What's new

Firefly 10/4 (1 Viewer)

BrianW

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Brian
They actually had NO SOUND in space.
Timothy, you're not the first one to notice this. I mentioned this in another thread, and I don’t think I was the first, either. But even as a hard-core "Sci-Fi Aficionado,” I’ve always been quick to forgive the “sound-in-space” element. After all, we’re being told a story, not given witness to events as they actually unfold. It’s just one of many of the storyteller’s tools of embellishment to make it more exciting. But I must confess that after three episodes of this show, I find the outer space POV shots to be much more exciting without sound. I know in my gut that’s as it should be, but I find myself surprised nonetheless. It’s way cooler than I expected, and now I suddenly have a heightened disregard for those movie and television directors (with one notable exception ;)) who didn’t have the guts to try it before now.
Also, I’m all for genre bending. SF doesn’t require laser blasters and anti-gravity scooters. Gunpowder and horses are just as valid. If this show is killed by the SF camp, it won't be due to the likes of me.
I especially like the way they had to suit up Vera.

Martin Rendall

Screenwriter
My wife rightly pointed out that the Firefly theme song is way better than the Enterprise theme song.

Oh, and Firefly is a good show.

Martin.

Steve Felix

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Steve Felix
You're absolutely right about the sound issue, Brian. The lack of it makes the scenes more graceful, and underlines the wonder of space.

The theme song is growing on me.

CaptDS9E

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Joey
I almost missed the episode because here in NYC it was supposed to go on at 5 PM EST but they started it at 4:20 right when baseball ended. I was glad i put in a tape a hour early before i left or i would have missed Fly/Doe because my tivo was set at 5

capt

Phil Florian

Screenwriter
Which Han Solo is he trying to be? Ep 4 Original Cut? New "didn't shoot first" cut? Or the coked out Episode 6 goofy Han? There are so many to choose from! :D
Phil

Patrick Sun

Senior HTF Member
I'm going to give Firefly a good half season to win me over (simply due to Joss Whedon's track record). Currently, after 3 episodes, I'm still a bit intrigued, but the next 8 will have to pick up the pace, or be very funny in a character-driven manner.

Ron McBadger

Stunt Coordinator
I am all for giving Firefly a chance but come on bullets in space?
I am guessing that these first few episodes are fairly generic on purpose or at least thats my hope:) If this show does not start getting into some type of arc I would be surprised if it makes it past episode 13

Danny R

Supporting Actor
Who knew Academy Training included Companionship courses.

While we haven't had much to go on yet, I have a feeling this is not a generic "space academy" she was refering to, but a specific Companion Academy.

I did notice the little detail about this supposedly taking place in ONE solar system. A bit unrealistic (even for Sci-Fi) that there are hundreds of inhabited worlds in one system, if you ask me. Easily overlooked though, IMO.

What detail are you refering? I haven't gotten this impression at all. In fact I'm pretty certain they are actually moving from system to system, but have purposely avoided bringing attention to how this is accomplished.

One impression I do get is that Earth is either gone or just a myth, ala Battlestar Galactica.

Martin Rendall

Screenwriter
I am all for giving Firefly a chance but come on bullets in space?
Er, why not? They used oxygen to ignite the gunpowder, and little bullets will travel very well in a vacuum. I suppose you would rather see laser guns ala. Moonraker??

Frankly, it as a very original idea... at least for television.

Martin.

Jason Seaver

Senior HTF Member
What detail are you refering? I haven't gotten this impression at all. In fact I'm pretty certain they are actually moving from system to system, but have purposely avoided bringing attention to how this is accomplished.
The jury still hasn't made an official ruling, but the opening narration specifically says "a new system", and there have been specific references to worlds being terraformed. Also, the political situation - "inner worlds" versus "outer colonies" - seems to imply a single system, as well. Whether this is more or less believable than FTL is up to you. Me, I'm surprised at all the planets with apparently Earth-normal gravity, but that bugs me on "Star Trek", too.

I suppose a multiple-star system (Alpha Centauri A/B?) is possible, but how many are within a few light-years of Earth? Remember, this is only supposed to be 2517 or so, and interstellar distances are big, especially when 3E8 m/s isn't just a good idea...

Martin Rendall

Screenwriter
Interesting Jason. There would have to be a lot of planets in one solar system in order to have a new place ever week... unless the show gets cancelled, of course.

I think a common requirement of space operas is a suspension of disbelief regarding speed of light limitations. Anyway, didn't you know, scientists have already broken that barrier in lab tests!

Now if we're going to get picky... how come we can see the ships at all? What's the light source? It certainly doesn't seem to be a point source (star) in the CG shots, but rather an ambient light.

Martin.

Jason Seaver

Senior HTF Member
I think a common requirement of space operas is a suspension of disbelief regarding speed of light limitations. Anyway, didn't you know, scientists have already broken that barrier in lab tests!
Unless I've missed something huge, only for information - Bell's Theorem stuff. Energy, let alone anything particle-based, is still totally blue-sky stuff.

Besides, I like speed-of-light limitations. You can have tons of fun with them if you're a good writer.

Glenn Overholt

Senior HTF Member
Martin, you can see the ships because there are space-cams monitoring everything. Provided by the IGT (Inter-galactic Communications Co, PTY, LTD. (etc.) :)
Glenn

Mike St.Louis

Supporting Actor
I think this show is a breath of fresh air and one of the most intersting science fiction shows next to Farscape.

Well worth tuning in.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nielmb
Recent bookmarks