Adding Bookshelf Speakers - B&W or Elac

Sedona Rider

Auditioning
Real Name
Dan
I need to upgrade my bookshelf speakers to finish my audio upgrade I started a while ago. For my 7.1 system I started with upgrading the center channel speaker to B&W 700 series. The ceiling now has 4 B&W CI300 speakers. I initially planned to upgrade the bookshelf speakers to B&W as well, but I have been impressed by the reviews on the Elac bookshelf speakers. I would probably go with the Unifi 2.0 speakers just released. The speakers would go in cabinets, so the front subwoofer is attractive. The price difference between the two manufactures is substantial, so I would like to feel the additional cost of the B&Ws would be a good investment. We watch about 99% TV and movies. How important is it to stay with the same manufacture for the center and bookshelf speakers?

Wayne_j

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Wayne
If you are talking about bookshelf speakers that are the front left and right speakers they should be the same manufacturer and line as the center channel speaker. If they are for surrounds that doesn't matter as much. Maybe for the fronts you can get the B&W 706 S2 and get the Elac Unifi 2.0's for surrounds.

Reactions: Sam Posten

JohnRice

Bounded In a Nutshell
Supporter
Ambassador
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
John
Yeah, it's really best to use the same line across the front. So, I'd either get B&W 700 for the L/R or get UniFi across the front and sell the B&W you have now. The three UniFi cost a LOT less than two B&W, so it would make sense to go with them, unless you're completely in love with B&W.

Keep in mind, with the ELAC you'll be gaining three way speakers, and the difference between their sound quality is a lot less than the price. B&W puts significant expense into appearance, while the UniFi puts very little into it, so they can provide sound far beyond their price.

Reactions: Sam Posten

Forum Sponsors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Niloc