What's new

SD_Brian

Screenwriter
Real Name
Brian
I love Robert Richardson’s work. In fact I love his other Stone film U-Turn.
Robert Richardson shot all of Oliver Stone's "golden era" films, from Salvador through U-Turn. I seem to recall hearing they had a falling out after U-Turn, but if they did, they must have mended their fences as Richardson was back as DP on JFK Revisited.

In Natural Born Killers, Richardson was unleashed and allowed to indulge in whatever stylistic flourishes he could come up with. It's good stuff.

Wes Candela

Visual Storytelling Enthusiast
Premium
Real Name
Wes Candela
It's probably pulled from his act but the line "This fuckin' food, you pray after you eat." still makes me laugh.
I heard… So do not take this for a fact, but I heard that Oliver Stone let him write his own dialogue. I can’t tell you if it’s true, but I wouldn’t doubt it from how hysterical he is, and downright demonic

it's a genius movie when I think about it I saw it three times or four times in the movie theater back in 94.
I was mesmerized
But I was in love with Oliver Stone anyway, because of JFK, which I cannot wait to see in 4K

SD_Brian

Screenwriter
Real Name
Brian
The kids watching this movie for the first time today may not recognize all the infamous faces that appear in the very dated closing montage (Lorena Bobbitt, Tonya Harding, the Menendez Bros, OJ, Rodney King, et al).

Last edited:

TravisR

Senior HTF Member
The kids watching this movie for the first time today may not recognize all the infamous faces that appear in the very dated closing montage (Lorena Bobbitt, Tonya Harding, the Menendez Bros, OJ, Rodney King, et al).
Even people who were alive in 1994 will probably have trouble remembering how the portrayal of the media seemed over the top back then. That element of the movie just seems normal now.

Wes Candela

Premium
Real Name
Wes Candela
What was absolutely daring and visionary to us in 1994 sadly will not be, as with so many other, amazing movies, to newer generations

God bless the few that take the time to think about what it was like for us back then, but yes, Rodney King, the Menendez brothers, OJ, Lorna Bobbitt, Tonya Harding, excellent point, sir

Wes Candela

Premium
Real Name
Wes Candela
For some viewers, Oliver Stone's 1994 Natural Born Killers, a kind of next gen Bonnie and Clyde, only now Mickey and Mallory, seems to be a love it or hate it situation. Mixed media all the way and uber-violent.

There have been numerous incarnations of the film, both in theatrical as well as Director's Cut, but for lovers of the film, Shout Factory's latest 4k three-disc combo seems to top the others.

The Director's Cut is both 4k as well as BD, while the original Theatrical is BD only. For audio, all three are DTS-HD 5.1, and the tracks are superb.

These are new scans of the OCN, and possibly because of that, while the 4k looks superb, especially when viewing the hi-con titles, the BD is right behind it. View the film from a nominal seating distance and either format works beautifully.

For fans of the film the 4k is the way to go.

As mixed media and format, grain is sometimes in your face, but it's proper. Color and densities are superb.

Various extras, some new, some not are arranged over all three discs, making it a true Collector's Edition.

Image – 5 (Dolby Vision)

Audio – 5 (DTS-HD MA 5.1)

Pass / Fail – Pass

Plays nicely with projectors - Yes

Makes use of and works well in 4k - 7

Upgrade from Blu-ray - If you love the film

Worth your attention - 7

Slipcover rating - 1

Recommended

RAH

Thank you for supporting HTF when you preorder using the link below. As an Amazon Associate, HTF earns from qualifying purchases. If you are using an adblocker you will not see link.

, but for lovers of the film, Shout Factory's latest 4k three-disc combo seems to top the others.

The Director's Cut is both 4k as well as BD, while the original Theatrical is BD only. For audio, all three are DTS-HD 5.1, and the tracks are superb.

These are new scans of the OCN, and possibly because of that, while the 4k looks superb, especially when viewing the hi-con titles, the BD is right behind it. View the film from a nominal seating distance and either format works beautifully.

For fans of the film the 4k is the way to go.

As mixed media and format, grain is sometimes in your face, but it's proper. Color and densities are superb.

Various extras, some new, some not are arranged over all three discs, making it a true Collector's Edition.

Image – 5 (Dolby Vision)

Audio – 5 (DTS-HD MA 5.1)

Pass / Fail – Pass
I just watched. I’ve never seen this movie look better.

The clarity is just berserk.
it’s a thing of beauty congratulations to shout factory they’ve done justice to natural born killers

Now, if we could just get JFK…

SD_Brian

Screenwriter
Real Name
Brian
Now, if we could just get JFK…
Based on their NBK release, here's hoping Warner licenses JFK out to Shout Factory as well, and that they'll be able to include the long-lost theatrical cut.

Back to NBK for a moment: I've seen this movie many, many times and still find new things to notice. Viewing via the increased resolution of the 4K release has been the first time I've been able to read the 3 name tags worn by the waitress at the diner in the opening scene:

1) Mabel
2) Hi! My Name is Mabel!
3) If you need anything, ask for Mabel!

