What's new

Press Release WHV Press Release: Smallville: The Complete Series 20th Anniversary (Blu-ray) (1 Viewer)

Ronald Epstein

Founder
Owner
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ronald Epstein
Smallville-CS-20th-Anniv-BD-Boxart1.jpg Smallville-CS-20th-Anniv-BD-Boxart2.jpg

It’s been 20 years since Clark Kent first arrived in Kansas, and in honor of the 20th Anniversary of the remarkable series, Smallville: The Complete Series 20th Anniversary Edition will soar onto Blu-ray for the first time ever from Warner Bros. Home Entertainment on October 19, 2021. This set for the ultimate fan features all 218 episodes along with over 28 hours of bonus features from all 10 incredible seasons, plus Digital Copy (US Only). Smallville: The Complete Series 20thAnniversary Edition Blu-ray is priced to own at $179.99 SRP ($209.99 in Canada) and will also be available on DVD for $154.99 SRP ($184.99 in Canada).

The groundbreaking, Emmy®-winning 10-season hit that redefined the origins of the world’s greatest super hero is all here – from Krypton refugee Kal-El’s arrival on Earth through his tumultuous teen years to Clark Kent’s final steps toward embracing his destiny as the Man of Steel. Relive a decade’s worth of thrills in fantastic adventures full of action, heart and humor in abundance, all anchored by the marvelous performance of Tom Welling at its center. Savor again the series’ thoughtful and imaginative integration and reinvention of the iconic characters of DC lore. And let your spirits be lifted up, up and away.

Starring Tom Welling as “Clark Kent,” Allison Mack as “Chloe Sullivan,” Kristin Kreuk as “Lana Lang,” Michael Rosenbaum as “Lex Luthor,” John Glover as “Lionel Luthor,” Erica Durance as “Lois Lane,” Annette O’Toole as “Martha Kent,” John Schneider as “Jonathan Kent,” Justin Hartley as “Oliver Queen,” Sam Jones III as “Pete Ross,” Cassidy Freeman as “Tess Mercer,” Aaron Ashmore as “Jimmy Olsen,” Eric Johnson as “Whitney Fordman,” Laura Vandervoort as “Kara,” Callum Blue as “Zod,” Jensen Ackles as “Jason Teague” and Sam Witwer as “Davis Bloome,” Smallville has also featured many notable guest stars including Terence Stamp, James Marsters, Michael McKean, Ian Somerhalder, Jane Seymour, Brian Austin Green, Pam Grier, Helen Slater, Michael Ironside, Julian Sands, Tori Spelling, Rutger Hauer and Christopher Reeve.

Superman was created by Jerry Siegel and Joe Shuster. Based on DC Comics characters, Smallville was developed for television by Alfred Gough & Miles Millar. Its executive producers have included Michael Tollin, Brian Robbins, Joe Davola, Alfred Gough and Miles Millar, James Marshall, Brian Peterson, Kelly Souders, Todd Slavkin, Darren Swimmer, Greg Beeman, Ken Horton and Tom Welling. The series is from Tollin/Robbins Productions, Millar/Gough Ink and Warner Bros. Television.

Smallville: The Complete Series 20th Anniversary Edition includes 2 DVD discs with over 28 hours of bonus features originally released on the Smallville Seasons 1-10 DVD sets.

MORE THAN 28 HOURS OF BONUS FEATURES

· The Adventures of Superboy – The original 1961 pilot starring John Rockwell.

· A Retrospective Look at the Series’ 10-Year Journey – An in-depth, season-by-season look at the creation of this landmark television series. Highlights include interviews with Tom Welling, Eric Durance, Michael Rosenbaum, Phil Morris, John Schneider and many more, as well as rare behind-the-scenes footage.

· A Decade of Comic-Con Featurette

· Paley Festival Featurette

· Smallville’s 100th Episode: Making of a Milestone – An extended version of the original featurette included in the Season 5 set.

· Secret Origin: The American Story of DC Comics – A feature length documentary chronicling DC’s 75 years of challenges, creativity, and triumph.

· Audio Commentaries, Deleted and Extended Scenes, Gag Reels,Behind-the-scenes featurettes and much more from all 10 seasons!

DIGITAL

Smallville: The Complete Series is currently available to own on Digital. Digital purchase allows consumers to instantly stream and download to watch anywhere and anytime on their favorite devices. Digital movies and TV shows are available from various digital retailers including Prime Video, Apple TV, Google Play, Vudu and others.

