What's new

Fantastic Journey (1 Viewer)

Jack P

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jack
Why Sony didn't do this as an on-demand release like they did with "Ghost Story" and "Born Free" I'll never know.

Not splurging for an R4 to replace a boot.

johnnybear

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
John
That is excellent news indeed, Andy! I hope it will be available through Amazon AU?
JB

Neil Brock

Senior HTF Member
I recorded them a couple of years ago when GET-TV ran them all on 2 successive Sunday overnights, all complete and uncut. I believe that Logan's Run had the same producer which accounts for the similarity in the shows. Another similar show, which I recorded when it aired on CBS was Otherworld.

AndyMcKinney

Senior HTF Member
EDIT: I just found out on Roobarb's Forum that someone there has contacted Madman and that the runtime listed on the boxart is wrong. Total runtime is 508 minutes, so all the episodes should be full broadcast length (including the 73-minute pilot).

One of the two people who contacted the company have said that all episodes (except the pilot) will include their original pre-credits teasers.

Last edited:

johnnybear

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
John
I've sent Madman a message but no reply as of this morning! Thanks for that though, Andy!
JB

Pathfiner

Second Unit
Real Name
Jeff
while most of Irwin Allen's TV shows had no proper resolution The Time Tunnel concluding story 'Town of Terror' does end with Tony and Doug appearing to return to the Titanic as in the pilot episode creating the impression of a recurring cycle...

likewise with 'Land of The Giants' if you swap around the final two episodes running order - 'Graveyard of Fools' is a general episode that can go second to last....and move the penultimate story; 'Wild Journey' (guest star Bruce Dern) up to final episode this is a Time travel based tale including footage of 'The Crash' pilot episode and can stand as another odd 'Twilight Zone' style recurring circle thing as the loss of the Spindrift craft is repeated...

I tend to take 'The Flaming Planet' (season three) as final episode of 'Lost in Space' as all the cast feature and it ends with all heading off into space aboard the Jupiter 2 presumably bound for Alpha Centauri...

while re the western show 'Alias Smith and Jones' the latter third season episode; 'The Day The Amnesty Came Through' makes the best series conclusion - where the pair get ANOTHER year to 'stay out of trouble' etc...and repeat their lines from the pilot TV Movie about 'that's a good deal ?" etc

this makes a more fitting ending for a show minus any proper conclusion - the actual last episode 'Only Three To A Bed' again is a general tale that can go in anywhere in season three

I'm still praying for a DVD release of at least SOME restored episodes of 'The Name of The Game' (those COZI TV screened a while back ?) ....but can't see it somehow !!

johnnybear

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
John
The Night of The Marionettes was the last episode of Land of The Giants to be made rather than the Bruce Dern show, Pathfinder! But I know what you're getting at but it doesn't bother me much as I always watch a series in a different order every time if I can! It livens up my interest!
JB

Neil Brock

Senior HTF Member
Concluding episodes of series were virtually non-existent prior to the 80s. It was thought that ending the premise of a show would hurt it in syndication. Quinn Martin was reluctant to shoot a final episode for The Fugitive for that reason but did relent, which was why it aired in August at the end of the rerun cycle and also why it was hastily thrown together and had many incongruities with the the back story of the series.

Jack P

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jack
while most of Irwin Allen's TV shows had no proper resolution The Time Tunnel concluding story 'Town of Terror' does end with Tony and Doug appearing to return to the Titanic as in the pilot episode creating the impression of a recurring cycle..

I think that's overanalyzing it. All they were doing was previewing the first episode to be repeated after getting through the entire season's worth of episodes.

Jack P

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jack
while re the western show 'Alias Smith and Jones' the latter third season episode; 'The Day The Amnesty Came Through' makes the best series conclusion - where the pair get ANOTHER year to 'stay out of trouble' etc...and repeat their lines from the pilot TV Movie about 'that's a good deal ?" etc

this makes a more fitting ending for a show minus any proper conclusion - the actual last episode 'Only Three To A Bed' again is a general tale that can go in anywhere in season three

In a similar vein, those of us who loved "Moonlighting" and saw the show ruined forever the instant Mark Harmon showed up, the best "last" episode is the S3 Christmas episode "It's A Wonderful Job". Treat that as the last episode and you never have to think about all the bad stuff that followed again!

Scott511

Second Unit
Real Name
Scott
. Some may wonder why it's not blu-ray.

