What's new

DVD Sets You Would Like to See Redone? (1 Viewer)

ClassicTVMan1981X

Screenwriter
Real Name
Benjamin
Sanford and Son. This show deserves a full-on new transfer with no syndicated episodes. And I would love to see, just once at least, the full end credits film play out to the end (where the theme gets wild and funky.. It is usually cut short by the new syndication dates billboard tacked to the end of most season 2-6 eps) and Fred and Lamont continue to load the truck and annoy each other. This aired a time or two during the original run.

Bob Newhart Show - This never looked "new" when it was new, but Ideally the original negatives would be restored. I'm led to believe that the last two seasons are/were in miserable shape in the vaults.

Newhart - Needs work. Shout, erm, tried, I guess you could say, to present these as complete as possible, but it needs restoration from the ground-up. Mostly film edited on video so I guess it would be an expensive effort a-la Seinfeld, if attempted. Not likely, I know.

I Dream of Jeannie and Bewitched, with correct themes for all seasons (no more of that darned IDoJ theme with the splice in the audio when the title pops up! Spoils the tempo. Listen for it.), and in proper b&w and color where appropriate. Also, preferably, uncut/not tampered with and no "wobbly" sounding episodes, where the audio flutters throughout (can't remember which ones but both shows had episodes affected.

Cheers uncut.

The Rifleman could look better.

The Fall and Rise of Reginald Perrin - we need this without the pc cuts, without the filmized look, and with all of Reggie's "toothbrush" speech stuff intact, dropouts and all.

Coach unedited, please and thank you!

Gomer Pyle for obvious musical reasons.

And many mo-o-o-o-o-ore!
Yes, about Bewitched and I Dream of Jeannie... breakdowns of original season openings:

BEWITCHED
S1 (1964-1965): 1st version of opening and closing themes
S2 (1965-1966): Same intro as S1 but with updated opening and closing theme music
S3 (1966-1967): 1st version of color intro, music updated again
S4 (1967-1968): same as S3
S5 (1968-1969): updated music yet again
S6 (1969-1970): updated titles to reflect Dick Sargent replacing Dick York, new music
S7 (1970-1971): same as S6, except with announcer saying "Bewitched: starring Elizabeth Montgomery"
S8 (1971-1972): same as S7

I DREAM OF JEANNIE
S1 (1965) version 1 (episodes 2 to 8): live-action intro with Paul Frees narrating
S1 (1965-1966) version 2 (episodes 1 and 9 to 30), animated sequence by DePatie-Freleng Enterprises
S2 (1966-1967): new theme music by Hugo Montenegro, new animated sequence again by DePatie-Freleng Enterprises; Sidney Sheldon's creator credit not present (moved to start of end titles)
S3 (1967-1968): updated Montenegro theme (opening and closing), has Sidney Sheldon's credit restored
S4 (1968-1969): same opening theme, new closing theme
S5 (1969-1970): same S3 opening theme, same S4 closing theme

~Ben

Last edited:

Friendsfa32

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Jason
probably mentioned already:

- Tom & Jerry Golden Collection Vol. 1

i wish they would actually restore the shorts properly for which they had found the original intro and title cards prior to release, even if they only found like 5 to 8 nitrate shorts at most, they just decided not to use them and leave said shorts as they are, WHY?

- That 70's Show with all original music tracks intact

John*Wells

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
John
Silk Stalkings No Flippers. Unfortunately, it appears to be a Fox /Disney property

bmasters9

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ben Masters
the license deal has me confused

Me too! How does Carsey/Werner (a production label generally known for comedies like The Cosby Show, Roseanne, et al.) come to handle the shows of a label generally known for dramas, crime shows and action series?

John*Wells

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
John
Me too! How does Carsey/Werner (a production label generally known for comedies like The Cosby Show, Roseanne, et al.) come to handle the shows of a label generally known for dramas, crime shows and action series?

What I mean is, When I Googled Silk Stalkings, 20th Century Television is listed as the DVD Distributor. 20th Century Television is a Subsidiary of 20th Century Fox. Fox is now owned by Disney. The Original DVD distributor of the show was the late Anchor Bay for Season 1-5. Then Mill Creek Re released Season 1. In 2013, Mill Creek released Season 6-8. The Show is Now Streamed on Hulu (Which Disney Controls) So it seems like the rights have changed hands a few times through various mergers and acquisitions

Scott511

Second Unit
Real Name
Scott

Marcy Carsey & Tom Werner were the ABC execs that brought Cannell into the network to develop series for them. They left ABC shortly after The Greatest American Hero started, as they were huge champions of Cannell and the show they pretty much left him alone. After they left is when the network wanted WW III, monsters, etc every week. I assume even though they left the network, they continued to have a relationship with Cannell and that's how they ended up with his series.

jcroy

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
jr
At this point I suspect if Cinedigm and Cannell's estate are not re-releasing these dvd sets, then their priority is probably on licensing to streaming services.

jcroy

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
jr
One would have to wait until this deal with Cinedigm expires, before any news about these season/series dvd sets will be known.

jcroy

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
jr
I have no idea who would be willing to sign a new deal with Stephen J Cannell's estate to release new dvd sets.

