1. Sign-up to become a member, and most of the ads you see will disappear. It only takes 30 seconds to sign up, so join the discussion today!
    Dismiss Notice
  2. We will be interviewing Criterion soon. Click here for details on how you can submit a question for us to ask.
    Dismiss Notice

Fantastic Journey

Discussion in 'TV on DVD and Blu-ray' started by younger1968, Dec 27, 2011.

1. younger1968

younger1968 Cinematographer

paul young
    I was watching Fantastic Journey over the Christmas break and it was an incredible series. It is sad that it only lasted 10 episodes and never had a proper ending. The show reminded me of Logan's Run the TV Series with each episode different message and moving on until they found their portal home. I realize Logan's run was about sanctuary, but the episodes of the fantastic journey had some similarities in their episodes.
    I really like Roddy McDowell as the professor along with Jared Martin as varian. I hope that one day this show is released on dvd. They sure do not make good science fiction shows like this anymore!!

2. Neil Brock

Neil Brock Producer

Never saw the series but I remember Katie Saylor who was quite the hottie, appearing in several R rated films prior to the show.

3. younger1968

paul young
    yeah, she was a hottie in fantastic journey. It is too bad she passed away in 1991 at 39 years of age. There is also an episode with Cheryl Ladd and Joan Collins.
    I just wished like the planet of apes TV series there was a proper ending. I hate when shows are canceled before they are given a proper ending!

4. Jack P

Jack P Producer

I liked the pilot film, but I hated the retooling done for the regular series that basically jettisoned the strongest characters from the pilot and left us the weakest ones. Jared Martin's Spock clone was really annoying, I felt.

5. younger1968

paul young
    I appreciate your opinion, but i thought the mixed of cast including Roddy McDowell was very good blend. I was disappointed the last two episodes did not include katey. However, the last episode included the very lovely Cheryl Ladd!!
    It would have been nice to see or hear whether the team was able to return to their time zone. There were many series that never received proper ending, like the following:
    1. Logan's Run (we never find out if logan 5 and his crew ever find sactuary
    2. Fantastic Journey
    3. Journey to the Center of the Earth (cartoon)
    4. Planet of Apes (1974 tv series) - Galen does talked about what happen to burke/virden in the movie introduction)
    5. Return to the planet of Apes (Only aired for 13th episodes. The last episode had cornelius and Bill Hudson in a balloon heading for ape city)
    6. V the TV Series (1985) - we are left with leader and elizabeth in the shuttle
    7.Space 1999 - There is extra interview about what happen to moonbase alfa
    8. Time Tunnel - We never know whatever happens to Doug and Tony)
    9. Star Trek (never completed its five-year mission, if you count animated show then it was 4 years)

6. Regulus

Regulus Cinematographer

William Hughes
    All nine of these shows were cancelled due to "Low Ratings".
    Ironically if these same shows garnered the same number of viewers today they'd be considered "Blockbusters".

Ron1973 likes this.
  7. younger1968

paul young
    I totally agree with you.
    I am huge sci-fi fan since i was a kid and love anything to do with sci-fi. I am just disappointed that many sci-fi series that were canceled never were given the opportunity to conclude.
    I watch ep1-ep 10 of Fantastic Journey and was very impresssed with the series as it has been over 30+ years since i last seen it. I hoped the series makes it to dvd as it is one of the last 1970s sci-fi shows not to make it to dvd.

8. Nebiroth

Nebiroth Supporting Actor

Richard Gregory
    It's a shame about Fantastic Jounrey. I remember it as summer holiday viewing here in the UK. It got screened some while back by one of our satellite channels but like a fool I didn;t record it!
    The series was due out on DVD from an independent label here but sadly they went bust before the release happened.
    I don;t know who would have the rights now, here in elsewhere.

