What's new
Signup for GameFly to rent the newest 4k UHD movies!

DTS DVD recommendations (1 Viewer)

Calvin Watts III

Supporting Actor
Hi everyone !
I just upgraded from a DD 5.1 receiver to one that also offers DTS. :D
I would like some DTS disc recommendations to try out my new receiver. I don't have any DTS only discs, so if you know any good DTS discs that also have Dolby D 5.1 as well, let me know please ?
Thanks,
Calvin

Travis Olson

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Travis Olson
First and foremost you must get Saving Private Ryan DTS. It is THE reference DTS disc. Other good mixes include:
Apollo 13
The Shadow: It's not OAR :angry: but the mix is outstanding.
Jurassic Park (Re-Mix)
The Rock
Se7en
Titan A.E.
There are plenty more, obviously, but those are some of the best.

Clint B

Second Unit
I think that the "Cast Away" DVD has a great DTS-ES track. But for the ultimate (in my view anyway) DTS experience, you've got to get the DTS version of "Saving Private Ryan." While it doesn't have the DD version on it (a separate disc can be purchased for that), the DTS version is light years better than the DD version--there were times I felt like I was on the beach in Normandy watching that first scene!

I'm sure others will have more recommendations for you, but out of my small DVD collection, those two are the best.

Patrick McCart

Premium
Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Patrick McCart
013_ST2866.jpg

Also check out:
Cast Away (the quieter parts need the higher resolution to sound "quieter" if that's one way of putting it.)
Fantasia and Fantasia 2000 (Like being in a concert hall! Fantasia has some very subtle "low-fidelity" in a few parts, but is still one powerful track! Fantasia 2000's DTS is flawless)
Big Trouble In Little China (Again, flawless DTS 4.1 track. The score really packs a punch.)
O Brother Where Art Thou? (You can hear all these little subtle sounds like echoes and sounds that sound extremely realistic. Flawless.)
I'm pretty sure A.I.'s DTS is great, but I haven't had the time to watch it yet. I just got it today. :)

Randy B A

Supporting Actor
run to bestbuy and see if you can find dances with wolves dts dvd, it is out of print but they had gotten a few copies in at various stores.

ChrisR

Stunt Coordinator
Awww man!!! I didn't know there is a SPR DTS disc. I finally upgraded to dts about a month ago. So I probably didn't pay attention to that when it was released. That disc is sooooo mine. ;)

ChrisR

Stunt Coordinator
I almost forgot. Is Jurassic Park DTS only avalible in the three pack. I didn't know about that one either.

DanR

Supporting Actor
Saving Private Ryan

Gladiator

Jurassic Park (the re-pressing)

Also, I'm pretty sure this has come up before, so do a search, and it is sure to turn up a wealth of information.

-Dan

Gord Lacey

Senior HTF Member
Since you didn't say "movie" disc...

Blue Man Group - Audio

Do a search to find a thread raving about the release.

Gord

greg_t

Screenwriter
Chris R,

Jurassic park DTS is not included in the box set. the box set contains JP in DD, the lost world in DD, and JP3, which has both dd and dts tracks. You can pick up the original JP dts version at best buy.

ErikG

Senior HTF Member
Fast and the Furious
Saving Private Ryan
The Rock (Criterion)
U571
Die Hard (5-Star Collection)

Adam_S

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Adam_S
I recently got itno dts as well and I must say that my single best experience has been with The Eagles "Hell Freezes over" dvd, the DTS is simply amazing, the bonus audio only version of seven bridges road is still one of my favorite tracks.
other favorite dts mixes
Gladiator
Cast Away
O Brother Where art Thou
Die Hard 5*
And I've been told many times that
Jurassic Park
Saving Private Ryan
Apollo 13
all have excellent DTS tracks and tehy are very high on my to buy list (next enrollment at columbia house :))
Be careful though, this can be addicting, I spent several hours at ebay this week, watching my Dances with Wolves dts slip away as three separate bids were sniped away just beyond where I'd set a personal limit of no more than forty dollars. :P
Adam

Peter Overduin

Supporting Actor
Ditto "Blue Man Group." In this case, however, you will not only want DTS, but the very capable speakers needed to accurately project the pounding percussions, as well as the highs of the guitars. This is an outstanding disk.

Sean Moon

Senior HTF Member
All these responses and only one mention of the ultimate demo disc....U-571. The ultimate test disc in my opinion. The ultimate LFE tester is Haunting DTS though. best two DTS discs to kill a subwoofer with.

As for the Fantasia films...the DTS track on Fantasia is superior, but on Fantasia 2000 the Dolby track seemed to have more "body" to it. Sounded richer. Same with the Criterion Rock

DeanWalsh

Second Unit
Definitely The Haunting! I know the movie stinks but the soundtrack is absolutely incredible! Foundation threatening bass!

Some other great ones:

Gladiator

Planet Of The Apes (2001)

Fast & The Furious

Jurassic Park (remastered)

Lost World (JP3 sounds subdued compared to the first 2)

Titan AE

Rush Hour 2

Fifth Element superbit

The Bone Collector

Jeremy Anderson

Screenwriter
Two recent favorites of mine in DTS are UNBREAKABLE and THE LAST CASTLE. The former because it has some ungodly deep bass and a beautiful representation of the score, and the latter because of how enveloping it is during the prison riot scenes. I was also very impressed with the DTS track on ATLANTIS: THE LOST EMPIRE.

For sheer clarity and ambience, I second the earlier recommendation for O BROTHER WHERE ART THOU.

Sean Oneil

Supporting Actor
I'll second the vote on 'Atlantis' Collectors Edition (the standard edition does not have the DTS track)
Titan AE
U-571
The Haunting (DTS only edition)
Saving Private Ryan (DTS only edition)
Gladiator
Apollo 13 (DTS only edition)
Jurassic Park 1 (DTS only edition)(repressing)
The Lost World (DTS only edition)
Jurassic Park 3
Moulin Rouge
Those are a few of the better mixes :)

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
hilogisticz
Recent bookmarks