What's new

DVD Sets You Would Like to See Redone? (1 Viewer)

Josh Steinberg

Premium
Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Josh Steinberg
The overwhelming majority of the effects in TNG were shot on high resolution film but edited together on standard definition tape. So they had the film elements to go back to, but it was essentially the same process as if they were putting the episodes through post production again. The project cost a fortune and the disc sales came nowhere close to recovering the amount spent, unfortunately.

John*Wells

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
John
Good news! This happened years ago - the complete series box set is non-flippers.

Thank you Josh. I looked on Amazon and think I may have found it on single side discs . The problem is that for whatever reason, A lot of Amazon reviews still talk about the flippers even though I clicked on what I believe to be the re release so., I was not sure if I was looking at the right thing

ClassicTVMan1981X

Screenwriter
Real Name
Benjamin
Perry Mason -- many season 5-7 episodes, including the assorted episodes from seasons 6-7 that did not initially air in syndication, have the two parts of their end titles joined together as one, and using the version of the end title theme heard on seasons 1-4. Originally, what went inbetween the two parts of the end titles on these three seasons' worth of episodes (season 5 starting from episode 3) was a sponsor ID tag lasting seven seconds. Many season 6-7 episodes, on DVD, also inexplicably have a silent version of the 1959-62 CBS "Wallpaper" logo.

Old version (with "PLACE COMMERCIAL HERE" where one would see the seven-second sponsor tag):

~Ben

Last edited:

Kasey

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Kasey
Season 5 of Bewitched, the last season with Dick York as Darrin, looks worse than all the others for some reason.
Yes, and this is my favorite season of the show (LOVE all the Serena episodes that year). If Mill Creek ever puts this out on Blu-ray, I hope it's fixed. As well as releasing I Dream of Jeannie and making sure the opening credits don't skip!

Josh Steinberg

Premium
Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Josh Steinberg
Thank you Josh. I looked on Amazon and think I may have found it on single side discs . The problem is that for whatever reason, A lot of Amazon reviews still talk about the flippers even though I clicked on what I believe to be the re release so., I was not sure if I was looking at the right thing

Full disclosure: I have the individual season sets where seasons 1-3 are flippers (seasons 4-7 are normal discs). I was told the box set has single sided discs for everything, and I know the rental versions Warner provided to places like Netflix are single sided. Amazon often lumps in all product reviews together despite there being different editions, so that’s probably that. But I would think that if you ordered it from Amazon and wound up with double sided discs that you could just return it as “not as described” because the photos of the set seem to indicate single sided.

(For me, iTunes recently had the complete series in HD onsale for like $25, so I bought that as a backup for the discs.)

But if you’re West Wing producer John Wells, you should know all of this :D

jcroy

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
jr
I was told the box set has single sided discs for everything ...

I have the complete series set with the special packaging in the style of a "briefcase". It is indeed single-side discs.

Though beware that the discs might possibly have some damage from glue leaking onto the discs from the shoddy briefcase folder packaging design.

Josh Steinberg

Premium
Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Josh Steinberg
Yeah, but that’s a defect easily replaced - if it comes like that, you just return it. Better than the ticking time bombs that double sided dual layer discs often are.

BobO'Link

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Howie
There are still hundreds of shows which have not been released at all. I'm more interested in those than in shows I already have.
I'm generally that way - but I *do* have some flippies I'd love to replace as they're starting to fail. Mainly S1 of Voyage to the Bottom of the Sea. Other than that I'd like to have Gomer Pyle, U.S.M.C. and The Odd Couple in true remastered form - no syndication or music edits.

Angelo Colombus

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Angelo Colombus
I have the vhs tapes of the PBS series The Prize: The Epic Quest for Oil, Money, and Power that came out in 1993. Excellent series about oil narrated by Donald Sutherland and when the dvd came out in 2013 released by Mill Creek the dvd image was WORSE than my video tapes. I could not believe such a thing can happen but Mill Creek must have gotten a vhs tape recoded in EP and made the master dvd from that. I hope it will get a re-release on dvd again and done right.

