What's new

Do NOT list Globe winners in THREAD TITLES (1 Viewer)

Tino

Taken As Ballast
Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Valentino
Best Actress Sissy Spacek. No surprise there, although I did pick Halle Berry.

Adam_S

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Adam_S
I've just come in (was at work) could someone please post a list of winners so I can catch up?

thanks

Adam

Seth Paxton

Senior HTF Member
Moulin Rouge was being talked about as a longshot 2 months ago. Welcome to front runner status now.
Seriously, as much as Memento is a letdown (being left out I mean), I think MR being "let in" is just as much a triumph. MR and FOTR are almost party crashers based on the outlook from October. I big part of winning is getting the momentum build-up. You have to think the DVD for MR must have helped at least a little. Good job, Peter. :)
and another one right...Spacek.

Seth Paxton

Senior HTF Member
Adam, go to page one of the thread and look at my list. Winners are in BOLD.

Sting won the song award which I got wrong.

Also, I missed screenplay. Akiva got it for A Beautiful Mind.

Ryan Peter

Screenwriter
Big upset with Amelie, or is it? The Foreign press definitely has a different perspective on foreign films than we do.

Seth Paxton

Senior HTF Member
Well, I eat my words on Denzel. I thought he had total momentum in this catagory.

Tino, you were a bit off in how much momentum it had (regarding Howard), but the Crowe win is big.

But will the Oscars be willing to award him back to back like they did Hanks.

Tino

Taken As Ballast
Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Valentino
Best Motion Picture Drama:
A Beautiful Mind which is now the official frontrunner for the Oscars.
FOTR gets shut out as I predicted.

Adam_S

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Adam_S
Well the positive side is that the academy may feel sorry for LOTR now...

Matt Stone

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Matt Stone
I disagree that this will help LotR at the Oscars...I bet A Beautiful Mind will ride the wave, and sweep most at the Oscars...which kinda pisses me off. I still think FotR is the best movie (Well, maybe second next to Memento) of the year...but my vote never mattered before, so why should it matter now.

Seth Paxton

Senior HTF Member
Tino gets it. ABM still has the main push. I thought it was a shoe in before I saw it, but afterward I was slightly let down. I liked it but didn't love it. Plus it has seemed that FOTR was building momentum lately.

And that being said, there was a big crowd swell for 2 films when listed...ABM and FOTR. I honestly think FOTR is still closely in the fight.

At this point I would say I see the Oscar noms as

ABM

FOTR

MR

In the Bedroom

Mulholland Drive

Travis D

Second Unit
Am I the only one here who feels that A Beautiful Mind was a "good" film, but not a "great" film. It somehow makes me feel that there HAS to be a more deserving movie out there this year.
EDIT - Apparently I am not.

Matt Stone

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Matt Stone
I agree, but I think that ABM will win BP, and leave FotR out in the dust only to take the technicals. Also, this'll hurt FotR's box office take...or at least it won't help it. You're not going to see any "Best Picture" adds for it so...hmm, I'm miffed. This is just like last year when Gladiator beat out Traffic.

I'm tellin you...I should stop watching these things.

Terrell

Senior HTF Member
You may want to spoilerize that. However, to answer your question, I thought it was a brilliant film. I thought it was the best film I saw last year.:)

Doug R

Supporting Actor
No Travis, I agree with you. A Beautiful Mind has great acting, great direction but I don't feel it does anything that hasn't been done before. But that's just me, I gear things more toward originality. I was disappointed to see ABM win so much (besides acting awards) and feel I'll be doing the same thing come oscar time.

Terrell

Senior HTF Member
Shouldn't you guys be careful not to spoil the show for West Coast viewers? I thought no winners were supposed to be posted. Oh well.

As for awards, I think they should be based on the quality of the film, not originality. There isn't much originality in Hollywood today. But you guys shouldn't take these so seriously. They're just someone else's opinion.

Marvin Richardson

Supporting Actor
A Beautiful Mind over The Lord of the Rings: The Fellowship of the Ring? Not hardly. The only movies I saw this year that were better than LotR were Memento and Mulholland Drive. I guess they just couldn't bring themselves to vote for a fantasy film as Best Picture. And Sting wins best song? Uh-huh. Right. Oh well, like Matt said, my vote never counted before...

Still, I'm glad LotR made as much money as it has, as the next parts won't be in danger of having their budgets cut. It still could end up doing well in the coming weeks, because I really don't see Black Hawk Down doing a lot of repeat business. It was a great, great movie, but not exactly something I want to see over and over again. Very rough movie. But, maybe that's just me.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nielmb
Recent bookmarks