What's new

Dual Rear Center Hook Up (1 Viewer)

Nigel T

Auditioning
I am setting up my first home theater system. I have the Yamaha RX-V2300 6.1 receiver and using JBL Studio 11 series speakers for surround sound. The projector will have to wait a few months. I have got two JBL S3611 to mount at the rear center and want to check on how to wire them.

My electronic technician friend says I should wire them in Parallel but have seen 3 posts here on the forum wiring two rear centers in Series.

Any comments appreciated.

Wayne A. Pflughaupt

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Wayne
Nigel,

Neither method will deliver optimal results.

Speaking generally here, and assuming your speakers are 8-ohms: Connecting both in parallel will result in a 4-ohm load, and the amplifier will, to a point, double its output to drive both speakers. However, most home theater receivers are not designed to handle 4-ohm loads, so you run the risk of blowing that channel – or at least shortening it’s usable life.

Connecting in series gives a 16-ohm nominal load, which is much easier to drive, but cuts the amplifier’s maximum output in half. This output will be divided between the two speakers; thus, two speakers in series on a 100-watt amp/channel will ultimately end up getting only 25 watts each. So your rear speakers will have a hard time keeping up with the others that are getting 100 watts each.

If you must use both rear speakers, it’s safer to wire them in series. But optimally you should get a separate amp to drive at least one of them.

Regards,
Wayne A. Pflughaupt

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nielmb
Recent bookmarks