What's new

Eminem oscar calliber actor? (1 Viewer)

Stevan Lay

Second Unit
There's always the category for "Achievement in music in connection with motion pictures (Original Song)"

Morgan Jolley

Senior HTF Member
You don't just have to be a musician (or singer, since Eminem sings but doesn't make music) to not get nominated, you just have to not be THAT famous (Hillary Swank being the exception to the rule).

Naomi Watts should have at least been nominated for Mulholland Dr. at the last oscars, but got screwed over on that. It happens all the time.

Morgan Jolley

Senior HTF Member
The sad thing about the MTV award shows is that during the Video Music Awards last year, Fatboy Slim got the most awards, but only one or two were given to him during the show. The others were announced before the show. So he really didn't get the pride and recognition he deserved.

Screw the MTV Awards. That award means less than a Golden Globe.

Travis D

Second Unit
Eminem reminds me of my redneck classmates. They are so dumb and so dimwitted that when they do something even the smallest bit remarkable, everyone touts it as the Second Coming of Jesus Christ. The same thing goes for Eminem, while there are a few hints of biting commentary in his rap most of the lyrics LIKE ALL RAP ON MTV is complete nonsense shit that just rhymes.

Now that Eminem is doing a movie he can suck as bad as we know he will, but if he comes out of the shitcan for one second and actually acts, people will call it something that it is not. But, I have a prejudice against him, not for anything he has said in his music, but just because he acts like he is an artist, but all he is, like most is the music world, is a low form of entertainment to the people.

Paul Jenkins

Supporting Actor
but just because he acts like he is an artist, but all he is, like most is the music world, is a low form of entertainment to the people
i disagree, he is every bit an 'artist' as any other rap musician, and if you listen to the various rap musicians themselves, they hold him in high regard on his artistic ability...

Morgan Jolley

Senior HTF Member
Its not? Then why do they pretend it is?

Anyway, I think that Eminem is an artist. That doesn't mean he's good at it. Everyone is an artist. The guy down the street can be an artist at installing air ducts, he's still an artist, whether or not he's good at it.

The thing with Eminem is that his music sounds good, in terms of the rhythm and how he speaks (rap doesn't involve singing, mind you) the words. When you try to read into the lyrics, you find a lot of crap that means nothing. Every song degenerates into how much the people around him suck (but more recently they're about his daughter). He's a performer, not a musician. He writes words that sound good and then puts them to a beat.

Nick Sievers

Senior HTF Member
The first review of 8 Mile is up at AICN. Its a positive review, the guy was praising Eminem's acting and the direction from Curtis Hanson. The first paragraph of the review had my eyes rolling but he does cover most of the things I expected from a review. I had high hopes for this film when it was first announced, and i'm glad to see some positive buzz around this film.

Damian James

Stunt Coordinator
The MTV awards are like the old high school popularity contest. It doesn't matter about substance. Anyone remember that movie "The Crush" that Alicia Silverstone won an award for?

As for Eminem, I can't respect someone who spews such offense, then expects people to not take it seriously, or that kids won't be influenced by it. I won't see this movie for that reason.

Nathan V

Supporting Actor
The very idea that a first time actor who is also a rapper who also offends millions of people will get nominated for an academy award is ludicrous. And besides, when did a producer ever say anything but positive remarks about his/her film?

I am not saying Eminem won't do a good job. Curtis Hanson is a talented director, and, as mentioned earlier, the part suits him well. But I will be very, very surprised if he gets nominated.

Seth Paxton

Senior HTF Member
I saw the trailer for 8 Mile the other day. He seems believable enough in it, but we all recognize that the material is hardly a departure.
I wouldn't be surprised if his effort was as good as Tupac's early film roles. But that ain't gonna get an Oscar nom even if he wasn't so offensive to so many people in the industry.
Russell Crowe may have been a tad surly, but he never went around saying "Faggots should die" or talking in detail about murdering his wife.
Yes, the gays and females of Hollywood must be very excited about the opportunity to nominate him for anything. ;) Luckily for him there just aren't that many homosexuals in Hollywood. :)
Maybe someday after a LOT of damage repair and spin control on his career.

Holadem

Senior HTF Member
Like him or not, he is one of the few rappers out there that still speak from the heart, no matter how dark that heart happens to be.
Of course, I am neither a female nor gay ;)
--
Holadem

Mitty

Supporting Actor
While Brian Grazer's self-serving praise is hardly worth a second's thought, this project just got a whole hell of a lot more interesting now with the the realization that Curtis Hanson is directing.

Dana Fillhart

Supporting Actor
I saw the trailer for his movie a little while back, and while I was surprised at the talent he showed, I was not convinced it was Oscar potential (though to be fair I'll need to see all of it in context to make a valid judgement). I didn't think Paul Newman is worthy of a nomination, either, for his awesome role in Road to Perdition (though it's close), and Mr. Mathers doesn't come close to Newman's quality in the clips I've seen. Still, as I said I'll withhold judgement until I've seen the flick (which, unless I hear stellar things about ALL the acting in it, is unlikely; these type of films usually turn me off). I can hear the song now on Eminem's next album after he loses an Oscar nom in 2003: F*** the Academy. Heck, I wouldn't be surprised if it came out BEFORE the nominees are announced! :)
P.S. RAIN, you facial expression in your sig has always reminded me of Eminem!

Charles J P

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
CJ Paul
Regardless of the quality of his performance, there is no way on this earth that Eminen will even be nominated for an Oscar.
3 years earlier... Regardless of the quality of his performance, there is no way on this earth that Eminen will even be nominated for an Grammy. I like Eminem's freshness. If you ever listen to his lyrics, he doesnt try to create his own bad-boy persona, others do that for him. On his new album he states he's not the first king of controversy, so why does everyone make such a big deal about him? One of my favorite lyrics of his is something like: Will Smith dont have to cuss in raps to sell records, well I do so fuck him and fuck you too. I mean thats pretty honest. He's admitting that 90% of his fans buy his stuff because of the Parental Advisory sticker, not in spite of it. Any way, I'm not saying you have to like him, but if he gets a nom, well, lets just say the acadamy has done stranger things.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nielmb
Recent bookmarks