DVD Sets You Would Like to See Redone?

Lecagr

Supporting Actor
Reaction score
Real Name
Lee
Rowan & Martin's Laugh In- I don't notice any problems with the video and the shows are complete/uncut so I'm fine with these DVD's from Time Life.

The flipper discs that I have, I'm careful to handle them on the edges and center hole only so none of them have finger prints or smudges on the playing surface.

bmasters9

Producer
Reaction score
Real Name
Ben Masters
Probably said earlier, but any release that does not have the proper, authentic studio logos of the time of the show (like many CBS releases having a newer CBS-Paramount/CBSTD logo, instead of the Paramount logos of the times).

Reactions: ClassicTVMan1981X

LouA

Screenwriter
Reaction score
Real Name
Lou Antonicello
There are still hundreds of shows which have not been released at all. I'm more interested in those than in shows I already have.
Truthfully , I feel the same way . I'd love to be able to see Gale Gordon's The Brothers , Bringing Up Buddy, Boots and Saddles, Father Of The Bride ,and dozens of others that will likely never see "the light of a TV screen" again.

Jack P

Producer
Reaction score
The Odd Couple tops the list for what needs to be redone. Annoyed as I am by shows that are presented syndicated cuts like "Barnaby Jones" I can live with that for the most part. But the butchery that was done to "Odd Couple" robbed us so of so much memorable *comedy* that was integral to the show, with Pernell Roberts' out-of-the-blue rendition of "Cocktails For Two" topping the list for me. I literally can't watch any of the episodes that are missing bits I know by heart.

Jack P

Producer
Reaction score
Right, including stuff like...
But at least one show's DVD set should be re-done to include a banned episode: Hawaii Five-O (1968 TV series). For the season 2 DVD box set, the episode "Bored, She Hung Herself" should be reinstated, and before the opening credits a warning should be placed.
Never going to happen because apparently it's legally forbidden to ever air the episode or show it again as part of the settlement stemming from the lawsuit that episode generated.

Gary OS

Producer
Reaction score
Real Name
Gary
Truthfully , I feel the same way . I'd love to be able to see Gale Gordon's The Brothers , Bringing Up Buddy, Boots and Saddles, Father Of The Bride ,and dozens of others that will likely never see "the light of a TV screen" again.
I imagine many of us feel the same way, but in all fairness to the thread creator the topic was "DVD Sets You'd Like to See Redone". That's a different animal. If given my choice, sure the answer is give me things that have never been released at all versus redoing a series that has already been issued on physical media. No question about that. But as I said, the thread was about shows that could use a re-release, so some of us played along.

Gary "give me first time Ozzie & Harriet season set(s) over a redone HGWT S1-3 if I can only choose one option" O.

Lecagr

Supporting Actor
Reaction score
Real Name
Lee
I thought of another one, Shout Factory would need to re-issue season 1 of Father Knows Best to include every episode uncut. Shout made the correction with Mister Ed and re-issued season 1 with all uncut episodes, but as far as I know this hasn't been done with Father Knows Best.

John*Wells

Screenwriter
Reaction score
Real Name
John
I thought of another one, Shout Factory would need to re-issue season 1 of Father Knows Best to include every episode uncut. Shout made the correction with Mister Ed and re-issued season 1 with all uncut episodes, but as far as I know this hasn't been done with Father Knows Best.
Did the Original release of Father knows best only have syndication edits? Or, were there Music right issues?

MatthewA

Lead Actor
Reaction score
Real Name
Matthew
Add season one of Rhoda to that list.

Reactions: darkrock17

Lecagr

Supporting Actor
Reaction score
Real Name
Lee
Did the Original release of Father knows best only have syndication edits? Or, were there Music right issues?
As far as I know, music rights issues wasn't the problem. Edited/syndicated versions of several episodes somehow ended up on the season 1 DVD's. The set is about an even split of complete episodes and edited ones.

darkrock17

Screenwriter
Reaction score
Real Name
Andrew McClure
As far as I know, music rights issues wasn't the problem. Edited/syndicated versions of several episodes somehow ended up on the season 1 DVD's. The set is about an even split of complete episodes and edited ones.
The the link I posted about all the DVD's, say's that 12 episodes are uncut, the other 13 aren't.

LouA

Screenwriter
Reaction score
Real Name
Lou Antonicello
I imagine many of us feel the same way, but in all fairness to the thread creator the topic was "DVD Sets You'd Like to See Redone". That's a different animal. If given my choice, sure the answer is give me things that have never been released at all versus redoing a series that has already been issued on physical media. No question about that. But as I said, the thread was about shows that could use a re-release, so some of us played along.

