What's new

Blu-ray Review A Few Words About A few words about…™ Road to Hong Kong – in Blu-ray (1 Viewer)

Robert Harris

Archivist
Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert Harris
Between 1896 and 1982 (or so it seems), Bob Hope and Bing Crosby with a bit of help from Dorothy Lamour, made seven Road films --

Road to Singapore - 1940
Road to Zanzibar - 1941
Road to Morocco - 1942
Road to Utopia - 1945
Road to Rio - 1947
Road to Bali - 1952
The Road to Hong Kong - 1962

Strangely, Bali was in Technicolor, and Hong Kong returns to black and white.

All seven have been gifted to the cinephile community by Kino.

Hong Kong appears to be fine grain derived, with an overall pleasing image and good audio. Not a problem in sight.

One of the fun attributes of this final installment are the cameos. Look for...

Jerry Colonna, Dean Martin, David Niven, Pat O'Brien, Peter Sellers, Frank Sinatra all in bits.

A fun film and a great wrap-up to a fun series. Great light weight fluff that beautifully stands the test of time.

Image – 7

Audio – 8 (DTS-HD MA 2.0)

Pass / Fail – Pass

Works in projection - Yes

Works up-rezzed to 4k - Yes

Upgrade from DVD - Certainly - collect the whole set

Worth your attention - 7

Slipcover rating - n/a

Recommended

RAH

Thank you for supporting HTF when you preorder using the link below. As an Amazon Associate HTF earns from qualifying purchases. If you are using an adblocker you will not see link.

Last edited by a moderator:

B-ROLL

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Bryan
Olive (RIP) released this film -as well as some other movie fillums sans Der Bingle and Ms. Lamour.
1703913090496.png
1703913286733.png
Any idea how this new Kino release compares to that one?

rmw650

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Richard W
I remember as well, there was another Road special made with Danny Thomas as part of a variety show back in the day, the Road to Lebanon, so I would consider that an 8th movie of the franchise, even though it wasn't a movie, per se...

1703919155591.png

BobO'Link

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Howie
Olive (RIP) released this film -as well as some other movie fillums sans Der Bingle and Ms. Lamour.
View attachment 207990 View attachment 207991 Any idea how this new Kino release compares to that one?
No word on if it's a new transfer (likely not) but it *does* have:

Special Features:
• NEW Audio Commentary by Filmmaker/Historian Michael Schlesinger and Archivist/Historian Stan Taffel
• Theatrical Trailer
• Optional English Subtitles

The Olive is one of their typical bare bones releases. I own a copy of the Olive release but *will* be purchasing the Kino.

B-ROLL

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Bryan

Special Features:
• NEW Audio Commentary by Filmmaker/Historian Michael Schlesinger and Archivist/Historian Stan Taffel
• Theatrical Trailer

The Olive is one of their typical bare bones releases. I own a copy of the Olive release but *will* be purchasing the Kino.
Keeping up with all of the Road releases is leading me towards the Road to Ruin ...;)

Robert Harris

Archivist
Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert Harris

Special Features:
NEW Audio Commentary by Filmmaker/Historian Michael Schlesinger and Archivist/Historian Stan Taffel
• Theatrical Trailer

Alone worth the price of admission!

cadavra

Supporting Actor
Real Name
mike schlesinger
Thank you, kind sir.

Interesting anecdote: While rewatching it for the first time in eons of your Earth years to prepare, I was struck by how much it resembled the new movie I just shot this year, ROCK AND DORIS (try to) WRITE A MOVIE. The gag cameos, the pop culture references, the constant breaking of the fourth wall, filmed in the same year--it's almost like they were made by the same person. Whether that's a compliment or not shall best be left to others.

Robert Harris

Archivist
Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert Harris
Thank you, kind sir.

Interesting anecdote: While rewatching it for the first time in eons of your Earth years to prepare, I was struck by how much it resembled the new movie I just shot this year, ROCK AND DORIS (try to) WRITE A MOVIE. The gag cameos, the pop culture references, the constant breaking of the fourth wall, filmed in the same year--it's almost like they were made by the same person. Whether that's a compliment or not shall best be left to others.
Wasn’t breaking the fourth wall a standard for them? Best is probably Tom Jones.

GJF118

Auditioning
Real Name
George Fogel

Special Features:
• Theatrical Trailer

Michael Schlesinger's commentary is always on point and very funny.

filmnoirguy

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Lon Cross
Between 1896 and 1982 (or so it seems), Bob Hope and Bing Crosby with a bit of help from Dorothy Lamour, made seven Road films --

Road to Singapore - 1940
Road to Zanzibar - 1941
Road to Morocco - 1942
Road to Utopia - 1945
Road to Rio - 1947
Road to Bali - 1952
The Road to Hong Kong - 1962

Strangely, Bali was in Technicolor, and Hong Kong returns to black and white.

All seven have been gifted to the cinephile community by Kino.

Hong Kong appears to be fine grain derived, with an overall pleasing image and good audio. Not a problem in sight.

One of the fun attributes of this final installment are the cameos. Look for...

Jerry Colonna, Dean Martin, David Niven, Pat O'Brien, Peter Sellers, Frank Sinatra all in bits.

A fun film and a great wrap-up to a fun series. Great light weight fluff that beautifully stands the test of time.

Image – 7

Audio – 8 (DTS-HD MA 2.0)

Pass / Fail – Pass

Works in projection - Yes

Works up-rezzed to 4k - Yes

Upgrade from DVD - Certainly - collect the whole set

Worth your attention - 7

Slipcover rating - n/a

Recommended

RAH

Thank you for supporting HTF when you preorder using the link below. As an Amazon Associate HTF earns from qualifying purchases. If you are using an adblocker you will not see link.

I've seen them all. My favorite is Road to Utopia.

cadavra

Supporting Actor
Real Name
mike schlesinger
Wasn’t breaking the fourth wall a standard for them? Best is probably Tom Jones.

Oh, for everyone! Groucho, Oliver Hardy, W.C. Fields, George Burns, Olsen and Johnson, the Bowery Boys, Bugs Bunny, ad infinitum. I love doing it because it invites the audience to become co-conspirators in the zaniness.

cinefan

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Stephen
Oh, for everyone! Groucho, Oliver Hardy, W.C. Fields, George Burns, Olsen and Johnson, the Bowery Boys, Bugs Bunny, ad infinitum. I love doing it because it invites the audience to become co-conspirators in the zaniness.
Some of Groucho's stuff that lives permanently and most prominently in my brain is of this flavor. Probably because he was talking directly to me!

There's no reason you folks can't go to the lobby until this thing blows over...

Pardon me while I have a strange interlude...

B-ROLL

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Bryan
Some of Groucho's stuff that lives permanently and most prominently in my brain is of this flavor. Probably because he was talking directly to me!

There's no reason you folks can't go to the lobby until this thing blows over...

Pardon me while I have a strange interlude...
Just remember to say the
1704596781081.png
Secret Word ;) ...

cadavra

Supporting Actor
Real Name
mike schlesinger
One of my all-time favorites is in BOWERY BATTALION. The film ends with the Bowery Boys being locked in the brig, and their sergeant (Donald MacBride) turns to the camera and snarks, "This is the greatest finish of any picture I've ever seen."

rmw650

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Richard W
One of my all-time favorites is in BOWERY BATTALION. The film ends with the Bowery Boys being locked in the brig, and their sergeant (Donald MacBride) turns to the camera and snarks, "This is the greatest finish of any picture I've ever seen."
With his trademarked reply..."Jumping Butterballs!" (From Room Service c. 1935)

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nielmb
Recent bookmarks