What's new

Doors before/after drywall (1 Viewer)

RonnieT

Stunt Coordinator
This may sound like a stupid question for all you experts out there but for me, I have to ask. :b I am just about on the drywall stage and need to know whether I need to install my prehung doors (those kits sold at home depot with door and frame) before the drywall goes up. Can they be installed after the drywall is finished? I ask because, well my cash flow really isn't flowing that much any more and I'd have to wait to purchase drywall if I purchase the doors. If I get drywall first, then the room can be at least operational. :) And i'll have much more to do (mudding,sanding,etc.) with drywall and give me time to save more money.
The places where doors will need to be installed will have unfinished space on the other side i.e. I will be able to see the framing/insullation.

Robt_Moore

Stunt Coordinator
Put the drywall up first. Then hang the doors. It is easier to do it this way, especially if use use some temporary pieces of 1x than span the width of the backside of the door to help you keep it in the rough opening. Just make sure the thickness of the wall is the same as the width of the door jamb (2X4 + 2 pieces of 1/2 in drywall is = 4 1/2 inches. Standard jamb is 4 9/16 in.)

Bob

Rich Sk

Grip
Good luck with the drywall. I'm doing that in my theater right now. FYI, a friend of mine gave me some advice on doors which I have not tried, but it sounds interesting.

I've hung a couple of pre-hung doors from Home Depot, and have spent the better part of a day hanging each one. Hanging doors is not a skill I have developed yet. A friend of mine told me that I should buy my doors from a lumber yard, and to buy prehung doors that already have trim attached to one side of the door jamb. I haven't tried this, but he says that using the trim piece to help anchor the door while you work down the hinge side of the jamb and then down the other side makes hanging doors a breeze.

Jay Mitchosky

Senior HTF Member
Watching my new house being built and it's definitely drywall first. Once the door casing and frame are in place it is recommended you fill the gap between them with spray-in insulation to minimize sound transmission.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Feetman
Recent bookmarks