What's new

Finally upgrading iPhone 4 to iPhone 7 Plus - what can I expect? (1 Viewer)

Peter Apruzzese

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Peter Apruzzese
Title says it all, my ancient 4 is finally just about unusable with home button failure and general slowness.

I've read some of the iOS 10 and iPhone 7 reviews, so have an OK idea - but are there any surprises or traps I need to watch out for? Using Verizon.

And is doing an iTunes Backup and Restore to the new phone the best way to transfer data/contacts/photos/message history/etc,? I don't care about transferring music/video as I only keep a little bit of it on the phone and have a Phone playlist in iTunes that I can use to load it fresh.

Thanks.

Alf S

BANNED
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Alfer
I've heard some folks say it's too big to operate one handled comfortably, so be ready for that if you switch.

dpippel

Yoyodyne Propulsion Systems
Supporter
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Doug
That was my experience. The 7 Plus is unwieldy for one-handed operation, so I went with the 7.

dpippel

Yoyodyne Propulsion Systems
Supporter
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Doug
And is doing an iTunes Backup and Restore to the new phone the best way to transfer data/contacts/photos/message history/etc,? I don't care about transferring music/video as I only keep a little bit of it on the phone and have a Phone playlist in iTunes that I can use to load it fresh.

Yep, this is the easiest way to handle moving to a new iPhone Peter. Good luck!

Joseph Bolus

Senior HTF Member
You're in for a pleasant *shock*!!
Just ask Siri ... Oh, wait: You can't do that!!!

Seriously, the difference between an iPhone 4 and an iPhone 7 Plus is like the difference between working with "stone knives and bearskins" and a Oak Ridge National Laboratory Titan!

I suggest having smelling salts nearby before switching on the new phone for the first time!!!

Patrick_S

Senior HTF Member
The size different will be a shock but you will quickly get over it. Then you will start to wonder how you every survived with the 4's small screen.

DaveF

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Dave
It's a big upgrade. It will be much more responsive. The camera quality is much better, dramatically so for indoor or low-light environments. There are features the iPhone 4 simply didn't have, Siri and Apple Pay in particular.

Do a backup of your iPhone 4 in iTunes with the backup password protected (and do not lose that password!). Restore the new iPhone from that backup. That will transfer all your data and settings.

Another option: set the new iPhone up clean, login to your Apple ID account and let your contacts and calendars populate from that. You'd set up your photo syncing and music syncing anew in iTunes in this approach.

Peter Apruzzese

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Peter Apruzzese
Just started using it this morning after doing a backup/restore from the old phone overnight (which required an iOS update to make it compatible).

No more squinting :)

Looking forward to trying out all the features.

Peter Apruzzese

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Peter Apruzzese
Have only taken a few test shots but I agree, they looks great. Looking forward to giving it a real workout next time I get on the bike and see some scenery.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nielmb
Recent bookmarks