What's new

Firefly 10/4 (1 Viewer)

Phil Florian

Screenwriter
This episode was a hoot! Again another fine show where expectations were turned on their head. I thought this would another play on the "Elaan of Troyous" from the original Star Trek run but it turned out to be a funny bait and switch. Some great dialogue and a moment that allowed Ron Glass to play to his comedic chops. Thankfully, they also allowed the Tam Family drama to take a real back seat. I love the Doctor and his sister's story, but I am glad we don't have to deal with it every week. Wash and Zoe are a hoot as a couple. Who knew Academy Training included Companionship courses. Sign me up for the practical exams if they need volunteers!

Phil

Robert Ringwald

Senior HTF Member
I like that is has no sound also, it adds realistic stuff.
4.3/8 rating. :) Not bad considering the day and timeslot I think. Maybe this one will stick around for a full season

Andrew Beacom

Supporting Actor
I set the VCR the night before so I would'nt miss it this week. And I'm glad I did. It was entertaining and funny. I was glad we got some space stuff in the 2nd half of the show. All the horses are starting to worry my sci-fi sensibilities.

Andrew Beacom

Supporting Actor
Don't know about anyone else but the episide wasn't in WS. What's the deal with this? Joss is shooting in 16x9 but Fox is cropping?

Is this happening locally or at a national level?

Joel Mack

Senior HTF Member
Didn't anyone catch Preacher's line:
"You will burn on a special level of Hell, reserved for child molesters and people who talk during movies"
:laugh:

Jeff Kleist

Senior HTF Member
Fox stopped showing it in widescreen because it didn't do some outrageous rating they wanted to keep it wide

@#$#@#@$#@$#!%#@$#$!@#$

Joss and Tim Minear SPECIFICALLY requested 16:9

Wayne W

Stunt Coordinator
This show keeps getting better and better. This was a stand out episode for me. Can't wait for the next episode in a couple of weeks.

BrianShort

Supporting Actor
I thought this was a terrific episode as well... the first week where I thought it was equal to, if not slightly better, than John Doe.

I did notice the little detail about this supposedly taking place in ONE solar system. A bit unrealistic (even for Sci-Fi) that there are hundreds of inhabited worlds in one system, if you ask me. Easily overlooked though, IMO.

Patrick Sun

Senior HTF Member
Oh my goodness, the dialog in the first half was really funny stuff, plenty of LOL moments and lines.

"Good bible."

Now the rest of the season, I do wonder how they'll be able to just wander around the galaxy and still make the show compelling.

BTW, if IIRC, the actress playing Saffron was the battered wife neighbor of Abby's on ER.

James Zubb

Stunt Coordinator
I hate baseball. Firefly was preempted by the ESPN broadcast of the Angel's game here in LA. So Tivo recorded an hour of baseball for me. :frowning: Haven't found it online yet, if anyone has a pointer send it my way.

Frank Anderson

Senior HTF Member
I really hated the way this episode started off. I want Science fiction not westerns. However I am probably the only person in America who is having problems with it. Other than that the rest of the show was probably the best 55 minutes of a TV show I have seen in a very long time. The dialoge and interaction between the characters was outstanding. I hope it stays this good.

Phil Florian

Screenwriter
I kind of like the wandering premise. It worked for me in Cowboy Bebop because, while many episodes were "one day, while flying around..." type things, they still found times for more "settled" episodes on one planet or focusing on one character. It can work if done well and with the usual through line that is in all of Whedon's shows. Vondie Curtis Hall directed...isn't he like some big time movie director? That is cool! One other thing that I liked was when Shepherd Book said something about how these criminals worked, my wife responded "how does he know so much about crime." Seconds later, Jayne asked the same thing. I like that he wasn't merely used as exposition and they recognized what people would think. Very hip.

Ciao,

Phil

Robert Ringwald

Senior HTF Member
The stand alone 'wandering' episodes will most likely stop after the first 6 or so. After that they're more "serial" like I heard.

Craig S

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Craig Seanor
Fox stopped showing it in widescreen because it didn't do some outrageous rating they wanted to keep it wide
I don't understand Fox. NBC has been showing "ER" & "The West Wing" in widescreen for 2 years, and I believe both of those shows are rated higher than anything on Fox. Really a clueless decision.

"Firefly" is settling in nicely for me. This and "Boomtown" look like the new shows I will be sticking with this season.

LarryDavenport

Senior HTF Member
Another great episode IMO. It's funny (NOT) that they flashed the FOX "Widescreen" logo on the screen while showing the show in P&S. I guess you need to have an HDTV set and live in a market that FOX broadcasts a digital signal.

Ron McBadger

Stunt Coordinator
Firefly is not a good show. Sure the 3rd episode shown had its moments but over all I do not like it.

As a show it is no where near as good as Farscape or even DS9...if you ask me you might as well call it the Adventures of a guy trying to be like Han Solo.

Steve Felix

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Steve Felix
Great episode! I gained much confidence in the cast Friday night.

I'm glad to see the Western element holding its ground for the time being; I hope the sci-fi aficionados won't be the squeaky wheels and try to push it out.

Firefly is a good show.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation715
Recent bookmarks