What's new

iPhone 7 Plus: What Did I Just Buy?!!! (1 Viewer)

Ronald Epstein

Founder
Owner
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ronald Epstein
So can someone let me know when ios10 is safe to get. thanks.

I have been running it in beta for the past two months and it has performed perfectly.

I don't think you will have any issues.

Clinton McClure

Rocket Science Department
Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Clint
Ron - I think Tony was referring to the 1st hour glitch experienced yesterday where OTA updating was resulting in bricked devices and required connecting to a Mac or PC running iTunes to restore the device.

Tony - From everything I read, updating via iTunes is safe. Apple says the OTA update method is fixed now but I haven't tried it.

*edited to correct spelling errors

Dave Scarpa

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
David Scarpa
You know, sometimes I buy things on impulse and then think about it more a little later.

When co-workers saw me diddling with my phone this morning at 3am trying to get into the Apple Store, they asked me how much I paid for my new iPhone 7.

I told them, "You don't want to know."

The iPhone 7 Plus 128GB Jet Black cost me a little over $900.

That's $900 f-ing dollars! I thought phones on contract only cost $300.

Now, granted, I got the Plus and 128GB -- but $900?

Now here is where it gets confusing....

I joined the Apple Upgrade Program. I am paying $40.37 a month for the phone for two years.

So, per year, that's $484.44

But I get an upgrade (iPhone 8) in a year. So I take it part of that $900 is for two phones? I would feel much better if that was the case.

Also..

Anyone know if I can pay it off in full day one? It's essentially a bank taking over the loan. Can I pay this off totally and not worry about monthly payments?

Somebody who has a grip on this thing please reply with a simplistic answer that an idiot like me can understand.

I decided to hold off for the 8 , i ended up selling my 6 Plus and I ended up taking the SE 64gb phone on a 20 month plan, making me eligible for trade in the year

Dave Scarpa

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
David Scarpa
Oh, now I understand.

Damn.

You know, these things are so confusing --- but then again --- they are meant to be. Companies don't want customers understanding up front what they are getting into.

Ron if you dropped $900 you should have just bit the bullet and got the 256gb version

Clinton McClure

Rocket Science Department
Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Clint
As a follow-up to my post this morning:

I updated to iOS 10 via iTunes today and it went smoothly. I'm really digging most of the changes.

DaveF

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Dave
So can someone let me know when ios10 is safe to get. thanks.
In about 12 months, after iOS 11 is released.

:D

I kid, I kid.

Seriously the safe money is to wait until after the first 10.0.x update is out. There's always little hiccups and glitches that get fixed in the first month or two. And even a major snafu, as with the first-hour update crashes.

But I plan to upgrade this weekend. These public betas seem to help a lot, and you get the votes of confidence from the beta users.

ManW_TheUncool

His Own Fool
Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
ManW
Despite my own complaints about the iPhone 7's loss of headphone jack, my wife might finally switch to the 7-plus what w/ Samsung dropping the ball w/ the Note 7 -- actually got that for her from Costco couple days after its release, but returned it already.

She doesn't generally use headphones w/ her phone, so the lost jack isn't an issue for her. And even if her Note 7's battery doesn't burst into flames or blow up, it's not easily replaceable anymore, so one less reason to choose it over the iPhone... :P

In about 12 months, after iOS 11 is released.

:D

I kid, I kid.

Seriously the safe money is to wait until after the first 10.0.x update is out. There's always little hiccups and glitches that get fixed in the first month or two. And even a major snafu, as with the first-hour update crashes.

Precisely why I'll be waiting -- AFAIK, nothing in iOS 10 I can't live w/out for a couple months anyway.

But I plan to upgrade this weekend. These public betas seem to help a lot, and you get the votes of confidence from the beta users.

It would help if Apple made it easier to revert back to previous version in case of issues, but...

_Man_

Carlo_M

Senior HTF Member
Apple tricked ya, Dave. The Golden Master of iOS 10 was already 10.0.1, so there was no 10.0.0. Those tricky devils. They knew it was fashionable for people to say "wait for the .1 version before upgrading" so that's what they shipped on Day 1. ;)

Carlo_M

Senior HTF Member
My 7 Plus 256GB Jet Black left China yesterday, departed from Taiwan today, and is supposed to arrive by "end of day" Monday according to UPS. Damn that's fast. On Thursday I got the "preparing for shipment" notice, and within 5 days (2 of which are a weekend) it's going to be in my hands. I can't wait!

And yes I've been using 10.0.1 and it seems to be very stable thus far.

Ronald Epstein

Founder
Owner
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ronald Epstein
My 7 Plus 256GB Jet Black left China yesterday, departed from Taiwan today, and is supposed to arrive by "end of day" Monday according to UPS. Damn that's fast. On Thursday I got the "preparing for shipment" notice, and within 5 days (2 of which are a weekend) it's going to be in my hands. I can't wait!

And yes I've been using 10.0.1 and it seems to be very stable thus far.

Carlo,

I want to congratulate you on your purchase. My phone (exactly the same as yours) is still two weeks away. However, I just got Apple to upgrade me to next day shipping.

Question...

Was your release date moved up at all from what was originally promised?

Carlo_M

Senior HTF Member
Hi Ron. I ordered mine around 12:10am on release night (they opened preordering late, they said 12:01 but I kept hitting refresh until I could order it). Originally I was promised "ships in 1-2 weeks" with an Sept 26 - Oct 2 delivery. Then when it changed to Preparing for shipment on Thursday, the delivery estimate shifted to Sept. 23 - 30. And then now that it's shipped, UPS says it's supposed to come on Monday, although on my iPhone Apple Store App it still says estimated delivery Sep. 23 - 30.

Ronald Epstein

Founder
Owner
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ronald Epstein
Hi Ron. I ordered mine around 12:10am on release night (they opened preordering late, they said 12:01 but I kept hitting refresh until I could order it). Originally I was promised "ships in 1-2 weeks" with an Sept 26 - Oct 2 delivery. Then when it changed to Preparing for shipment on Thursday, the delivery estimate shifted to Sept. 23 - 30. And then now that it's shipped, UPS says it's supposed to come on Monday, although on my iPhone Apple Store App it still says estimated delivery Sep. 23 - 30.

Carlo,

That's excellent news. So you were moved up a week.

I got off the phone with Apple this morning, They are saying that they are seeing many orders being moved up.

They did give me free next day delivery for talking with them on the phone.

Carlo_M

Senior HTF Member
Gotta love the routes for international shipping. My phone has gone from Hong Kong to Taiwan to Anchorage to Louisville, en route to me in Los Angeles. There's gotta be a more direct way than that. :rolling-smiley:

Carlo_M

Senior HTF Member
And within a few hours it's in so cal. Gonna take a few hours off tomorrow to make sure I'm home for my new baby. Backing up my iPhone 6 soon!

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nielmb
Recent bookmarks