What's new

Er 2/12/04 (1 Viewer)

Patrick Sun

Senior HTF Member
"Impulse Control"

Many criss-crossing cases in tonight's episode.

J.K. Simmons and Marin Hinkle turn in fine guest-starring performances. Simmons played a man who just bought a Hummer (impulse buy), and has a heart attack and blacks up and drives over another vehicle with a family inside. Hinkle played the mother who has to watch her son suffer a broken neck and die, and her husband also dies from internal injuries. Simmons finds out that the collision with the other car is what jarred his heart back to life, ironically enough. This tears him up inside (why he lives while others died). Morris is the biggest idiot doctor wannabe ever on ER. His lack of sensitivity to the mother's need to know what happened to her family makes her super-agitated and she became very adamant about finding out what happened to her family. Too bad Sam didn't just let Morris choke to death on fries.

Because of a lawsuit from the Romano era (hostile work environment), Larry from "Three's Company" shows up (with a easily to discern set of hair plugs) to observe the ER and how it works and to interview the personnel. He gets to see quite a bit of "violence" commited by the staff on visitors and patients, but he doesn't understand the context of such actions.

Susan is moving steadily through her pregnancy. Frank asks her if she's going to get married, or if she's going to give birth to a bastard. hehe.

Sam puts the whammy on a gang-banger scumbag college boy who knocks up his "girlfriend" who is still in high school. Of course, the scumbag will probably sue the hospital. Sam gets reprimanded for her actions, and Sam offers to leave because she can find work elsewhere, but Weaver knows that Sam has a history of this at other hospitals she's worked at in the past.

Sam and Abby share their own experiences with facing abortion, Sam froze the first time, and it was too late the second visit, so she had Alex. Abby alludes to recalling what was on the wall of the clinic's walls for her visit.

Carter spends his day showing off Chicago to Kimba, tries his best to convince her to stay and live in Chicago with her, but in the end, she goes, but will come back. As Carter walks out of the airport terminal, he decides he has to make one more plea, and whips out the old credit card and buys a first class ticket to Tokyo for $9000 just to get in the boarding terminal area.

Abby makes a catch of T.B. on a worker that comes in for a bruised knee. The worker is an illegal alien and that was used to make him go into T.B. recovery program. Of course, Pratt gets the credit for the T.B. catch via completing a patient's history per Weaver's mandate. Abby's resigned to that outcome of her own investigative work into the worker's medical history.

Carter finally makes it to work, Weaver sees him in the locker/lounge as she goes off-shift, they talk about Kimba's dedication to her patients in Africa, and then Weaver shows Carter new baby pictures of her and Sandy's child.

The girl with the scumbag boyfriend shows up at the end of Sam's shift to talk to her, perhaps about her options, but we don't know how that conversation goes.

Sam and Kovach get busy after a stressful day in the ER.

WillG

Senior HTF Member
I was a little bit perturbed how Sam seemed to be thinly veiling a recommendation for abortion to that gang bang girl. Now I understand the situation under which she got pregnant was less than ideal, but I don't think Sam, as a professional, despite her history had any business bringing that up.

Michael Martin

Screenwriter
Anyone know the title of the song playing as Sam and Luka got busy? It sounded like Dido, but would like to know the name of the song.

Michael Henry

Second Unit
Real Name
J. Michael Henry
Anyone else see a HARD fall for Carter? I see this coming a mile away...The flashes of "life is wonderful" for them....I can just see her not coming back or something bad happening...

-Mike

Chris Sigua

Stunt Coordinator
The song by Dido is called "White Flag".

Also, during the episode, I could see all the Hummer forums saying how Hummers were portrayed badly :laugh:

BrandonM

Stunt Coordinator
Actually, Patrick was right. "White Flag" is her new song, but "Here With Me" was used last night. It was the same song that was used as Roswell's opening theme.

Keith Mickunas

Senior HTF Member
Why didn't Sam get pro-active on that guy and call the police on him? He assaulted her after all by grabbing her and not letting her go. She also was told that he and his friends gang-banged a minor. It's statuatory rape at the least.

I second, third, or fourth the "Here With Me" vote. It's track 1 on "No Angel". I recognized it immediately and I haven't heard her new album.

Ken Chan

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ken
If he's paying full price at the last minute, I'm guessing that ticket is refundable. (Don't do what Kramer did on that episode of Seinfeld with Jerry in first class and Elaine in coach.)

Patrick Sun

Senior HTF Member
Yes, I watch ER in HD (when the local NBC affiliate deems it worthy to flip on the HD switch for the OTA HDTV broadcast).

WillG

Senior HTF Member

Carter has got some money although he is too embarrassed by his family's wealth :rolleyes

Adam Lenhardt

Senior HTF Member
I dunno. Not professional, certainly. But I don't think it was out of character considering what she's living through.
The conversation between Abby and her at the mini-mart further supported it from her character's point of view.

Some great Weaver moments tonight: "So sue me! What else is new..."

I was another big fan of J.K. Simmons' guest starring turn. He's like a chamelon. Never would have pictured him as the same guy who played J. Jonah Jameson in Spider-Man or the psychic mechanic from Everwood.

Patrick Sun

Senior HTF Member
This is an interesting episode because people seem to have different reactions and interpretations to what was shown to them. If you have some predisposition one way or another on hummers or teenage pregnancy options, it definitely colors one's perceptions of the events and the reaction to the scenes.

Randy Tennison

Screenwriter
Real Name
Randy

As soon as she got on the plane, I looked at my wife and said "Oh, she's dead!".

They can't let Carter be happy. That would be uninteresting.

He'll probably become a single father.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nielmb
Recent bookmarks