What's new

Dolby Atmos in-ceiling speakers (1 Viewer)

Ashton

Auditioning
Real Name
Ashton
Hello,

Can you please help me decide which speakers I should choose?

I have been trying to identify good in-ceiling speakers that aren't terribly expensive for a Dolby Atmos setup. I have a 5 prewired plates. I think I might buy the Denon AVRX1400H for my receiver (open to suggestions).

I did some research and came up with the speaker options below. Would you all please let me know which you think are a better choice?

Thank you!

Yamaha NSIC800WH - https://usa.yamaha.com/products/audio_visual/speaker_systems/ns-ic800/specs.html#product-tabs

Polk Audio MC80 - https://www.polkaudio.com/products/mc80

C34E IN-CEILING SPEAKER - https://rslspeakers.com/products/c34e-edgeless-in-ceiling-speaker/

Klipsch R-2650-C II - https://www.klipsch.com/products/reference-in-ceiling-speakers?model=r-2650-c-ii

Ashton

Auditioning
Real Name
Ashton
pre-wired picture attached.

Attachments

• IMG_1054.JPG
    IMG_1054.JPG
    12.4 KB · Views: 273

JohnRice

Bounded In a Nutshell
Premium
Ambassador
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
John
That photo is so tiny, I can't tell what it is.

The RSLs really interest me. I have been seriously considering them myself.

Ashton

Auditioning
Real Name
Ashton
Thanks for the feedback. The picture is of the wall and pre-wired ceiling mounts. I'm debating on adding an additional speaker in the wall.
Any ideas on a sub or receiver?

Best Buy was recommending Dynamo 500 subwoofer and Denon AVRX1400H receiver

Attachments

• IMG_1054 (1).JPG
    IMG_1054 (1).JPG
    51.1 KB · Views: 588

JohnRice

Bounded In a Nutshell
Premium
Ambassador
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
John
You really should describe the speaker setup in order to get better suggestions.

Ashton

Auditioning
Real Name
Ashton
5 in-ceiling speakers, 3 in the front as you see in the picture and 2 in the back of the room. All pre-wired.
I want to have an atmos setup.
New to home theater, any other information I can provide?

JohnRice

Bounded In a Nutshell
Premium
Ambassador
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
John
My main suggestion is never to use in-ceiling speakers for the front, as in the left/center/right. They're ok for surround, but only ok, and they're ideal for Atmos/DTS:X, but never for the front channels. Those should be on stands or shelves, or you can do in-wall if you insist, but never ever in the ceiling.

George_W_K

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
George
To further what John said, in order to take full advantage of Atmos or DTS:X you need a base layer AND a height layer. If all are in the ceiling, you really aren't getting the intended effect. I agree 100% you want at the very least the front 3 channels down low, not in the ceiling.

What is the layout of the room? Where's the seating, the display, etc.? And where are the speaker plates in relation to that?

I have the RSLs in my setup. I really like them. I haven't heard your other choices to compare.

What is your budget for the subwoofer?

Ashton

Auditioning
Real Name
Ashton
I attached a picture of the room with the ceiling pre-wired plates circled in red.
Subwoofer budget, 6 max I'm guessing.

Attachments

• IMG_1056.jpg
    IMG_1056.jpg
    58.7 KB · Views: 290

JohnRice

Bounded In a Nutshell
Premium
Ambassador
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
John
I would set it up to add three front speakers, left, right and center. On the wall, not in the ceiling. Then you can use the ceiling connections on the other side of the room for rear surrounds, and have the option to add front height, in ceiling (Atmos/DTS:X) speakers using the two outside connections you have in the ceiling above the TV. The center connection in the ceiling above the TV just won't be used.

That's still not an ideal setup, but it's probably the best use of the wiring you have installed.

John Sparks

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
John Sparks
Hello,

Can you please help me decide which speakers I should choose?

I have been trying to identify good in-ceiling speakers that aren't terribly expensive for a Dolby Atmos setup. I have a 5 prewired plates. I think I might buy the Denon AVRX1400H for my receiver (open to suggestions).

I did some research and came up with the speaker options below. Would you all please let me know which you think are a better choice?