SMALLVILLE: THE COMPLETE SERIES 20th ANNIVERSARY EDITION

Street Date: October 19, 2021

Order Due Date: September 07, 2021

Blu-ray Presented in 16×9 widescreen format

Running time: Approx. 154 Hours

Blu-ray Price: $179.99 SRP ($209.99 in Canada)

42-Discs (40 BD-50s + 2 DVD-9s for the Bonus Features)

Thank you for supporting HTF when you preorder using the link below. If you are using an adblocker you will not see link. As an Amazon Associate HTF earns from qualifying purchases

Last edited:

jcroy

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
jr
Wonder if Warner will release invidual bluray season sets for each of the first five seasons.

IIRC, seasons 6 to 10 were released on bluray back in the day, while season 5 was released on hd-dvd.

Josh Steinberg

Premium
Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Josh Steinberg
I wish this had come out years ago. I was a big fan of this show when it aired, but I think I am content with my hybrid collection of DVDs and BDs. It hasn’t aged for me as well as I had hoped, and I’m not sure I have the desire/patience to revisit ten 20+ episode seasons where only about a third of the episodes focus on the serialized story arc that runs throughout the show.

Still, I am glad to see it coming out for those who may want it, and I think the SRP is very reasonable for ten seasons worth of discs. Once the retail discount is factored in, this should street at a very attractive price considering what’s included.

ScottRE

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Scott
I agree, this is one of the shows I followed every week for 10 years and really loved it. I'd be interested in revisiting the series, but I've reached a point in my life where a) I only buy shows I know I'll love and revisit and 2) are frankly shorter. I just see this series now and think "man, that's too many episodes. I'll never finish it."

The days of my "buying all the shows I ever liked" are behind me. Time was, a home video release of a show I liked was an immediate buy.

Besides, we're past the era of shows being coy about costumes and such. "No tights no flights" is the product of bygone days.

The show deserves its place in history, though. But thanks Alison Mack for kinda ruining some of the charm...

Josh Steinberg

Premium
Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Josh Steinberg
I keep trying and failing at my attempt to revisit the X-Files for the same reason - so many episodes, but their mundane filler doesn’t appeal to like Star Trek Next Generation episodes do.

I wonder if anyone online has compiled a list of Smallville mythology episodes. I could be down for a targeted rewatch that cut the episode number way down.

ScottRE

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Scott
I keep trying and failing at my attempt to revisit the X-Files for the same reason - so many episodes, but their mundane filler doesn’t appeal to like Star Trek Next Generation episodes do.

I wonder if anyone online has compiled a list of Smallville mythology episodes. I could be down for a targeted rewatch that cut the episode number way down.
I was buying the X-Files mythology episode sets back in the day but dropped off. The X-Files was one of those shows that needed to end when the lead left. It was about Mulder's quest and once he dropped off, so did I. Hell once he got the (disappointing) answers he was looking for, the series was over.

Smallville actually got really good in the back half. Once they embraced a mythology, brought in Lois, established arcs and ditched the Freak of the Week format, the series really took off. Some episodes gave me chills when they decided to give comic book fans what they wanted without breaking their own rules. Erica Durance is still my favorite modern Lois.

Mark-P

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Mark Probst
IIRC, seasons 6 to 10 were released on bluray back in the day, while season 5 was released on hd-dvd.
You just answered the question I was about to ask, which was, “Wasn’t this show already out on Blu-ray?” I guess it wasn’t complete.

Jake Lipson

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jake Lipson
Smallville was actually the first Superman thing I watched and it led me to the Christopher Reeve films. So I have a residual fondness for a lot of stuff in it. I came in late when I found it in syndication and then started watching the first run episodes. But then I gave up on it before it reached the end. I vaguely remember tuning back in for the finale and not understanding most of it because I had given up on the show so long ago.

When the show was good, it was REALLY good. However, as others have said, there were WAY too many filler episodes that don't go anywhere. This is exactly the kind of show that got bloated by the network mandate to make 22 episodes a year when half that would have made for more focused storytelling.

I don't know that I will feel the need to buy it, but I'll be curious to see what the price is when factoring in retailer discounts. I agree that the SRP is reasonable considering what is included. But $179.99 is a lot of money to pluck down at once, even if you get a lot of content in the deal.

I'm surprised this is not streaming on HBO Max, as they have a lot of other DC related content. If they ever put it up there, I would certainly be interested to watch some episodes again since I'm already using the service.

