What's new

DTS DVD recommendations (1 Viewer)

John Berggren

Senior HTF Member
Oddly I never see it mentioned in these threads, but I was quite impressed by the DTS mix on Atlantis: The Lost Empire CE.

Calvin Watts III

Supporting Actor
Thanks everyone...
I should have stated that I was looking for something with DD as well just so I could see if it was already in my collection. (just wanted to try it out,ya know?) :D
Anyways, I knew about some of the recommendations, like Saving Private Ryan & Jurassic Park,to name a few.
The difference is that much better?
I have both with Dolby...I'll have to choose one to try.
Hmmm...
Thanks for some of the tips...I'll be sure to take a look at some of them.
BTW...I own Gladiator....I put it in....
and in a word...
Wow.
I am happy! :D
Thanks,
Calvin

Alan Wild

Stunt Coordinator
Not enough votes for the "Eagles: Hell Freezes Over", yet.
I paid $15 for this disc and if the only thing I ever play on it again is the "Seven Birdges Road" 5.1 track I would still think it's money well spent.
Maybe it doesn't present some of the fidelty of SACD or DVD-A but it's a really cool 5.1 music track.
I alos love the DTS:ES on Gladiator.
Heck, I buy DVD's just for their DTS tracks. Get them all, I am. :)
-Alan

Jefe Noche

Stunt Coordinator
Some of the "Superbit" releases have great DTS tracks:

Desperado

Bram Stoker's Dracula

The Fifth Element

Air Force One (reference quality IMO)

Some that haven't been mentioned yet:

T2: Judgement Day

Tombstone (Vista Series)

The Thin Red Line

Almost Famous

Dinosaur (reference video as well)

Adam_S

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Adam_S
I mentioned it in my other post but:

Eagles: Hell Freezes Over" I paid $15 for this disc and if the only thing I ever play on it again is the "Seven Birdges Road" 5.1 track I would still think it's money well spent.

I have to agree, this is the only title that has never left my dvd player since I put it in (I have a five disc changer) I was barely aware of the Eagles before I bought it (knew my parents loved them and garth brooks redid one of their songs), I've since become a huge fan an listen to hotel california nearly every day. A fantastic release with awesome DTS

I also really love teh DTS in O Brother where art thou? I was surprised that I could easily hear that the mix was much better, I don't know what technical term for this is but it soudns very clean, clear, and very natural, one of the more enjoying mixes that won't rupruter your ear drums like gladiator will (I too was very happy after puttin on gladiatro dts for the first time, it made me a dts believer).

Adam

Jay Villero

Agent
Does anyone have Steely Dan's: Two Against Nature (DTS)? Was interested in picking that up, but haven't heard much about it.

SteveA

Supporting Actor
Chalk up another vote for Hell Freezes Over - a MUST have for any DTS enthusiast.

Dave H

Senior HTF Member
Whats the best source for buying DTS dvds?
The same source where you buy Dolby Digital DVDs most likely. It really depends. New DTS releases are often cheapest at B&M stores. www.dvdpricesearch.com may help, also.
Here are some of my DTS releases that I like:
Saving Private Ryan (probably the best sounding)
Gladiator
Dracula - Superbit
Twister SE
Jurrasic Park I (repressed version) & III
Terminator II
Castaway
Tombstone (Vista)

Jeffrey R

Stunt Coordinator
Whats the best source for buying DTS dvds?
I find a good resource for DTS DVD's is on Amazon. If you go into the DVD store, and click on "Build Your Collection", one of the categories under "Fully Loaded DVDs" is "DTS DVDs". This lists all of their DVDs that have DTS soundtracks, ranked in order of sales I would assume. Anyway, it's a good resource to browse to see what's out there and what you may be missing.

Lou_Toth

Auditioning
I just got Saving Private Ryan DTS version, and I don't know if it's just me or what, but it sounds much better that the DD version.

PS Nystrom

Second Unit
A few I don't think have been mentioned:

Daredevil

Minority Report

Pitch Black

Emperor's New Groove

Have fun, Pieter

KyleC

Supporting Actor
I'm surprised no one has mentioned Band of Brothers yet. It has an amazing DTS track. Not quite as good as Prvt Ryan but damn close.

Also, I have Moulin Rouge. Just be careful the DTS track is badly out of sync in spots. So is Robin Hood Prince of Thieves but not nearly as bad as Moulin. In fact for Robin Hood I didn't even notice it until more than 1/2 way through.

Scott Burke

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Scott B.
How's the Boxer DTS, I just ordered it. I have had the DD version for years, but have always wanted the DTS version. I hope it's an improvement.

Harminder

Second Unit
Real Name
Harminder
Some recommendations:

Terminator 2: Judgment Day - Ultimate Edition (If you can still find it)

Resident Evil (Superbit)

Lord of the Rings: Fellowship of the Ring and The Two Towers - Extended Editions

Tombstone (Vista Series)

X2: X-Men United

Terminator 3: Rise of the Machines (Region 3)

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation111
Recent bookmarks