What's new

JoshZ

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Joshua Zyber
A movie wins Best Picture and immediately people come out of the woodworks to dump on it and proclaim it overrated?

Talk about derivative! Pretty sure I've seen that plot about 94 times before! :laugh:

Edwin-S

Premium
Senior HTF Member
This film is essentially a version of Douglas Adams’ “Hitchhiker’s Guide to the Galaxy” series of novels. Everything about multiverse theory, down to the probability devices used to travel, are straight out of Adams’ writing.
Not even close to Adam's style and wit.

Ronald Epstein

Founder
Owner
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ronald Epstein
A movie wins Best Picture and immediately people come out of the woodworks to dump on it and proclaim it overrated?

Talk about derivative! Pretty sure I've seen that plot about 94 times before! :laugh:

Of course, and why not?

We are all highly opinionated film aficionados. This is our passion.

This is the one place to expect people to dump on films they think didn't deserve the Best Picture award.

However, these are merely opinions. We promote lively debate here and one person's opinion isn't the definitive one.

Jake Lipson

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jake Lipson
I don't think any Best Picture choice will satisfy everyone. That didn't start with this movie and it won't end with this movie either. I happened to love Everything Everywhere All At Once and I am happy that it won. But there have certainly been other years where I just don't jive with a certain choice. So I've been on both sides of it, as we probably all have at one point or another.

The Academy had their say on Sunday night. History and time will have their say in the coming years and decades as to how the film is regarded long-term as part of the canon.

For example, we all know that Crash won Best Picture in 2005-6 over Brokeback Mountain. But now Brokeback Mountain is in the National Film Registry for being "culturally, historically or aesthetically significant." Crash is not.

As with every film, we'll see what happens to the reputation of Everything Everywhere All At Once in the future as it ages and becomes a past winner rather than the current one.

Last edited:

Robert Crawford

Crawdaddy
Patron
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert
The Academy had their say on Sunday night. History and time will have their say in the coming years and decades as to how the film is regarded long-term as part of the canon.

For example, we all know that Crash won Best Picture in 2005-6 over Brokeback Mountain. But now Brokeback Mountain is in the National Film Registry for being "culturally, historically or aesthetically significant." Crash is not.

As with every film, we'll see what happens to the reputation of Everything Everywhere All At Once in the future as it ages and becomes a past winner rather than the current one.
There are probably several other similar examples, one of them being Shakespeare in Love over Saving Private Ryan. The latter is in the National Film Registry and the former is not. That was the year when the Academy Awards lost me.

Ronald Epstein

Founder
Owner
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ronald Epstein
There are probably several other similar examples, one of them being Shakespeare in Love over Saving Private Ryan. The latter is in the National Film Registry and the former is not. That was the year when the Academy Awards lost me.

I was a bit before you. My head-scratcher was KRAMER VS. KRAMER over Apocalypse Now and All That Jazz.

Jeffrey D

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jeffrey D Hanawalt
I had prior years too including the one you referenced. The final straw for me was the 1999 Oscars.
1999- the year American Beauty won?

My pet peeve is in 1994- Forrest Gump beating Pulp Fiction AND The Shawshank Redemption. Seems to me both losers are now regarded as better and more memorable films than the winner.

Robert Crawford

Crawdaddy
Patron
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert
1999- the year American Beauty won?

My pet peeve is in 1994- Forrest Gump beating Pulp Fiction AND The Shawshank Redemption. Seems to me both losers are now regarded as better and more memorable films than the winner.
No, in March, 1999 the BP Oscar winner was Shakespeare in Love.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nielmb
Recent bookmarks