Then close and reopen your browser. A reboot shouldn't be necessary. The issue should be resolved.

BobO'Link

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Howie
schan1269 said:
Make sure Firefox is set to remove all the cookies and clear cache(in your OP system) when you close any browser(even IE or Chrome).

I've tried the new format on Opera, Chrome, Safari(on a PC), Firefox and IE.

Opera took me to Huddler as well, but that was before I set the browser to cancel cookies on exit.
Be careful setting your browser to remove *all* cookies on exit. Doing so will cause you to have to re-enter usernames and passwords on sites that would normally "remember" you as cookies are used for this functionality. This can also cause shopping sites to lose the contents of your cart or you may lose custom site settings (Amazon and Google are big offenders in the "using cookies for site preferences" camp although your Amazon cart is login based). If this is the behavior you want that's OK but many people do not like this happening.

schan1269

HTF Expert
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Sam
BobO said:
Be careful setting your browser to remove *all* cookies on exit. Doing so will cause you to have to re-enter usernames and passwords on sites that would normally "remember" you as cookies are used for this functionality. This can also cause shopping sites to lose the contents of your cart or you may lose custom site settings (Amazon and Google are big offenders in the "using cookies for site preferences" camp although your Amazon cart is login based). If this is the behavior you want that's OK but many people do not like this happening.
I forgot the fact I have an alternate program that saves pertinent information for me. Sort of a "password keeper". You have to know I have it running but since I'm on Audiogon/Ebay/Craigslist/USPS/UPS and several forums 3-5 hours a day, it was handy to use the outside program. I log out of that password program when I'm not using a computer...then if on another one, I enter that password website and log back in(works on any computer).I use a phone, two different Ipads, 3 laptops and two different PCs. So my need to keep passwords safe overrules cookies(for me).

Parker Clack

Schizophrenic Man
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Parker
Mike:

With moving the forum from one service provider to another over the years Greg's explanation is usually what the cause is.
I am able to get to the new site in all my browsers with no problem. It may take you a couple of days to get the DNS change to your ISP.
Greg_S_H said:
It sounds like the DNS change hasn't propagated to your ISP. Wait a few days and it may work. If someone knows the numerical address, you can type that for now.
Packy

Mike Frezon

Premium
Senior HTF Member
I'm afraid it is. I haven't yet done everything that's been suggested to me, however.

About the only thing I did was go into my Options/Cookies/dialogue box and delete everything connected to Hometheaterforum.com. But that didn't work.

This is what I see everytime I click on the HTF icon in the upper left hand corner of any HTF page while using my browser of choice--Firefox:

View attachment 208

Mike Frezon

Premium
Senior HTF Member
I don't know what this means, but I just got to the HTF as I should via Chrome.

Attachments

• HTF Huddler Error.jpg
    HTF Huddler Error.jpg
    36.9 KB · Views: 208

schan1269

HTF Expert
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Sam
When you were asking about "why can't I get it" and seeing what you posted...

I was having fits that day as well. Last night and this morning are the first times I've gotten to the forum with no-fuss. Using any browser.

Depending on what I'm watching/looking for, I'll even break out Opera(which is great for Tumblr/Pinterest)

Parker Clack

Schizophrenic Man
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Parker
Mike:

Sounds like a Firefox issue to me. As you can get here fine with Chrome.

In addition to hometheaterforum in your cookies file look for anything associated with huddler too.

It may not be your cookies but your browsers cache. Have you tried clearing the cache in Firefox?

Something is still loaded in your Firefox browser that is redirecting it to the huddler site.

Packy

Mike Frezon

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Parker:

I'll definitely look into that when I get a chance later at home tonight.

Nice to see one of the classic avatar images back!

BobO'Link

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Howie
Parker Clack said:
Mike:

Sounds like a Firefox issue to me. As you can get here fine with Chrome.

In addition to hometheaterforum in your cookies file look for anything associated with huddler too.

It may not be your cookies but your browsers cache. Have you tried clearing the cache in Firefox?

Something is still loaded in your Firefox browser that is redirecting it to the huddler site.

Packy
Ditto. As Chrome works don't bother with finding and checking the hosts file as I'd suggested earlier. If it were your issue you'd see the problem across all browsers. You can do a "quickie" cache refresh/update on a single page by holding down the shift key while clicking on the reload icon/button but I don't know if this will do the trick on this occasion.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Joshua32
Recent bookmarks