Other than Mill Creek and Anchor Bay, the only other potential candidates might be somebody like VEI or Lionsgate. (Lionsgate bought up Anchor Bay several years ago).

Scott511

Second Unit
Real Name
Scott
I have no idea who would be willing to sign a new deal with Stephen J Cannell's estate to release new dvd sets.

Other than Mill Creek and Anchor Bay, the only other potential candidates might be somebody like VEI or Lionsgate. (Lionsgate bought up Anchor Bay several years ago).

Carsey Werner MIGHT only handle the broadcast distribution of the Cannell library, I do know they handle that. The other licensing such as DVD, streaming, etc might be with the estate. I've researched some of that in the last few months, and can turn up nothing in regards to who is handling that aspect of his programs or even merchandise unrelated to DVDs etc.

I'm curious if the family is involved in any way, or is it just a bunch of lawyers? Or does anyone in the family even care about all the TV series he created?

LeoA

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Leo
Not aiming for a realistic list, but here's mine.

Adam-12 - Season 1 looks respectable on DVD and seems to have been remastered at some point after the original videotape transfers were created decades ago, but the later seasons are a bit shabby looking. Not nearly as weak as Emergency! could look on DVD, but still deserving of an upgrade. Especially considering the remastering work that went on after their DVD release, it screams out for an upgrade.

Combat! - Complete series with fresh uncut, non time-sped HD transfers. Hopefully it happens someday, but I doubt it will be CBS that pays for the remastering and I'm sadly quite sure it won't be them that will release it.

Emergency! - While seasons 1 and 6 look good on DVD (As do the post-series movies), seasons 2-5 are begging for an upgrade with the new transfers Universal created after their vault fire. And while Blu-Ray would be my preference for this entire list, I think this one would be the one that could most benefit. Along with Adam-12, I think these two are about the best I can hope for in my list.

My Three Sons- Seasons 1-5 with HD transfers, original music, and fully uncut.

Petticoat Junction - Season 3's slight bit of music replacement bugs the heck out of me. The Green Acres cues that were utilized when Oliver or Lisa appear were replaced for the DVD release. But rather than silence or just substituting the same music that would otherwise play in scenes such as those that open at Sam Drucker's store (The latter route would've disguised the changes beautifully), they created replacement music that sticks out like a sore thumb. There's not much of it there, but it's just enough to annoy in several episodes with Green Acres cross-overs.

Thankfully the vast majority of my favorites that I've purchased on DVD were done justice to right out the gate. Some have obvious room for upgrades, but are in a solid state the way they are like Dennis the Menace despite the older videotape transfers (Which manage to still look good). And several that weren't well off originally, with Little House on the Prairie the leading example, have since been rectified with beautiful new releases.

Last edited:

Lecagr

Screenwriter
Real Name
Lee
Emergency! - While seasons 1 and 6 look good on DVD (As do the post-series movies), seasons 2-5 are begging for an upgrade

With Emergency!, I would say that seasons 4 and 5 most need upgraded. Seasons 1, 2, 6, the post series movies, and most of season 3 are good quality.

Last edited:

Lecagr

Screenwriter
Real Name
Lee
Why-- film damage, grain...?

Lesser quality video masters were used for seasons 4 and 5, episodes appear to be taken from old syndicated prints. Episodes are uncut but contain the opening credits from season 6. There's some occasional film damage but nothing too major, a few episodes from season 4 have a bad audio track, sound level is soft and muffled. Seasons 4 and 5 DVD's would definitely need upgraded but I don't know what the chances are of it happening.

Lecagr

Screenwriter
Real Name
Lee
I take it the sixth-and-final-season title sequence is different from the other five?

Yep the season 6 opening is quite a bit different from seasons 1-5.

The season 3 DVD has some episodes, I think it's a total of 7 episodes, that were also taken from syndicated prints and those episodes also incorrectly have the season 6 opening.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
papill6n
Recent bookmarks