Gary "give me first time Ozzie & Harriet season set(s) over a redone HGWT S1-3 if I can only choose one option" O.
I agree! So in fairness here goes :
#1) All of the "flipper " sets should be re-issued ( how about Voyage To The Bottom Of The Sea, Season 2 of Rocky And Bullwinkle , Land of the Giants ),
#2) Any series with music removed should be reissued ( My Three Sons season 1 and 2, Odd Couple ),
#3) Any series issued using syndicated prints (Like Joey Bishop, Real McCoys ) should also be re-released using complete original broadcast prints .
I would buy any of these , and as a matter of fact , I'm gradually re buying the two sided single sided as they are reissued . (Just got Adam 12 Season 1)
Meanwhile, I'm ALWAYS interested in buying any vintage shows being released for the first time.
Last but not least , someone please give us the complete mega-box of unedited seasons of Ozzie And Harriet , (no syndicated prints , Rickey's songs, and properly mastered ) . We can dream ….

Last edited:

bmasters9

Producer
Reaction score
Real Name
Ben Masters
#1) All of the "flipper " sets should be re-issued ( how about Voyage To The Bottom Of The Sea, Season 2 of Rocky And Bullwinkle , Land of the Giants ),
And the abortive first go on St. Elsewhere (we need more of that one, too-- come on, Shout!).

Gary OS

Producer
Reaction score
Real Name
Gary
#2) Any series with music removed should be reissued ( My Three Sons season 1 and 2, Odd Couple ),
#3) Any series issued using syndicated prints (Like Joey Bishop, Real McCoys ) should also be re-released using complete original broadcast prints .
I would buy any of these , and as a matter of fact , I'm gradually re buying the two sided single sided as they are reissued . (Just got Adam 12 Season 1)
Meanwhile, I'm ALWAYS interested in buying any vintage shows being released for the first time.
Last but not least , someone please give us the complete mega-box of unedited seasons of Ozzie And Harriet , (no syndicated prints , Rickey's songs, and properly mastered ) . We can dream ….
Big "A-M-E-N" to all of that, Lou. These companies would make me a pauper if they'd re-release vintage shows uncut, unedited, remastered, and on single--sided discs AS WELL AS never-before released vintage series. I'm in for all of it.

To #2 I'd add Gomer Pyle and Happy Days, among others

To #3 I'd add Father Knows Best S1, among others.

Gary "as it is right now these companies are getting very, very, very little of my cash" O.

bmasters9

Producer
Reaction score
Real Name
Ben Masters
Especially Happy Days-- the latter five gos of that 1974-84 ABC comedy were generally viewed quite derisively for various reasons, but as with any show, they do have fans who have enjoyed the whole show notwithstanding the reviews, so the rest of that show deserves to be out.

LouA

Screenwriter
Reaction score
Real Name
Lou Antonicello
Big "A-M-E-N" to all of that, Lou. These companies would make me a pauper if they'd re-release vintage shows uncut, unedited, remastered, and on single--sided discs AS WELL AS never-before released vintage series. I'm in for all of it.

To #3 I'd add Father Knows Best S1, among others.

Gary "as it is right now these companies are getting very, very, very little of my cash" O.
YES to all three of those !

Robbie^Blackmon

Stunt Coordinator
Reaction score
Sanford and Son. This show deserves a full-on new transfer with no syndicated episodes. And I would love to see, just once at least, the full end credits film play out to the end (where the theme gets wild and funky.. It is usually cut short by the new syndication dates billboard tacked to the end of most season 2-6 eps) and Fred and Lamont continue to load the truck and annoy each other. This aired a time or two during the original run.

Bob Newhart Show - This never looked "new" when it was new, but Ideally the original negatives would be restored. I'm led to believe that the last two seasons are/were in miserable shape in the vaults.

Newhart - Needs work. Shout, erm, tried, I guess you could say, to present these as complete as possible, but it needs restoration from the ground-up. Mostly film edited on video so I guess it would be an expensive effort a-la Seinfeld, if attempted. Not likely, I know.

I Dream of Jeannie and Bewitched, with correct themes for all seasons (no more of that darned IDoJ theme with the splice in the audio when the title pops up! Spoils the tempo. Listen for it.), and in proper b&w and color where appropriate. Also, preferably, uncut/not tampered with and no "wobbly" sounding episodes, where the audio flutters throughout (can't remember which ones but both shows had episodes affected.

Cheers uncut.

The Rifleman could look better.

The Fall and Rise of Reginald Perrin - we need this without the pc cuts, without the filmized look, and with all of Reggie's "toothbrush" speech stuff intact, dropouts and all.

Coach unedited, please and thank you!

Gomer Pyle for obvious musical reasons.

And many mo-o-o-o-o-ore!

Forum Sponsors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
sandeepumtneha