Thank you!

Yamaha NSIC800WH - https://usa.yamaha.com/products/audio_visual/speaker_systems/ns-ic800/specs.html#product-tabs

Polk Audio MC80 - https://www.polkaudio.com/products/mc80

C34E IN-CEILING SPEAKER - https://rslspeakers.com/products/c34e-edgeless-in-ceiling-speaker/

Klipsch R-2650-C II - https://www.klipsch.com/products/reference-in-ceiling-speakers?model=r-2650-c-ii

I'm using 4 Polk's V60s for my in-ceiling speakers. Cost less than $100 each from Amazon and work excellent for me.

cstegall

Auditioning
Real Name
Cary Stegall
My experience with the Atmos height speakers is that it's a really subtle effect. I would not sweat the ceiling speakers so much. If you can buy them as the same brand as your front/center/right, that's probably a step in the right direction. Personally, I would dedicate more money to your receiver, you're going to have it along time. Denon is fine, but I'd consider the 2400, 2500 or 3400 - they're all about the same price.

Sam Posten

Premium
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Sam Posten
My experience with the Atmos height speakers is that it's a really subtle effect. I would not sweat the ceiling speakers so much. If you can buy them as the same brand as your front/center/right, that's probably a step in the right direction. Personally, I would dedicate more money to your receiver, you're going to have it along time. Denon is fine, but I'd consider the 2400, 2500 or 3400 - they're all about the same price.

Have you actually heard in ceiling speakers or are you basing your experience on bounce?

In ceiling atmos speakers are NOT subtle. If you still believe this to be the case after seeing Bladerunner 2049, War for the Planet of the Apes and Mad Max, your theater is not set up right.

Bounce speakers ARE subtle.

Agreed on Denon. They have Atmos done right.

cstegall

Auditioning
Real Name
Cary Stegall
Yes, I'm using the SVS Prime Elevation speakers - only two of them, but placed directly in line with the front speakers. That's probably not the 100% best setup, but it's certainly enough to test with. Mad Max does have an effective mix for tops. I've been meaning to re-watch Bladerunner with this setup, so I'll try to find time this week. Still, I would describe the height layer as subtle. It's definitely the least change I've gotten at home from adding speakers. YMMV.

JohnRice

Bounded In a Nutshell
Premium
Ambassador
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
John
You responded "Yes" to Sam's question, then clearly described what are NOT in-ceiling speakers. What you describe is not what Sam is describing, so the result will not be the same.

Sam Posten

Premium
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Sam Posten
Yeah, wall mounted height speakers aren't true atmos either. I really don't like harshing on other people's setups @cstegall but what you are describing isn't Atmos at its best. You really do need 4 speakers to hear the object based sounds move around in 3d space. I have 2 bounce setups in my house and the effect is neat but subtle. With the full 4 up top you can pinpoint where in the room sounds are positioned.

Try a full 7.1.4 with the speakers ceiling mounted or in ceiling, it's way better, then make your call on whether Atmos is the real deal

https://www.svsound.com/products/prime-elevation

John Dirk

Premium
Ambassador
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
JOHN
Try a full 7.1.4 with the speakers ceiling mounted or in ceiling, it's way better, then make your call on whether Atmos is the real deal

I also have the SVS Prime Elevations, six of them! I originally did this to avoid the cabling and drywall work it would take to get ceiling speakers in my room. Now I wish I had done it differently. You [and John Rice] are about to encourage me to spend some serious cash because I ultimately want an optimal Atmos environment. If my wife disapproves I may need a temporary space on one of your sofas! :)

Sam Posten

Premium
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Sam Posten
If my wife disapproves I may need a temporary space on one of your sofas! :)

Again, I don't intend to cause folks who are happy with their setup to second guess themselves, John. The difference is that Cary accurately describes what bounce or height speakers sound like with Atmos. It's a dispersed effect. It's not unpleasant but it is soooo much better with four direct radiators. I can literally walk 2 floors and be amazed at how different the effect is from one setup to another. Definitely encourage you to experience it for yourself before you spend big bucks to get wires behind walls, but I am confident you will not be disappointed with the results.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
papill6n
Recent bookmarks