Lecagr

Screenwriter
Real Name
Lee
Yes, and this is my favorite season of the show (LOVE all the Serena episodes that year). If Mill Creek ever puts this out on Blu-ray, I hope it's fixed. As well as releasing I Dream of Jeannie and making sure the opening credits don't skip!

The Sony DVD's of Bewitched turned out better than I Dream Of Jeannie. The Bewitched episodes are uncut, if there are any edits I'm not aware of them. As you mentioned, the I Dream Of Jeannie episodes seasons 2-5 have the glitch in the opening credits, but the bigger issue is that some episodes are edited and are not fully complete. One episode for example, Meet My Masters Mother, has a sneaky little edit that the average viewer probably wouldn't notice but is noticeable to fans most familiar with the episodes.

Lecagr

Screenwriter
Real Name
Lee
There are still hundreds of shows which have not been released at all. I'm more interested in those than in shows I already have.

I generally agree with your statement although Gomer Pyle USMC would need a re-release with all uncut episodes and no music edits.

Barnaby Jones is the other one I can think of that needs a re-release with all uncut episodes. The current DVD set from VEI is littered with edited episodes.

Jesse Skeen

Senior HTF Member
Laugh-In, with its botched frame rate. Whoever was responsible for that should be forced to redo it properly without extra pay.

I actually LIKE 2-sided discs, as long as they work.

darkrock17

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Andrew McClure
I actually LIKE 2-sided discs

source.gif

Are you serious? Those things were horrible, if you didn't wear silk gloves you'd get smudges on either side of the disc.

Last edited:

ClassicTVMan1981X

Screenwriter
Real Name
Benjamin
I wonder if Buck Rogers in the 25th Century might be a candidate for another re-release or for Blu-Ray?

The way I look at it would be:
Disc 1:
1. "The Awakening" (TV version, 2 hours) (9/20/79)
2. "Planet of the Slave Girls" (2 hours) (9/27/79)

Disc 2:
3. "Vegas in Space" (10/4/79)
4. "The Plot to Kill a City (Part 1)" (10/11/79)
5. "The Plot to Kill a City (Part 2)" (10/18/79)
6. "Return of the Fighting 69th" (10/25/79)

Disc 3:
7. "Unchained Woman" (11/1/79)
8. "Planet of the Amazon Women" (11/8/79)
9. "Cosmic Wiz Kid" (11/15/79)
10. "Escape from Wedded Bliss" (11/29/79)

Disc 4:
11. "Cruise Ship to the Stars" (12/27/79)
12. "Space Vampire" (1/3/80)
13. "Happy Birthday, Buck" (1/10/80)
14. "A Blast for Buck" (1/17/80)

Disc 5:
15. "Ardala Returns" (1/24/80)
16. "Twiki is Missing" (1/31/80)
17. "Olympiad" (2/7/80)
18. "A Dream of Jennifer" (2/14/80)

Disc 6:
19. "Space Rockers" (2/21/80)
20 ."Buck's Duel to the Death" (3/20/80)
21. "Flight of the War Witch" (2 hours) (3/27/80)

Season 2 (1980-1981) DVD set:
Disc 1:
1. "Time of the Hawk" (2 hours) (1/15/81)
2. "Journey to Oasis" (2 hours) (1/22/81)

Disc 2:
3. "The Guardians" (1/29/81)
4. "Mark of the Saurian" (2/5/81)
5. "The Golden Man" (2/19/81)
6. "The Crystals" (3/5/81) (starting from this episode, Mel Blanc makes his anticipated return as the voice of Twiki)

Disc 3:
7. "The Satyr" (3/12/81)
8. "Shgoratchx!" (3/19/81)
9. "The Hand of Goral" (3/26/81)

Disc 4:
10. "Testimony of a Traitor" (4/9/81)
11. "The Dorian Secret" (4/16/81)
12. "The Awakening" (original theatrical version) (3/30/79)

~Ben

Last edited:

Sarah Matheson

Auditioning
Real Name
Sarah
I'd love it if they redid old film footage on the debut of The Beatles 1964 or old interviews with Orson Welles or Henry Ford! The original is super grainy and the loud buzzing is distracting :(

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CoolMovies
Recent bookmarks