What's new

DVD-A or SACD? (1 Viewer)

Todd Terwilliger

Screenwriter
I haven't been really following the developments of either format. Is either of the two close to becoming the standard for next-gen music or are they relatively equal in terms of hardware and software support?

Thanks.

RicP

Screenwriter
Todd,
Do a search in Hardware and Music for more information than you may want ;)
There's been vast multi-page discussions on this a few times in the recent past.

dougW

Stunt Coordinator
IMO, SACD seems to have the lead. I just haven't seen that much on DVD-A, at all. But have heard SACD left and right.
IMO, SACD will be the surviver, if one has to go. But I still personally put my money on good old redbook, due to the software library. (Rega Jupiter and love it) :)
Lex

Robert A. Willis Jr.

Second Unit
You are going to hear from avid fans of both formats. The truth is that no one knows. Manufacturers of both formats have made a number of serous marketing mistakes. On most home equipment there really isn't any big sound differences.
The real difference in sound will come from the care and dedication to high quality sound of the record commpanies.:frowning: We have already seen two technologies (records and CD's) that have great potential but most of the product was and is poor from an audio view.:angry:
I am hoping that the market has enough room for both formats. Universal units (eith digital outputs)can be on the market in months if the manufacturers stopped playing politics.
rw

Michael_T

Second Unit
On most home equipment there really isn't any big sound differences
I beg to differ. I own what many would consider mid-fi (Integra 6.2 receiver, NHT 2.5i fronts, NHT Audiocenter 2, NHT 1.5 surrounds, Paradigm PDR-10 sub, Technices DVD-A10 DVD-Audio player, Sony 333ES stereo SACD player, Sony CE775 multichannel SACD player), and I can most definitely hear the difference between the formats.

Granted, I think DVD-Audio is an improvement over redbook CD, SACD just sounds more natural, more "analog", more musical overall.

I love both formats, and have found benefits in both, but even with my system I can tell you that SACD is clearly the sonic winner.

I might tend to agree with you if someone is listening on inexpensive 'home Theatre in a box' type systems, but with a fairly nice system, one that actually doesn't break the bank, with the right software the differences are evident between the two formats.

KeithH

Senior HTF Member
Michael, obviously, everything is relative. Your system may be mid-fi by the standards of people on this site and Audio Asylum, but it is outstanding from the vantage point of the general public. Not counting anyone on these web sites, the only person I know who has a capable audio system is my brother (Yamaha RX-V3000 receiver, Sony DVP-S9000ES DVD/SACD player, Energy Veritas V2.2 bookshelf speakers, and Energy Veritas center speaker). Frankly, with the exception of the receiver, I helped him pick out the system. So, I know no one outside of these web sites who has bought quality equipment on their own. Most people don't care about equipment, even if they love music. My dad has somewhere in the neighborhood of 2000 classical CDs and a myriad of tapes and LPs, but he plays everything on a Kenwood rack system that he bought in the late '80s. Even the speakers are Kenwoods. He has heard my systems and commented repeatedly about how good they sound, yet he won't upgrade anything. For people like my father, and there are many like him, SACD probably would sound no better than CD.

With my father, his lack of interest in quality equipment is a shame. I'm sure his classical music would sound great on my systems. Although his equipment is not too good, I am thinking of getting him a Sony SCD-CE775 for his birthday in March. Maybe I would get him a couple classical SACDs as well. It is very possible that SACDs would sound no better than CDs on his Kenwood system, but maybe the new component would get him thinking of upgrading other equipment.

Camp

Senior HTF Member
On most home equipment there really isn't any big sound differences.
Huh? That crack you're taking must be going in your ears. :)
There is a huge difference in sound quality. SACD and DVD-A aren't intended for people with a Walmart bought RCA home theater in a box. These formats are intended for us HT dorks.

John Tillman

Supporting Actor
I've recently integrated both formats into my system. All I can say is if you enjoy music, jump in. The bonus is all my redbook cd's sounds better due to the SACD player.

I'd bet $500.00 could purchase both formats. However, your amp/receiver needs 6 channel analog inputs.

Evan S

Senior HTF Member
John, if you don't mind my asking, what SACD player would that be that has significantly improved your redbook performance and what model were you using previous?

KeithH

Senior HTF Member
Robert,

The Integra DPS-9.1 and Sony SCD-XA777ES are very nice components. I have heard both, but unfortunately, not side-by-side. Some people on Audio Asylum say the 'XA777ES is a better stereo player than the venerable SCD-1 and SCD-777ES. If so, then the 'XA777ES is one great player. I haven't been able to compare it to the '1 or '777ES either, unfortunately. In any event, my guess is that the 'XA777ES is a better CD player than the '9.1 since the '9.1 is cheaper and has a video section. That said, I have been impressed with the '9.1 on the occasions I have heard it. Oddly enough, the current issue of Hi-Fi Choice out of the UK gave the related Integra Research RDV-1 and Onkyo DV-S939 mediocre reviews from an audio standpoint. Obviously, your opinion on the '9.1 is all that matters in the end. I would be curious to hear your thoughts after you have had a chance to thoroughly compare the '9.1 and 'XA777ES.

