What's new

Eminem oscar calliber actor? (2 Viewers)

paul_v

Second Unit
Looks like bad-boy rapper Eminem may have some acting skills
http://www.drudgereport.com/em.htm
XXXXX DRUDGE REPORT XXXXX THURSDAY JUNE 27, 2002 10:20:29 ET XXXXX
GRAZER: EMINEM LOOKS LIKE 'BEST ACTOR'
**Exclusive**
Fresh off his Academy Award for Best Picture this year, superproducer Brian Grazer is now quietly telling associates he's found a new candidate for Oscar: shock-rapper and controversialist, EMINEM!
"He's turned in a performance that reminds me of Stallone in ROCKY," Grazer told a studio executive touting the lead of his production 8 MILE.
"I think the audience is going to be blown away, so will the Academy. I think we've got a good shot at getting nominated," declared Grazer, producer of A BEAUTIFUL MIND, who has publicly called Eminem a "sweet guy".
UNIVERSAL has set a November release for the EMINEM/GRAZER project -- on the doorstep of the heavy award-nominating season.
For Your Consideration: A young rapper in Detroit struggles with his anger through music. Can a white kid with a hardcore blue vocabulary and lots of hate in his heart transcend his meager beginnings and attain global success?
Meanwhile, sales of Eminem's THE EMINEM SHOW continue to be more than 50% higher than all the competition. The release, which has sold more than 3.3 million copies to date, holds on to No. 1 at BILLBOARDSOUNDSCAN for a fifth consecutive week.
Developing...
-----------------------------------------------------------
Filed By Matt Drudge
Reports are moved when circumstances warrant
http://www.drudgereport.com for updates
(c)DRUDGE REPORT 2002
Not for reproduction without permission of the author

Paul_D

Senior HTF Member
Regardless of the quality of his performance, there is no way on this earth that Eminen will even be nominated for an Oscar. He's simply offended too many people already.
I'm looking forward to the film though. :)

Blu

Screenwriter
Never say never. If the Hollywood hype machine gets behind it I'd say it is a sure thing *Cough* rigged balloting *Cough*!

Holadem

Senior HTF Member
In the trailer he looked much more believable than all the other fucknuts of his profession put together.

Looking forward to this one.

--
Holadem

Mark Pfeiffer

Screenwriter
I'd put more stock in it if a third party without a specific interest in it made these comments. As it stands, it sounds like a producer hyping his film. That said, there's more gloss on this film than might otherwise been when you consider that Curtis Hanson is directing.

Still, no matter how good the performance, Eminem's image is going to be a big obstacle to overcome for him to get a nomination.

Edwin Pereyra

Senior HTF Member
"I think the audience is going to be blown away, so will the Academy. I think we've got a good shot at getting nominated," declared Grazer, producer of A BEAUTIFUL MIND...
This from the same producer who, along with its other filmmakers, touted their last film as the true story of John Nash?
I'll wait until I see the film and Eminem's performance and judge is for myself.
~Edwin

Mike Broadman

Senior HTF Member
For Your Consideration: A young rapper in Detroit struggles with his anger through music. Can a white kid with a hardcore blue vocabulary and lots of hate in his heart transcend his meager beginnings and attain global success?
Wait... is this the plot of the movie? It's just an autobiography then, isn't it? Seems a little silly to me.

Andrew_Sch

Senior HTF Member
If Russel Crowe can continue to get nominations three years running with all the various offensive things he's said and done, I don't think Eminem will have a problem. Of course, Russel Crowe just so happens to be, IMHO, one of the best actors working today and Eminem's never acted before in his life.

Will K

Screenwriter
Grazer is full of it. We're talking about the same guy who thought he was doing the world a favor with the Psycho remake. Oscar? Please. This reminds me of Glenn Close's cameo in In & Out: "...and Steven Seagal for Snowball In Hell."

Mark Bendiksen

Screenwriter
I hate to prejudge, BUT
I just don't think so, Grazer. I'll glady eat these words if I'm wrong, though. I keep thinking of the last white rapper who was given a starring role in a Hollywood film. You can find info on it here: Link Removed
If Russell Crowe can continue to get nominations three years running with all the various offensive things he's said and done, I don't think Eminem will have a problem.
It's not quite the same thing. Russell Crowe is a pretty surly fellow, to be sure, but Eminem belongs in a category all by himself. Moreover, the Academy has not been historically kind to musicians who "cross over" into acting. They disregarded Courtney Love (People vs. Larry Flint), Bjork (Dancer in the Dark) and Madonna (Evita) among numerous others in recent years. (I'm not necessarily saying I believe that those performances were all Oscar worthy, but they did get nominated in other major film award ceremonies.)
Link Removed

Shane Gralaw

Second Unit
I wouldn't be surprised if he was good. I despise rap, but have to admit a lot of rap performers seem to be natural actors (Queen Latifah and Tupac spring to mind). And oddly, country performers too (like Dwight Yoakum and Reba McIntire), another music genre I can't listen to five mintues of.

Mike Broadman

Senior HTF Member
Holadem, it seems silly because it's a guy acting as himself in a movie about his life. It sounds like Glitter.

Btw, Will Smith is an example of a rapper-turned actor who the Academy accepted. Of course, he is so distgustingly inoffensive, the anti-Eminem.

I think I would see an Enimenem movie for kicks, though.

Rain

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Rain
Regardless of the quality of his performance, there is no way on this earth that Eminen will even be nominated for an Oscar.
I was thinking the same thing, but not because he's offended people.

Basically, if you are a rock (or any hybrid thereof) musician acting, you don't get serious consideration by the Academy. Bjork was snubbed for Dancer in the Dark, Courtney Love was snubbed for The People vs. Larry Flynt. Both should have been nominated easily.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nielmb
Recent bookmarks