What's new
World Wide Stereo

ELAC Debut 2.0 B5.2 vs B&W 686 S2 Bookshelf Speakers (1 Viewer)

crainone

Auditioning
Real Name
Chris
Hey everyone,

Basic questions from someone who doesn't know much about audio. I'm looking to purchase some bookshelf speakers, and the reason for the specific ELAC and B&W speakers chosen is because I have a depth limitation that prohibits me spending more money. If I had another 3-4 inches, I would have a much wider selection, but I need to keep the depth around 9 inches (less is better), and a sealed/front ported design, as these are going right up against the wall in my bookshelves.

These are going to serve mostly music playing, but occasional movie watching as well once I get a center channel. This is going in my living room...don't consider this a movie room or anything like that, but I'd like to have a 3.1 type setup (wired for 5.1, but who knows when I will get the surrounds). As I said, mostly for music.

The setup I wanted are the new Definitive Technology D9's with a Mythos center...but the damn depth kills the D9's. Still looking at doing a Mythos (I like the flatter, wider design, open to suggestions). The TV is mounted above my fireplace.

What are you looking for (Speakers, Subwoofer or Both)? Bookshelf Speakers (center channel suggestion)

Primary Use: 70% Music, 30% TV & Movies

Desired Configuration: 3.1

Is the room open to other areas of your home: Yes

Do you already have an AV receiver or amplifier? Yes, Denon X4300H

What's your budget (low to high): $1000-1500

Any special requirements (Wife Acceptance)? Depth of bookshelves around 9", sealed/front ported.

Thanks for any assistance.

JohnRice

Bounded In a Nutshell
Premium
Ambassador
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
John
If your budget is $1-1.5K there should be a lot more speakers to choose from. Also, is there a reason to choose the B5.2 instead of the B6.2? I'll look around when I get some time to see what your options are. Front ported or sealed is a good way to go with the limitations you're facing. Regarding a center, you should just go with the matching center for which ever speaker you choose. It's best not to mix them up if you don't have to.

crainone

Auditioning
Real Name
Chris
Thanks, John. The 6.2 has a 10.55" depth. I can probably gain another inch or two if I wanted to try to build an extension, but I would need to weigh the advantages for the extra work, as well as the extra money compared to the ones I'm already looking at. If I ended up rigging for the extra depth, the D9/Mythos pair would be great, but I also don't know what other comparable center channel there is that matches the form factor of the Mythos.

JohnRice

Bounded In a Nutshell
Premium
Ambassador
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
John
You have 9" depth to work with? There's no problem with the speaker protruding 1.5" beyond the front of the shelf. Unless you have a problem with how that would look. There's no functional problem with it, though.

crainone

Auditioning
Real Name
Chris
I guess that is a "wife acceptance" problem, but at the same time, I'd also like it to not be passed the end of the shelf. If you have a different proposal for bookshelf speakers that are under 11" (if I rig an extension), with a center channel...I'm all ears. In total, I don't mind spending $2k for all three, but would prefer it to be around the $1k mark.

If you do propose something, I'd like to understand how much better it is over just doing the ELAC's/B&W chosen (but obviously having a different manufacturer center...not desired but can't work with much)?

David Willow

Babbling Idiot
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Dave
Will the speakers be against the wall? You should consider the type of speaker since many will not work as well against a wall (especially ones with rear ports). Would it make more sense to get on wall speakers?

Also, not sure how long your tv has been above the fireplace but if it is new you may want to try it for a few days before you commit to speakers. Ideally the TV should be at eye level - putting up high looks cool in magazines but doesn't work very well in the real world.

crainone

Auditioning
Real Name
Chris
Yes, David, it will be up against the back of the bookshelf speakers. This is our main living that my wife wants nothing that stands out, so bookshelf speakers are the cleanest way to go. That's why I was thinking sealed or front ported bookshelf speakers. My TV is mounted above the fireplace, been there for about a year and it's staying. I actually don't mind looking up, you get used to it.

Most of my use is going to be music when we are hanging out downstairs. One day I'll have a dedicated movie room which will have all the right height and such. Just really sucks I don't have another 2-3 inches to play with regarding the depth.

See attached picture for details. The speakers would be on the top shelf as that is where they did the prewiring. Was watching Family Feud.

Attachments

• living room.JPG
    living room.JPG
    1.6 MB · Views: 214

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jrharris
Recent bookmarks