What's new

DVD-Audio (1 Viewer)

BryantJones

Auditioning
Question on DVD-A...

In order to get the best sound quality, you need to use those 6 analog outputs on the player, correct? What sort of cable do you use for that?

Also, I'm a little confused as to how a DVD player can act as both a video and audio system. Do I connect both a toslink/coaxial and the analog cables to the player? Will the player know to use the toslink when playing movies and the analog when playing DVD-Audio?

Sorry for the onslaught of questions :frowning: I just can't seem to find a clear answer..

Thanks for the help!

BryantJones

Auditioning
Question on DVD-A...

In order to get the best sound quality, you need to use those 6 analog outputs on the player, correct? What sort of cable do you use for that?

Also, I'm a little confused as to how a DVD player can act as both a video and audio system. Do I connect both a toslink/coaxial and the analog cables to the player? Will the player know to use the toslink when playing movies and the analog when playing DVD-Audio?

Sorry for the onslaught of questions :frowning: I just can't seem to find a clear answer..

Thanks for the help!

Glenn Overholt

Senior HTF Member
I'm going to jump in as I brought a Sony changer a few days ago that has all of your outputs on it. Anyone feel free to correct me on this, as I haven't tried the analog layout outyet.

First, the coax vs optical are one and the same, so you don't need both. Some receivers have both connections, but on different selections (DVD/SAT/etc.) You may pick the coax for DVD, and discover that your only other input (for SAT) is optical, and your sat receiver doesn't have an optical output - which would mean that you'd have to switch them around. The optical cables won't work if they are knotted and/or kinked, thereby making sharp turns.

You do have to remember that all movies carry both audio and video signals normally. Most DVD players have the standard L/R (Red & white) analog pair also.

The 6 analog outputs are another story. Your receiver MUST have the six corresponding inputs in order to carry this signal. This is supposed to be better, but you might have to do some tweaking with your receiver. Since they are analog inputs you probably could use just about any cables (2 pairs and 2 singles).

I hope all of that helps.

Glenn

Glenn Overholt

Senior HTF Member
I'm going to jump in as I brought a Sony changer a few days ago that has all of your outputs on it. Anyone feel free to correct me on this, as I haven't tried the analog layout outyet.

First, the coax vs optical are one and the same, so you don't need both. Some receivers have both connections, but on different selections (DVD/SAT/etc.) You may pick the coax for DVD, and discover that your only other input (for SAT) is optical, and your sat receiver doesn't have an optical output - which would mean that you'd have to switch them around. The optical cables won't work if they are knotted and/or kinked, thereby making sharp turns.

You do have to remember that all movies carry both audio and video signals normally. Most DVD players have the standard L/R (Red & white) analog pair also.

The 6 analog outputs are another story. Your receiver MUST have the six corresponding inputs in order to carry this signal. This is supposed to be better, but you might have to do some tweaking with your receiver. Since they are analog inputs you probably could use just about any cables (2 pairs and 2 singles).

I hope all of that helps.

Glenn

ScottCHI

Screenwriter
you will determine which audio you want to use with your receiver, not the player. if you want to watch movies through the analog connection, you simply use the receiver's external inputs, just as you would for dvd-audio playback. the player will decode it properly depending upon what format it's in, be it a regular cd a dolbydigital movie, or a dvd-audio disc.

many players, for further cleanliness, will allow you to turn off the video circuitry and the digital output circuitry when being used for analog audio playback only, whether it's regular or hirez audio.

what player and receiver (or pre/pro/amp) do you have, btw?

ScottCHI

Screenwriter
you will determine which audio you want to use with your receiver, not the player. if you want to watch movies through the analog connection, you simply use the receiver's external inputs, just as you would for dvd-audio playback. the player will decode it properly depending upon what format it's in, be it a regular cd a dolbydigital movie, or a dvd-audio disc.

many players, for further cleanliness, will allow you to turn off the video circuitry and the digital output circuitry when being used for analog audio playback only, whether it's regular or hirez audio.

what player and receiver (or pre/pro/amp) do you have, btw?

Ed Moxley

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ed

It will know, because to watch a movie, you push the dvd button on the receiver or the remote, and to listen to dvd-audio, you push the multi-channel button (EXT. IN on Denons) on the receiver or remote.
The receiver DOESN'T know automatically between the two.
If you listen to dvd-audio without using the multi-channel button, you're listening to the DD tracks, instead of the HiRes 5.1 surround tracks. The HiRes tracks are what dvd-audio and sacd is all about.
Enjoy........... :)

Ed Moxley

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ed

It will know, because to watch a movie, you push the dvd button on the receiver or the remote, and to listen to dvd-audio, you push the multi-channel button (EXT. IN on Denons) on the receiver or remote.
The receiver DOESN'T know automatically between the two.
If you listen to dvd-audio without using the multi-channel button, you're listening to the DD tracks, instead of the HiRes 5.1 surround tracks. The HiRes tracks are what dvd-audio and sacd is all about.
Enjoy........... :)

StephenHa

Second Unit
the player will output to all outputs at once (normally) use a good cable for yor 6 audio connections and I would run the coax or toslink for watching movies

StephenHa

Second Unit
the player will output to all outputs at once (normally) use a good cable for yor 6 audio connections and I would run the coax or toslink for watching movies

ScottCHI

Screenwriter
the player still won't know.

and, as i stated, you don't necessarily have to use a digi connection for your movie audio, either.

i think i answered his question quite sufficiently, guys.

ScottCHI

Screenwriter
the player still won't know.

and, as i stated, you don't necessarily have to use a digi connection for your movie audio, either.

i think i answered his question quite sufficiently, guys.

BryantJones

Auditioning
Wow, I didn't expect this many replies so soon. Thank you all! :b

I have a 6.1 system (That Onkyo HTiB), so I need to use the digital connection for movies. It's possible for me to hook up the DVD player (haven't decided which one yet..that upconverting Samsung looks nice though :emoji_thumbsup: ) with both a digital connection and an analog connection, plus the regular video cables? And then I just swap between the two audio signals manually depending on what I'm listening to? That sounds simple enough. The manual that came with my receiver had absolutely nothing on those analog inputs...

BryantJones

Auditioning
Wow, I didn't expect this many replies so soon. Thank you all! :b

I have a 6.1 system (That Onkyo HTiB), so I need to use the digital connection for movies. It's possible for me to hook up the DVD player (haven't decided which one yet..that upconverting Samsung looks nice though :emoji_thumbsup: ) with both a digital connection and an analog connection, plus the regular video cables? And then I just swap between the two audio signals manually depending on what I'm listening to? That sounds simple enough. The manual that came with my receiver had absolutely nothing on those analog inputs...

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Feetman
Recent bookmarks