What's new

Eminem oscar calliber actor? (1 Viewer)

Frank Anderson

Senior HTF Member
He's admitting that 90% of his fans buy his stuff because of the Parental Advisory sticker, not in spite of it.
His fans buy his stuff because he shocks them not because of any great musical talent?

If the guy ends up being a great actor he should get rewards for it. But because of who he is and his style of entertaining he may get ignored.

Charles J P

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
CJ Paul
His fans buy his stuff because he shocks them not because of any great musical talent?
His fans buy his stuff because they think they gethim. Whether or not there is really anything to get is up to the individual. One of my high school buddies used to go on and on about the hidden political messages and what not from Rage Against the Machine. Really, they just sound pissed off. Take it for what its worth, but for educational purposes, I suggest that people listen to his lyrics. I'm a 23 year old businessman from the heartland, I got hooked on the beat and hardcore style of his first few singles, but like any music/movie lover does, I dug deeper and listened to the lyrics. I was surprised, you might be too. Also, I dont really know that much about him, so I dont know if he writes his own lyrics or not.

Josh Lowe

Screenwriter
IMHO, one of the best actors working today and Eminem's never acted before in his life.
On the contrary, Eminem is acting pretty much every moment of every day, that is unless you actually believe his schtick.

BTW - He's brilliant at it. Everyone talks about him and has an opinion about him. What other proof do you need?

Joe_C

Supporting Actor
On the contrary, Eminem is acting pretty much every moment of every day, that is unless you actually believe his schtick.

BTW - He's brilliant at it. Everyone talks about him and has an opinion about him. What other proof do you need?
Exactly. I personally think Eminem is FAR more intelligent than many give him credit for. He knows precisely what he's doing.

Aaron Croft

Stunt Coordinator
"Will Smith dont have to cuss in raps to sell records, well I do so fuck him and fuck you too."

Will Smith BTW happens to be a rapper who recieved an Acedemy Award nomination recently I believe.

Eminem is talented, he has the "flow" that every rapper wished they had and it comes to him quickly and naturally. Have you ever listened to him freestlye battle? It's an incredible linguistic feat IMHO. His content, on the other hand, is ridiculous, and completely OBNOXIOUS. Talented yes, brilliant? maybe, a good actor? All we can do is wait and see. Some rappers of the past have turned that same rawness that makes them great rap performance into some decent acting IMHO, and I wouldn't doubt Eminem has the talent to act. He has been described by people who have worked with him as someone who has incredible concentration, and according to his producer and boss Dr. Dre (an amazing musician), he has learned production incredibly fast (and some of his best songs are self produced, meaning he did the "beat).

Interesting, to say the least. But who knows? I will wait and see before I pass judgment on anyones acting abilities.

Aaron

Joel Mack

Senior HTF Member
Thought I'd revive this thread, after catching the new "8 Mile" trailer in front of "Blue Crush" this weekend.

Me, personally, I get a very good feeling about this film. The last movie that I got this kind of vibe about after seeing the trailer was "Moulin Rouge"...

Will Eminem get an Oscar nom? Don't know. Don't care. Movie looks excellent, though... Count me in on November 8th...

Rich Malloy

Senior HTF Member
Who cares about the Oscars? I mean, really, who gives half a corn-studded turd about a bunch of minor-talent celebs jerking each other off? I'd rather put any one or all of Eminem's CDs on continuous replay for 6 hours than to sit through another one of those pathetic wankfests.

As for Eminem, I generally listen to folks like Bob Dylan, Clifford Brown, Buck Clayton, Dock Boggs, Grateful Dead, Sun Ra, blah blah. The only rappers I ever really got into were (showing my age) the decidedly old-school Public Enemy. But Eminem's positively brilliant. Often obscene, wrongheaded, belligerent, youthfully misguided, scary, ridiculous, sad... but undeniably brilliant. I'd rather listen to him all-day than to have to suffer through another two hours of pallid, empty crap like "Road to Perdition", or "A Beautiful Mind", or "American Beauty", or "Driving Miss Daisy", or most any other Oscar-feted drivel.

