What's new

Dual PW-2200 VS SVS (1 Viewer)

Dan_Gtp

Grip
Hello,
Although I have heard that even the CS line from SVS has more output and extensio than the PW-2200, I am basicaly limited to it because of the cost living in Canada, so my option is either:
Dual PW-2200
Servo-15
Tempest based DYI
I would love to know how a dual PW-2200 setup would compare to the SVS line. I'm sure it would match a CS+ series, except maybe extension. Also, would they outperform a single Servo-15? Finding an ample amp to drive a Tempest based DYI might be a problem, along with me not wanting to build one :)
Any thoughts or opinions on my options are appreciated.
Da

Greg_R

Screenwriter
Real Name
Greg
Most Tempest designs require very little power (a 250W plate amp is usually plenty). The Servo is an extremely clean & musical subwoofer that outputs enough bass for most people. The PW2200s will have more output vs. the servo but won't be as clean and controlled. The Tempest (depending on the design) can beat both options and will cost less. If you have the tools & the time, it's going to be hard to beat a good DIY design.

Dustin B

Senior HTF Member
Tempest will easily be the best, even if you don't consider the ample cost savings. I built one in Canada including a 250W plate amp (trust me and Greg, ample for a large ported tempest) for right around $800CDN (that includes everything). With the knowledge gained from that build, I could do it for $700 or less now.

The PW2200 will not match the output or extension of the CS or PCi (exact same subs, just powered differently). It will be very close but not quite there. The CS+ is no contest. However, given the cost difference for a Canadian the PW2200 (after tax should be in the $750-$850CDN range) becomes a not to hard decision over the SVS.

And like Greg said, the PW2200 has more above 30hz output, but less extension than the Servo.

Robert_Gaither

Screenwriter
The PW2200 should be close to the SVS performance above 30hz but the main difference you will notice is below 30 hz due to the tuning of the sub (SVS has a greater volume and longer port).

Concerning DIY subs usually the first sub built will not be a cost saving but having the tools and knowledge will allow the future subs to be built cheaper and faster. I'd advise checking garage sales and pawn shops for tools to save even more money and buy only carbide blades and cutters as well. This being said you can easily build a sub that will outperform most of the echelon subs in output, extension, and efficiency (thus lower power requirement for both spl and low hz desired) as long as a larger cabinet is involved. I would consider an IB if you own your home or intend to live in it for 5+ years (assuming you don't mind losing your deposit on a rental). If you're an apartment dweller I'd advise buying a house first before building a superior sub.

Other things to consider since you state you own a PW2200, you might want to consider room treatment and eq before adding another sub to clear up or enhance the sub you already have. Sometimes on upgrading we're just looking for a different sound and right now you have a sub that shames most subs and just a few small things might make a better difference than adding another sub, and best of all these other adjustments can be transferred to your next upgrade as well.

Dan_Gtp

Grip
Actually Rob, I dont yet own a PW-2200. Still deciding all of the options. Sorry if I missworded my post.
I have definately thought about a DIY, and especially a Tempest based one since I've heard good things about it. I actually do have tools and experience, I have built a few sub enclosures for car audio. So I guess I'm kinda qualified, though I still worry about screwing this potential project up. I guess impatience is also a factor, working 54 hour weeks doesnt leave me with much time/energy. Though if it's worth it....
Looks like I will be spending some more time in the DIY section of the forum. I guess what I really want to see is confirmation of these projects outperforming these comercial offerings. I found Patrick Sun's page. He's made 3 different Sonotubes, with a fabulous write up and photo documention of the whole project. This is an excellent find for an upcoming DIY'er, but his results dont list much in the way of impressive SPL's. I think 107 is the highest he mentions. http://www.io.com/~patman/sunosub.html
Sorry, I guess I'm spoiled with car audio bass. I have a nice SQ setup in my car (gee guess which, by my user name) and I demo'd Jurassic Lunch again today and others, hitting 122db uncorrected on the Radio Shack SPL meter. I know I defiantely cant expect that in an HT setup.
Thanks for all the opinions guys, I'm gonna think on it some more, and read up in the DIY area. BTW Dustn, I read your Sonosub wrte-up, thats a great looking sub!
Dan

Robert_Gaither

Screenwriter
I'd advise downloading a copy of WinISD to help model future subs with various tuning and size (there was a link in the Advanced section about a month ago). If you already have the tools I'd definitely advise to build but if time is an issue then build a Sonosub if you can buy or make a circle jig you're looking 7-8 cuts (most likely two for top, two for base plate, and two for bottom with woofer cutout assuming sealed). Jasper circle jig is definitely the tool I'd suggest for both precision and speed.
Don't forget there are many woofer choices out there and check also Stryke, Blueprintdriver, Madisound, and Parts Express as well. You might be amazed at how much time you'll spend modelling a design or twenty :) .
If you don't mind twelves and using plate amps I do know that SpeakerCity has prebuilt cabinets for the Nht 1259 and a plate amp (with a choice of variety of veneers). If I remember correctly the SVS driver and Blueprintdrivers should fit this woofer cutout.
Also check out Accoustic Visions as this is a custom builder as well and you should be able to get a reasonable price hopefully from Kyle as well.
Good luck with whatever you decide on and sorry if I might of threw a few ideas and stirred the pot from maybe a few options to too many.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
papill6n
Recent bookmarks