Camp,

Walmart equipment aside, I wonder if one could hear the differences between SACD and CD when using a $250 JVC receiver and a $200 pair of Polk speakers from Best Buy. There are a lot of people out there with such equipment. Now, you might say that high-resolution formats aren't intended for such people, but if you look at the prices of the low-end SACD and DVD-Audio players, you could fool me. I could certainly see a person with the $250 JVC receiver and $200 Polk speakers in need of a new DVD player buying the Sony DVP-NS500V for $300 or Toshiba SD-4700 for $250. Both players are available at Best Buy. Maybe SACD and DVD-Audio wouldn't sound better with such a receiver and speakers. I wonder.

Michael_T

Second Unit
Keith,

I think the low-priced SACD equipment (as well as almost all DVD-Audio equipment) is solidly marketed to highlight the surround sound aspect of the format (which you are probably aware of anyway). So, even though it may be questionable as to whether a sonic difference would be preceptible to those owning the less-expensive equipment you mention (JVC - POlK), the SACD players would either be bought for their surround capability, or in the case of the DVD/SACD player combos, as DVD-Players that just happen to have SACD as a bonus.

The sad part of this scenario is if someone does buy one of the DVD/SACD combo players and decides to try a stereo SACD out on his low-end HT equipment and doesn't hear a difference - what are the chances of them ever buying another SACD? Slim to none, I guess.

That is why Sony is smart in pushing the multichannel aspect to low-end HT enthusiasts, since even if the sonic benefits are not discernable, at least the fact that the music swirls around your room will be - and hopefully that will sell the format, so people like you and I continue to get the quality SACDs we want.

Robert A. Willis Jr.

Second Unit
Keith,
Thank for the advice. I think that I may end up with both in the same system. There are disks that I like in both formats.
Others,
I don't know but I think the main difference in the sound (for most folks) between the formats will be the quality of the production. I've been very frustrated in the past listening to great music which was poorly produced. People whose ear's I trust and have spent a lot more money than I, seem to think that both formats sound about the same. So please don't start another format war. I'll find this out for myself. My system is a bit old but I think it is fairly good. Proceed AVP (waiting for the upgrade), Mark Levinson ML 335, Anthem MCA-5 for the center and surrounds. Martin Logan Quest, Cinema, Stylos and Scripts. CAL Audio CL 20 DVD. I just received a Toshiba 34" 16X9 TV which is pretty nice.
This is a system that has been built over the years and tends to morph occaisionally ;) It was built relying on my own ears. As I said, I'll audition the Integra and Sony but I have the feeling that I'll keep both (if they sound good) because there is quite a bit of software that I like in both formats. The question is why should I have to buy two units to get the best of both worlds? :angry: When will the universal models that are excellent for both formats appear?
I HATE POLITICS!
rw

John Tillman

Supporting Actor
Evan:
Previous redbook player is my current DVD-Audio/progressive scan player, a Panasonic RP-91. The SACD player is a SCD-C555ES, which is only a week or so old. Problem is, now I shop for DVD-A's, SACD's and redbook CD's.
Remember the TV comercial for a label maker where the guy was sitting there with labels all over himself... Problem? What problem? I don't have a problem.
I'm starting to feel like that guy :).

RicP

Screenwriter
Right now...as it stands...SACD sounds better to me.

That being said, I own both formats. I have a Panasonic RP-91 DVD-Audio player and I just got a Sony XA-777ES SACD player to go along with the SCD-333ES SACD changer that I already had.

DVD-Audio can be very good; the Eagles Hotel California in 24/192 is astounding, but on the whole I find SACD's more pleasing, easier to listen to, less fatigue.

I would just love to see both formats get a glut of releases this year. If there's going to be a winner, then let it be decided by the consumers and don't let both formats die from lack of support before they even have a chance to get off the ground.

FWIW, I believe that both formats can survive. SACD has the hybrid disc which is its trump, and DVD-A has the fact that virtually every new DVD-V player will also be DVD-A compatible. There's no reason why both formats cannot continue to live alongside Redbook CD -- which I think is going to be here for a very long time to come.

Evan S

Senior HTF Member
John, I'm glad you said that.

I presently have a 555ES on order from Oade Brothers but haven't received it yet. KeithH and Chip E on this forum swear by it's redbook performance, but when I went on Audio Asylum.com the inmates over there seem to pan the 555ES as far as Redbook playback is concerned. Such wide disparity in the opinions of redbook playback regarding this player has me a little concerned and confused. I'm sure when I get the player, I will be extremely pleased in it's performance, but I've heard everything from "it's the best player in my system and I have 4 other redbook units" to "it sounds in redbook mode like a $150 Toshiba model."

So hearing your good opinion at least gives me a little relief.

Lewis Besze

Senior HTF Member
I just read an interview with Bob Stuart of Meridian,on the pages of WSR,it was quiet interesting regarding this subject.Check it out!;)

AjayM

Screenwriter
Now, you might say that high-resolution formats aren't intended for such people, but if you look at the prices of the low-end SACD and DVD-Audio players, you could fool me. I could certainly see a person with the $250 JVC receiver and $200 Polk speakers in need of a new DVD player buying the Sony DVP-NS500V for $300 or Toshiba SD-4700 for $250. Both players are available at Best Buy.
The prices of low-end SACD/DVDA players are still very high compared to the prices of a regular redbook "best-buy" CD Player. $250-300 will buy you an entry level audiophile CD Player these days. And the cost of the discs vs the cost of regular CD's is still an issue as well.

Now lots of people may buy a DVD player and get the capability of having either format, but I doubt most of those people are interested in it (just another feature that J6P will never use, like MP3 decoding).

Actually, do $200-400 recievers even have 5.1 analog inputs and passthrough?

Andrew

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
khuranatech
Recent bookmarks