Last edited:

jcroy

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
jr
As decent this show was back in the day, I would probably find it difficult to revisit it nowadays.

Today it would be easier to watch through 200+ episodes of SpongeBob, than 200+ episodes of Smallville.

Jason_V

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jason
I wish this had come out years ago. I was a big fan of this show when it aired, but I think I am content with my hybrid collection of DVDs and BDs. It hasn’t aged for me as well as I had hoped, and I’m not sure I have the desire/patience to revisit ten 20+ episode seasons where only about a third of the episodes focus on the serialized story arc that runs throughout the show.

Still, I am glad to see it coming out for those who may want it, and I think the SRP is very reasonable for ten seasons worth of discs. Once the retail discount is factored in, this should street at a very attractive price considering what’s included.

I had the same reaction when I saw the news last night. This release is easily 10 years too late, likely more. I had all the individual seasons, got the BD's when those came out of the later years, watched every week. That's when I was interested. Not in 2021. If the argument was technology wasn't ready to get the early seasons in HD, same applies now since those are being upsampled as far as I recall.

So what's the point in this release now? If people want this, more power to them. But it's a missed opportunity for sure.

Ronald Epstein

Founder
Owner
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ronald Epstein
Thank you for supporting HTF when you preorder using the link below. If you are using an adblocker you will not see link. As an Amazon Associate HTF earns from qualifying purchases

mark27b

Second Unit
Real Name
Mark Pledger
The Digital Bits are reporting some buyers are finding the sets have two copies and of Disc 25 and no Disc 26

"Meanwhile, some of you that have purchased Warner Bros. Home Entertainment’s new Blu-ray box set of Smallville: The Complete Series are reporting that the set includes two copies of Disc 25 (Season Seven, Disc 1) and no copy of Disc 26 (Season Seven, Disc 2). We did not receive the title for review from Warner, but rest assured we’ve passed on these reports to the studio. So they’re aware of the issue. If the studio gets back to us with information on how people can get their missing Disc 26, we’ll let you know."

Source

KML10

Auditioning
Real Name
Keith
I have duplicate copies of disc 23 from the sixth season set, and no disc 21! Anyone else have that issue? If you hear of a disc replacement program, please let me know!
Thanks.

Josh Steinberg

Premium
Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Josh Steinberg
I think Digital Bits reported that it was a relocation issue with the set that the studio was made aware of, but I hadn’t heard of a replacement program yet.

KML10

Auditioning
Real Name
Keith
You know what's another crazy thing about the set, is that the episode numbers are not listed on the discs themselves, so you don't know what episode is on what disc. They did the same thing to the Wonder Woman Complete Series Blu Ray set.

David Norman

Premium
Senior HTF Member
For those who might be interested in this series and waiting for a big price drop.

GRUV.com (Universal Studio Store) dropped to $101 today plus add SIGNUP20 for another 20% off. This is the first time I think it's gone below 110 and certainly the first below $100.

$80 seems to be a nice landing spot and should still have Digital Copies included which sometimes get removed after the first year or so (Warner is esp nasty about that).

Last edited:

John*Wells

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
John
I have the original Adventures of Superman and that’s as fat as I went other than the original films. Is this worth the investment?

David Norman

Premium
Senior HTF Member
I guess it depends. If you want old school Superman, then probably not.

If you like things like Roswell, Buffy, Riverdale, Supergirl then it's a pretty nice series. Superheroes growing up through teenage years with all the normal HS/College worries on top of evil supervillains (internal and external). Better than average scripts, though over time a mixed bag of continuity issues and WTF storylines over 10 seasons trying to integrate a lot of the known characters. Like always you can't please everyone and of course the usual "they should have done this instead of that -- what were they thinking" sniping after the first few seasons from the typical fanbots who basically gripe about any popular series.

Josh Steinberg

Premium
Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Josh Steinberg
I enjoyed watching the series when it was on the air, but haven’t felt compelled to rewatch it after it wrapped up. I’m glad I saw it but I don’t feel the need to see it again. Like The X-Files and other 90s/00s series, it has a mix of standalone monster of the week episodes and some serialized mythology episodes sprinkled in.

My instinct would be to say, see if you can stream the first two or three episodes on a service you already have to see if you like it. If you enjoy the first few episodes, you’ll probably enjoy the series. If it doesn’t grip your interest after seeing a few, nothing is going to change later in the show that would make you reconsider.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation715
Recent bookmarks