The pilot has been airing off and on (in fact it's on again tonight) in HD on the Sony movie channel. Looks like a real HD picture to me, plus the channel does have a habit of running a disclaimer "the following program is upscaled..."when it's not a true HD transfer. The Fantastic Journey does not have the disclaimer.

Glad to see the program getting a release. Now hopefully Madman is not charging outrageous shipping cost. I cancelled my last order I was placing when the shipping was almost $20. That was sometime in 2018, heck shipping wasn't that much when I ordered the Buck Rogers blu ray set from them.

ScottRE

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Scott
I know this thread and post are ancient, but I found it fascinating and wanted to respond:
It would have been nice to see or hear whether the team was able to return to their time zone. There were many series that never received proper ending, like the following:

6. V the TV Series (1985) - we are left with leader and Elizabeth in the shuttle
If you totally ignore the line Diana has about there being a special gift aboard the shuttle that the Leader would get a "big bang" out of, this episode actually works as a conclusion. The Visitors and the humans engage in a tentative peace treaty. Even Donovan and Philip hav e a nice farewell exchange. Leaving Kyle stowing away to be with Elizabeth is a nice open ending about his feelings.

8. Time Tunnel - We never know whatever happens to Doug and Tony)
There was actually a short scene filmed with the pilot of Doug and Tony arriving home, to be used in the event the pilot wasn't sold or if they wanted to release it as a film. However, it is apparently wherever the Dennis Hopper pilot footage is. I've seen the stills and some 8mm "home movie" footage, but nothing finished.

9. Star Trek (never completed its five-year mission, if you count animated show then it was 4 years)
Star Trek
, like Voyage to the Bottom of the Sea, didn't need a conclusion. It wasn't a "quest" series or one with a central premise of the characters being lost. I never actually wanted to see them disband. I like the idea of them being together and continuing their missions. And yes, we had the films, so there was a resolution there, but finales where they tie of characters is more recent. The 60's rarely had them. Apparently The Fugitive's finale hurt the syndication ratings because everyone "knows how it ends." This never made sense to me. The Fugitive wasn't a mystery. It was still episodic, the only thing that was tied up was Kimble cleared his name. 120 episodes and each had its own ending. People rewatch shows knowing how they end, that's how Star Trek and others survive all these years. So the "knowing the ending" rationale doesn't work.

Anyway, shows like Trek, Wild WIld West, The Saint, Batman, etc, don't need finales. However, Gilligan's Island, The Invaders, Run for Your Life, Lost in Space, The Immortal. and Land of the Giants did. And other than Gilligan in the 70's never got one.

Jack P

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jack
I don't regard "Incredible Hulk" as having truly resolved itself because the awful post-series movies didn't give us the moment we'd waited to see which was Jack McGee being confronted with the truth (he had a thankless appearance in the first movie but wasn't in the final two).

It's in fact because "Incredible Hulk" has no true ending for me (which also sets the record straight regarding Susan Sullivan's death in the pilot as an accident and not murder), that I find it harder to rewatch whereas with "The Fugitive" I am more comfortable enjoying the individual episodes because I can feel good knowing that eventually Dr. Kemble will be vindicated.

Add "Battlestar Galactica" to the list of the shows that also didn't get (and deserved) closure (and I'm not talking about a certain show I don't acknowledge the existence of). The final real episode "The Hand Of God" does end on a strong note of hope that they're moving in the right direction which at least keeps things in a positive frame of mind for viewers and IMO is also why the original series has inspired a lot of creative speculation over the years over what happened next.

On a less serious note, here's how you end "Run For Your Life" and "The Immortal" in the same project. Paul Bryan and Ben Richards are walking down the street in opposite directions and without looking collide with each other, fall to the sidewalk get cut so their blood mingles.

"You got your fatal disease in my immortal blood!"
"You got your immortal blood in my fatal disease!"

Suddenly they're back to their normal selves again. :)

johnnybear

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
John
Trek TAS was actually a two series show so the original did have it's five year mission plus even if you don't count TAS as canon then in the TOS the Stardates mentioned by Kirk had already reached the five point so they could have been the final days of their voyages as well! Stardate order ends with All Our Yesterdays funnily enough as well!
JB

Scott511

Second Unit
Real Name
Scott
So who in the states has placed an order for this directly from Madman? What was the shipping charge?

I went over to Madman, and they want a whopping $24 to ship to the U.S. I've placed plenty of past orders from Madman for Darkroom, Buck Rogers, McCloud, etc. and the shipping charge was always $8.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
papill6n
Recent bookmarks