I may have the exact wording of those name tags wrong, but it made the moment where Mallory calls her by the wrong name much funnier.

Last edited:

owen35

Second Unit
Real Name
Steve
The Ultimate Cut of Alexander is much, much, much better than what was released theatrically, and can stand beside some of Stone's best work, IMHO. It doesn't solve the accent problem unfortunately, but even though it's almost an hour longer than the theatrical cut, it feels about 6 hours shorter.
I'd agree that the film got better the more he tinkered with it. It has always been a guilty-pleasure movie for me--I didn't mind its flaws. It's how I treat Heaven's Gate, a film that I have personally re-edited to see if I could make it any better. (My cut is 10 minutes shorter and culled from the Criterion and original "studio edit.")

TravisR

Senior HTF Member
Based on their NBK release, here's hoping Warner licenses JFK out to Shout Factory as well, and that they'll be able to include the long-lost theatrical cut.
Can't speak to which version it'll be but Oliver Stone posted on Facebook a few hours ago that Shout would be releasing JFK in December.

He was talking about the NBK release and at the end, he said...
Shout! Factory is also bringing out -- after so long a wait -- a 4K version of "JFK" in December.

SD_Brian

Screenwriter
Real Name
Brian
Can't speak to which version it'll be but Oliver Stone posted on Facebook a few hours ago that Shout would be releasing JFK in December.
It's now listed on the Shout! Factory website, as a 4-disc set, and lists run times of 205 and 188 minutes, so it does indeed appear that both cuts will be included :cheers:

Wes Candela

Premium
Real Name
Wes Candela

Back to NBK for a moment: I've seen this movie many, many times and still find new things to notice. Viewing via the increased resolution of the 4K release has been the first time I've been able to read the 3 name tags worn by the waitress at the diner in the opening scene:

1) Mabel
2) Hi! My Name is Mabel!
3) If you need anything, ask for Mabel!

I may have the exact wording of those name tags wrong, but it made the moment where Mallory calls her by the wrong name much funnier.
I re-watched it, and I have to take back what I said I fell in love with it all over again, and I brought me back to being 20 years old sitting in a movie theater with my jaw wide-open, watching the footage change, and the rapidfire editing I was just so in love with the FILM and how Stone presented it to us

This 4K release brings me right back there
even the VHS scenes of I love Mallory sequence look absolutely horrible and perfect

then it cuts to FILM. Oh my God.

Beautiful beautiful release

I remember when it came out how many people said they had never seen anything like it before

I saw it four times in the movie theater

People were rocked they couldn’t even explain it

Somebody asked me to explain it, and I said it’s this multimedia extravaganza of visual explosion on your senses

they also remember arguing with my girlfriend’s father at the time who is a journalist who said he didn’t like the movie because he felt it was a slam on journalism.
I said it is not a slam on journalism. It’s a slam on the generation and what we’ve been reduced to. There’s a lot of Messages in the film.

I kept on trying to tell him that Oliver Stone was trying to get a message across

he told me I was looking into it too much

he’s gone now. God bless him, but he was wrong.

Yes, I agree with you. The clarity is something to jump up and celebrate.

Wes Candela

Premium
Real Name
Wes Candela

I heard, and I can’t tell you where
That Warner Bros. was preparing a release of JFK.
The 30th anniversary release

And I heard they’ve been working on it for a while, so this is a bit of a surprise for me

However
I need to look into this

The news this is great
I saw an opening night I was 17 years old
There the theater, so I sat on the steps

It became my favorite movie by the time Donald Sutherland entered the film

and it has remained my favorite movie ever since

that’s 32 years of telling people my favorite movie is JFK.
not a fan of the Directors cut personally

Just give me that theatrical cut and I’ll be pumped!!

Thank you for the news

Wes Candela

Premium
Real Name
Wes Candela

I’m so pumped thank you for this. I just did a little research and the only information I got was.

It’s going to be remastered
Both cuts
And it will look like this

IMG_1801.png

with the theatrical poster included for $60

I cannot wait.
I wonder if we will get an Atmos track will it be in Dolby Vision?

IMG_1802.jpeg

JoshZ

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Joshua Zyber
With disc in hand, I'm feeling that it's a shame only the director's cut is in 4K. Especially when the case says that the theatrical cut Blu-ray is a new scan of the OCN.

I don't dislike the director's cut for this one, but I'd prefer the theatrical be prioritized.

Wes Candela

Premium
Real Name
Wes Candela
With disc in hand, I'm feeling that it's a shame only the director's cut is in 4K. Especially when the case says that the theatrical cut Blu-ray is a new scan of the OCN.

I don't dislike the director's cut for this one, but I'd prefer the theatrical be prioritized.
That’s sad.
Rule of thumb:
Give the audience what they are paying for.

if we ask for JFK, Please deliver JFK.

if you would like to include a 4K addition of the Directors cut… Fantastic we will be happy for the additional cut.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mycuu
Recent bookmarks