What's new

DVD Sets You Would Like to See Redone? (1 Viewer)

LeoA

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Leo
I've only seen that opening on MeTV. Was quite a surprise to find an opening to a favorite show that I wasn't aware even existed.

With beautiful HD masters on hand and a company with a history of being amicable to licensing out their properties, it would be a real shame not to see these arrive one of these days on Blu-Ray. I keep hoping to see Mill Creek or Shout Factory take a crack at Adam-12 and Emergency! (Hopefully the former since Shout Factory can be so expensive).

Ideally it would be as a complete series boxset like The Rockford Files had.

bmasters9

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ben Masters
The season 1-5 openings have the theme song music and the season 6 openings basically ditch the theme and is replaced with radio talk between the dispatcher and medical personnel.

Saw that just earlier on YouTube (from the sixth-season premiere), and noticed the difference.

Lecagr

Screenwriter
Real Name
Lee
I've only seen that opening on MeTV. Was quite a surprise to find an opening to a favorite show that I wasn't aware even existed.

With beautiful HD masters on hand and a company with a history of being amicable to licensing out their properties, it would be a real shame not to see these arrive one of these days on Blu-Ray. I keep hoping to see Mill Creek or Shout Factory take a crack at Adam-12 and Emergency! (Hopefully the former since Shout Factory can be so expensive).

Ideally it would be as a complete series boxset like The Rockford Files had.

Universal has released the Emergency! series twice on DVD, the first time as individual seasons and the second time as a complete series release. The main difference between the two is that the complete series release has single sided discs for all the seasons, while the original individual season releases have double sided/flipper discs for seasons 1 and 2. Whether the series would get released on DVD a third time is currently unknown, the issues with seasons 4 and 5 are what most need corrected.

LeoA

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Leo
An incorrect opening is disappointing, but I felt it was the least of the show's issues on DVD before the HD transfer work caught up in time for the last couple of DVD releases.

That said, my inclusion of Emergency! in my list had more to do with getting the HD transfers out in all their glory on the newer Blu-Ray format than further DVD releases.

If we're talking about getting these right finally, it only makes sense for it to be on the format where it will best shine through.

Lecagr

Screenwriter
Real Name
Lee
An incorrect opening is disappointing, but I felt it was the least of the show's issues on DVD before the HD transfer work caught up in time for the last couple of DVD releases.

That said, my inclusion of Emergency! in my list had more to do with getting the HD transfers out in all their glory on the newer Blu-Ray format than further DVD releases.

If we're talking about getting these right finally, it only makes sense for it to be on the format where it will best shine through.

I know your preference is Blu-Ray, as for me since I don't have Blu-Ray and have no plans to invest in that format, I'd be in for a DVD upgrade of Emergency! seasons 4 and 5. I'll live with what I have if it doesn't happen, would be nice though to see seasons 4 and 5 looking sharp like season 6 does.

jcroy

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
jr
Carsey Werner MIGHT only handle the broadcast distribution of the Cannell library, I do know they handle that.

This would probably make sense. Carsey Werner must have had decades of experience in handling syndication deals.

In contrast, Mill Creek and Cinedigm don't appear to be in the traditional tv syndication business.

Last edited:

jcroy

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
jr
I'm curious if the family is involved in any way, or is it just a bunch of lawyers? Or does anyone in the family even care about all the TV series he created?

According that linked article about the Cinedigm/Cannel 2014 deal, they mention a Michael Dubelko handling the deal on behalf of Stephen J Cannell's estate.

Doing some googling, it appears Dubelko was Cannell's previous business partner from back in the day. If this is indeed the case, then Cannell's family has probably known him for decades and they trust him to handle the estate's affairs.

bmasters9

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ben Masters
I know your preference is Blu-Ray, as for me since I don't have Blu-Ray and have no plans to invest in that format, I'd be in for a DVD upgrade of Emergency! seasons 4 and 5. I'll live with what I have if it doesn't happen, would be nice though to see seasons 4 and 5 looking sharp like season 6 does.

That's probably what's behind many of the complaints on the Emergency! releases-- the inconsistency of picture quality between the individual gos, even within the all-in-one.

Scott511

Second Unit
Real Name
Scott
This would probably make sense. Carsey Werner must have had decades of experience in handling syndication deals.

In contrast, Mill Creek and Cinedigm don't appear to be in the traditional tv syndication business.

For sure they do.