Edwin Pereyra

Senior HTF Member
Who cares about the Oscars? I mean, really, who gives half a corn-studded turd about a bunch of minor-talent celebs jerking each other off? I'd rather put any one or all of Eminem's CDs on continuous replay for 6 hours than to sit through another one of those pathetic wankfests.
...I'd rather listen to him all-day than to have to suffer through another two hours of pallid, empty crap like "Road to Perdition", or "A Beautiful Mind", or "American Beauty", or "Driving Miss Daisy", or most any other Oscar-feted drivel.
Sometimes it's hard to say whether you are serious or not with what you are saying as you seem to contradict yourself in more ways than one in the past. One thing is for sure though, you never cease to entertain me. :laugh: ;)
~Edwin

Tino

Taken As Ballast
Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Valentino
Good one R-en-M;), but seriously, what's with the contradictions? First you don't like Perdition, then you say it's one of the best films you have seen so far this year, now its "pallid crap".
Which is it? Are you feeling OK?:D

Rich Malloy

Senior HTF Member
Wha..? I definitely don't like Perdition, it most certainly is pallid crap, and yet I do recall saying that excepting the excellent "Y Tu Mama Tambien" it was (sadly) the best movie I'd seen this year. That was before "Signs", and hopefully many more better movies to come.

But that's not contradictory; simply a reflection of the very poor selection of new movies I'd seen this year. :p)

Rich Malloy

Senior HTF Member
I've created a monster, cuz nobody wants to read Rich no more / they want Al, I'm chopped liver / well if you want Al, this is what I'll give ya / a little bit of me mixed with some hard critique...

But Tino 'n E. wont let me be / wont let me be free to diss Sam Mendes / they tried to shut me down for slappin' Di$ney aroun' / for that piss-poor Belle de jour DVD...

('n for smackin' Miramax with an anthrax tampax... nyah-nyah-nyah-nyah-nyah-nyah-nah)

But I settled with Ron and now I'm back on / so get ready for the something-something rhymes with ready... :p)

Tino

Taken As Ballast
Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Valentino
How about...
"/So get ready cuz it don't matter what I said-dy/my 'pinions mine and if y'all don't like it, fine.";)
You truly are a man of many talents Rich!:laugh:

Wes C

Supporting Actor
I just saw the trailer for this movie. The reason emenim is so good is that he is playing himself. The movie looked okay and eminem definitely seemed good from what you can see in the trailer.

Edwin Pereyra

Senior HTF Member
The rough cut of the film was just screened at the Toronto Film Festival and got some positive notices. Hmmm, could it be...?

~Edwin

Edwin Pereyra

Senior HTF Member
Here's one from Ebert:

Whether Eminem can play anyone else is still to be discovered. That he can play himself was convincingly demonstrated Sunday night at a sneak screening of "8 Mile," the quasi-autobiographical film based on his early days as a white hip-hop artist in Detroit, circa 1995.

The movie, directed by Curtis Hanson ("Wonder Boys," "L.A. Confidential") sidesteps the ancient puzzle of how to showcase a rock star in his first film role, by taking a semi-documentary approach. That also worked years ago for the Beatles in "A Hard Day's Night."

"When I joined the Directors Guild," Hanson told me after the screening, "my signatory was Don Siegel. He directed Elvis in 'Flaming Star' [1960]. I took that as an omen."

"8 Mile," with a title that refers to the dividing line between mostly black Detroit and its mostly white suburbs, shows Eminem as an poor, earnest, worried, inward kid whose best friends are members of the local black rap scene. As the film opens, his character has been dropped by his pregnant girlfriend and moves back into the trailer home of his mother (played by Kim Basinger, in a very good performance), who is, as he notes in a lyric, sleeping with a guy he went to school with.

The movie is unflinching in its view of a violent homelife, which is hard on the hero's little sister. He rides with his black friends, engages in the risky practice of tagging police cars with paint fired from a gun, works long shifts as a punch-press operator, gets in fights with rival singers and engages in the weekly competitions between hip-hop artists at a local club.

Eminem emerges from the film as a grungy, sympathetic proletarian, although in his next film he could stand to lighten up a little. The rough cut shown at Toronto was an audience pleaser, and the prospects for his continuing film success seem much more likely than, for example, Britney Spears' after her ill-advised debut, "Crossroads."

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
blitz
Recent bookmarks