What's new

Do NOT list Globe winners in THREAD TITLES (1 Viewer)

Scott Weinberg

Senior HTF Member
SPOILER POST:
Am I on crack, or am I watching a show that just gave awards to Charlie Sheen
AND Kiefer Sutherland
?!?!??!?!
:laugh::laugh:

Seth Paxton

Senior HTF Member
Scott, this is the spoiler thread so no need for black bars.
And, yes, it was one of the more bizarre moments. All we were missing was Emilio. :)
BTW, I guess my Broadbent feeling was on target. Too bad I flipped back to Kingsley. Part of my vibe was the same thing I mentioned about Kidman. Having 2 good films seems to gather momentum for an actor, especially when they don't compete in the same category.
This could carry over to the Oscars, like if Kidman gets nominated for either Others or MR, but not both. Same for Broadbent who is riding the Iris wave into the awards season.

Seth Paxton

Senior HTF Member
Hmmm, no one else is here I guess??
Well, I'm on fire so far. 3 and a half of 4 (I had Broadbent typed in and then flopped back to Kingsley :)).
Tino 2 for 4.
S. Actress - Connelly (both got)
S. Actor - Broadbent (both missed)
Actress MC - Kidman (both got)
Actor MC - Hackman (tino missed)

Seth Paxton

Senior HTF Member
Now let's talk about bizarre.
Akiva is getting the screenplay award. :rolleyes
I give in to Tino now, ABM does seem to be back in control if it wins this award. I noticed the crowd cheered much more when Akiva's nomination was named and barely reacted to Nolan's name. Always a bad sign (or good for ABM). :)

Tino

Taken As Ballast
Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Valentino
Akiva and Connelly...looking better and better for ABM sweep.

Tom Ryan

Screenwriter
I can't believe Goldsman won. The screenplay for Memento was one of the most original and thought-provoking ever written, and yet he gets the award for writing sentimental claptrap (I enjoyed ABM, but I'm steamed that my favorite film of the year lost).

-Tom

Llappin

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Leila
My sentiment exactly! I’m glad I don’t take these awards too seriously, it’s all politics!!

Seth Paxton

Senior HTF Member
But see, it's not politics. As I mentioned THE CROWD of stars cheered much more for Akiva's nomination. Clearly ABM has built a following at this point.

Maybe Memento is getting forgotten but it just doesn't have the current popularity. I think it should be listed up and down the nominations, but it's not POLITICS keeping it down, it's just what is currently "hot" in Hollywood.

BTW, Tino, I think Moulin Rouge is building it's own momentum to battle ABM. I was wondering if it could get an Oscar nomination, but I feel certain it will now.

ABM, MR, FOTR (I think) seem like 3 of the Oscar nom locks at this point.

MR is going to get Song along with Score, and then probably Best Pix CM. That's a LOT of momentum.

Still, is Howard REALLY going to beat out that field? Starting to amazingly feel like he will.

Seth Paxton

Senior HTF Member
MR is going to get Song along with Score,
Wrong! Shows what I know I guess. Considering Hollywood's love of older rock stars I think Sting and McCartney (just think Dylan last year) are looking good going into the Oscars as well, although I can't help but think that Come What May still has a chance to win the Oscar.

Seth Paxton

Senior HTF Member
Oh yeah. I forgot. It was written and used with Romeo and Juliet I believe which disqualifies it.

Sting rolls on then I guess, or maybe Paul will make a comeback.

Llappin

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Leila
Okay if it’s not the politics then it’s a popularity contest. It still isn’t quality that wins. That's why Sting wins the best original score rather than Enya’s "Let it be" for LOTR. All I can say after two glasses of wine is "what a joke these Hollywood awards are". I think I’m going to bed!

Seth Paxton

Senior HTF Member
I picked him. I think he is getting credit on the ensemble cast front. AFI and Golden Globes, here comes Oscar.

Seriously, listening to the crowd responses on each nominee you could tell that it is wide open in the director catagory in terms of popularity, therefore Altman is able to step ahead on rep and the nature of the work (ensemble cast).

I have no problem with it although I have yet to see the film. From what I hear it's a great effort.

Some years may run true to form, but the truth in this year is that it's going to be DIVERSE.

Just wait till Denzel wins best actor and you'll see how crazy it is.

Tino

Taken As Ballast
Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Valentino
Altman. A very well directed film and sorta makes sense since it was such a well directed ensemble film, but best?

Tino

Taken As Ballast
Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Valentino
YES! Moulin Rouge for Best Picture-Musical. Excellent!:)

Patrick Sun

Senior HTF Member
I'm very glad that Jennifer Connelly got recognized for good work for her GG win in the Best Supporting Actress category in a drama.

So, will be people say that Peter Jackson got jobbed at the GGs for not winning for Best Director (Altman got the nod)?

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Larsenv
Recent bookmarks