A few years back, a guy who used to work for Carsey Werner put together a presentation trailer about TGAH. I assume to try and interest broadcasters in the series. You might have already seen it.

Scott511

Second Unit
Real Name
Scott
Not aiming for a realistic list, but here's mine.

Adam-12 - Season 1 looks respectable on DVD and seems to have been remastered at some point after the original videotape transfers were created decades ago, but the later seasons are a bit shabby looking. Not nearly as weak as Emergency! could look on DVD, but still deserving of an upgrade. Especially considering the remastering work that went on after their DVD release, it screams out for an upgrade.

I would love to see Adam-12 on Blu ray.

I recorded them uncut years ago off the Canadian channel Deja View, bur happily bought all the seasons when they were finally released.

Scott511

Second Unit
Real Name
Scott
According that linked article about the Cinedigm/Cannel 2014 deal, they mention a Michael Dubelko handling the deal on behalf of Stephen J Cannell's estate.

Doing some googling, it appears Dubelko was Cannell's previous business partner from back in the day. If this is indeed the case, then Cannell's family has probably known him for decades and they trust him to handle the estate's affairs.

Yes I found that a couple of months back.

Also I found a listing on a website that said Cannell Productions has 2 employees, Dubelko and someone else? I used Google Street View with the provided address, and it appeared to be an apartment building?!?

Lecagr

Screenwriter
Real Name
Lee
That's probably what's behind many of the complaints on the Emergency! releases-- the inconsistency of picture quality between the individual gos, even within the all-in-one.

When the series was released a second time as an all-in-one, it's too bad the 4th and 5th seasons didn't get an upgrade at that time, the episodes are the same substandard quality ones from the individual season releases. On the positive side, at least the episodes are uncut/complete, so that's a good thing.

jcroy

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
jr
Also I found a listing on a website that said Cannell Productions has 2 employees, Dubelko and someone else? I used Google Street View with the provided address, and it appeared to be an apartment building?!?

Basically a one/two man operation.

Considering it is just a legacy catalog with no new productions in over a decade, they probably don't need a large organization to handle licensing deals related to dvds, streaming, syndication, movies, etc ...

LeoA

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Leo
I forgot another to add to my list. The Lucy-Desi Comedy Hour.

I was so hoping to see the care they put into the Blu-Ray releases continue long enough to fix all the problems with these on DVD.

bmasters9

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ben Masters
I forgot another to add to my list. The Lucy-Desi Comedy Hour.

I was so hoping to see the care they put into the Blu-Ray releases continue long enough to fix all the problems with these on DVD.

Is one of those flaws inconsistent episode lengths?

LeoA

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Leo
In a way, I suppose.

Except for one episode (I believe it's the Havana episode with Ann Sothern, Cesar Romero, and Rudy Vallee), they're in their syndicated form on DVD with substantial cuts that were made to the negatives to cut down the running time.

My understanding is that CBS has 16 mm prints of all of these in their uncut form (And some of that footage is included on the DVD's as bonus content). But as shown with seasons 1 and 2 on Blu-Ray with the original episode openings and such, CBS is now able to work wonders with these low quality sources and reinsert them into their HD transfers from the cut down 35 mm masters, and make the end result look reasonably seamless.

You can still easily notice the change in quality, but it's not an objectionable one and I think other than for folks like ourselves, many don't pay any attention to it when viewing their season 1 and 2 Blu-Ray's.

John*Wells

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
John
Any chance The original Melrose place Gets a Blu Ray release? It’s a Paramount property if that makes a difference. I was actually able to get the 2009 Melrose place show in Blu Ray

ClassicTVMan1981X

Screenwriter
Real Name
Benjamin
Any chance The original Melrose place Gets a Blu Ray release? It’s a Paramount property if that makes a difference. I was actually able to get the 2009 Melrose place show in Blu Ray
Well, that, and the original Beverly Hills, 90210. The pilot episode, "Class of Beverly Hills," as far as I know, had the 1991-93 version (seasons 2-3) of the theme song (both the main title and end title) when it first came out on VHS around 1993 (watch video below), but I believe when it first aired on FOX October 4, 1990, it originally had the season 1 version that was heard on every episode that particular season except for the second one ("The Green Room").

In syndication, if I know right, "Class of Beverly Hills" had additional footage added, in order for it to air as two one-hour episodes; the original was 90 minutes long.

~Ben

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nielmb
Recent bookmarks