9. Jack P

Jack P Producer

You forgot the most obvious one for me: BATTLESTAR GALACTICA! (the real one)

Ron1973 likes this.
  10. younger1968

paul young
    Thanks, Jack!
    I was thinking because of Galactica 1980 show them reaching earth, it was a conclusion for Battlestar Galactica.
    The 1980 show never got a proper ending as the last episide was about starbuck.

11. Jack P

Jack P Producer

The overwhelming majority of Galactica fans don't consider "Galactica 1980" a true continuation let alone conclusion to the series. It has as much legitimacy as "Jaws-The Revenge" has to the original movie.

12. younger1968

paul young
    Hey Jack,
    Thanks for your comment!. I agree with you about the original series for Gallactica never got a proper ending. I was not a big fan of galactica 1980 as it tried to go a different direction. I am still waiting for Galactica to come down in price, especially in Canada. There was a sale in the USA near Christmas, but i was tapped out and will have to wait when i can afford it.

13. AndyMcKinney

AndyMcKinney Cinematographer

There was a script written by the show's producer (called "The Attack") that picks up where the last televised episode ends and was intended to be the season 2 opener, so while no "televised" resolution to the cliff-hanger appeared, it was written and is out there (I purchased a copy well over a decade ago (and you can read a transcription--for free--here
    Are you talking about the "scene" with Sandra Benes called "Message from Moonbase Alpha"? If so, that's not an "interview", but is an in-character scene written by one of the show's more prominent writers, Johnny Byrne. It didn't go out as part of the TV series and was recorded many years later, but I can easily imagine it as a part of 1999 continuity.
    though there was never an episode showing the Enterprise pulling into drydock, surely Star Trek: The Motion Picture can easily be seen as the continuation of the show, picking up 18 months (or so) after the end of the five year mission, so not nearly so disappointing as some of the other examples you cite.

14. younger1968

paul young
    Hi Andy,
    Thanks!
    I read the script for V-The Series and it sounds like they were going a different direction with season #2, like searching for the anyx. The script also brings closure to what happen to Elizabeth and the leader.
    I appreciate you input about closure of different series and it was very good. The Planet Apes (1974 Series) also had several scripts/episodes that were never produced and it was not until Galen came on to introduced the movie that we learned of Virden/burke's fate.
    I really like fantastic journey and if there were some unproduced scripts then i would love to read them. I am very interested in any series that never ended to find out what the intention of those series was with the network, i.e. unproduced episodes/scripts.

15. AndyMcKinney

There was at least one unfilmed FJ script, called "Romulus" and you can read it (and see more on the series) here.
    There is also some information on the unproduced Logan's Run scripts at the sister-site to the above FJ link, the excellent (though it hasn't been updated in several years) Vikki's City of Domes

16. younger1968

paul young
    Hey Andy,
    Thanks!
    i am always very appreciated of people given me information about my favorite episodes, especially long lost scripts.
    I am looking forward to Logan's run tv series and i hope one day fantastic journey is released on dvd.

17. Ian K McLachlan

Ian K McLachlan Second Unit

Ian Kenneth McLachlan
    I find it strange that out of all the 1970s American SF series this is one of the few not to see release on DVD. I really enjoyed watching all the episodes on the Logan's Run DVD and I would have thought that this series would have made a good companion DVD to it.

18. younger1968

paul young
    It is strange for me as well. I like to have the series on dvd! I am not overly impressed with today's SF shows.

19. johnnybear

johnnybear Stunt Coordinator

John
    I've just been watching a few of the old shows on YT having not seen them since 78! Great show and music. Can't understand why it's not been released on DVD as it's a gem of a show
    JB

Mark Tay likes this.
  20. AndyMcKinney

Resurrecting this old thread because after many years, this show is finally due out on DVD, from Madman in Australia:

Link

Please note it'll be Region 4/PAL. Some may wonder why it's not blu-ray. I suspect maybe these are the same masters that were to have been used for the planned R2/PAL release from DD Video several years ago, but got shelved because that company went belly-up.

Jeff Flugel, Flashgear and Blimpoy06 like this.