What's new
Signup for GameFly to rent the newest 4k UHD movies!

Fear and Loathing in Las Vegas DVD Question. (1 Viewer)

Mat Kr

Grip
I love this movie but I was wondering if I should buy the regular version or the Criterion Collection DVD. Does anyone have any suggestions? Thanks!

Nick Sievers

Senior HTF Member
Well since you love the film the Criterion hands down. It is one of those on my wish list that I keep pushing back for a purchase later on.

Josh Pounds

Stunt Coordinator
Buy the Criterion version. This DVD set has amazing picture quality, and extras that are simply too unique not to pick up.

I have no idea when this title is going OOP with Criterion, but if you like the film even a little bit, buy this version before it does go OOP. The commentary track with Laila Nabulsi and Dr. Hunter S. Thompson is worth the 40 dollars alone, IMO.

However, one thing you ought to take into consideration, if this is a big deal for you -- the set does feature both a Dolby Digital 5.1 and DTS track, however both of these tracks are absent the foley effects in the center channel. This is Universal Picture's doing, as Criterion was simply supplied with the elements. They did not actually DO the mixing. However, as with most Criterion discs, the original sound mix is present, in this case Dolby Digital 2-channel which decodes nicely via Dolby Prologic II. This track is fine.

In short, BUY BUY BUY this disc. You will not regret it.

Grant B

Senior HTF Member
I love when HST refers to Terry Gilliam As the CartoonMaker or whatever he slurs into the microphone

JoshB

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Joshua Bal
I bought it as a blind buy (the Criterion) and was blown away. A great film, great A/V, and more extras than you can believe. A must have...

JoshB

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Joshua Bal
I actually got mine from here at HTF by trading a few titles that I had upgraded. Even if you only somewhat liek the film, the DVD is one of Criterion's best and one of the top special editoons out there.

Matt Czyz

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Matt Czyz
Just because it was pointed out earlier that the Criterion has awesome PQ, DVDBeaver did a comparison between the regular release and the Criterion and found that they look almost exactly the same.

http://207.136.67.23/film/dvdcompare...ndloathing.htm

But yeah, if you're a big fan of the film, the Criterion's the way to go (which I own myself).

...such pretty packaging....I loves it.....

Kevin M

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Kevin Ray

As other's have mentioned, I picked this up at Best Buy last Saturday for $28.99.....get it now.

Mat Kr

Grip
There will be no more questions. For when I buy this dvd, I shall buy CRITERION! I thank you comrades for your words of wisdom.

Estevan Lapena

Stunt Coordinator
Get that criterion! One of the funniest commentaries ever featuring Hunter S. Thompson. EEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEE!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! !!!!!!!

Ray_R

Screenwriter
Real Name
R. Ray Rogers II
If you like more features and such, go with Criterion's. If not, go with the other one.
In my case, I own the Criterion one!
;)
It also has to deal with how much money you're willing to spend. Although I found Criterion to overcharge their products sometimes... It's really up to you. :D

MichaelPR

Second Unit
I'm going to have to also vote for the criterion in this case. It has been one of my most watched DVDs lately. Great bonus material also.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jrharris
Recent bookmarks