Do NOT list Globe winners in THREAD TITLES

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Edwin Pereyra, Jan 18, 2002.

1. Edwin Pereyra

Edwin Pereyra Producer

In order to avoid another fiasco like last year, it should be noted that The Golden Globe ceremonies will be live on the East coast but tape delay everywhere else.

However, this should not prevent those who are able to watch it early from discussing the results or awards given. This might as well be the thread to talk about the awards show on Sunday night.

Just remember, if you go into this thread during its broadcast on Sunday night around 8 p.m. eastern you might find out who the winners are before it actually airs in your area.

So stay away if you don't want to be spoiled on who the winners are on Sunday night.

~Edwin

2. Paul Chi

Paul Chi Stunt Coordinator

I am pretty excitied to watch the Golden Globes this sunday. Its funny to see celebrities act goofy.

3. Ryan Peter

Ryan Peter Screenwriter

what was the fiasco last year?

4. Edwin Pereyra

Edwin Pereyra Producer

5. Tino

Tino Lead Actor
    Supporter

Valentino
    OK, here are some predictions:
    Best Motion Picture-Drama
    A Beautiful Mind
    Best Motion Picture-Comedy or Musical
    Moulin Rouge
    Best Director
    Ron Howard
    Best Actor-Drama
    Russel Crowe
    Best Actress-Drama
    Halle Berry
    Best Actor-Comedy or Musical
    Ewan McGregor
    Best Actress-Musical or Comedy
    Nicole Kidman
    Best Supporting Actor
    Ben Kingsley
    Best Supporting Actress
    Jennifer Connelly
    Best Foreign Film
    Amelie
    Pretty much a sweep for A Beautiful Mind making it the front runner at the Oscars. I think FOTR will be shut out of the major awards.
    I enjoy the Globes almost as much as the Oscars. It can get pretty zany with all that food and liquor going around.[​IMG]

6. Patrick Sun

Patrick Sun Moderator

Tino, are you just trying to piss off Edwin? [​IMG]

7. Brook K

Brook K Lead Actor

Won't happen in a million years but John Cameron Mitchell deserves to win best actor - musical or comedy.

8. TerryRL

TerryRL Producer

Solid predictions.

I do think it'll be a really close race between "A Beautiful Mind" and LOTR for Best Picture- Drama. I also think the Best Actress catagory is a tossup between Berry and Sissy Spacek.

9. Edwin Pereyra

Edwin Pereyra Producer

Of course, the Hollywood Foreign Press (HFP) omitted Tom Wilkinson and Black Hawk Down as their nominees.

10. Thi Them

Thi Them Producer

I predict LOTR will win for best drama and Moulin Rouge for best comedy/musical. For the past two years, I've been right with my predictions in those two categories.

~T

11. Seth Paxton

Seth Paxton Lead Actor

Just to make sure it gets read, I'm going to start a thread titled "Do NOT list Globe winners in THREAD TITLES" just to make sure it gets seen by people who might not read this thread when they come here tonight to say
    "Can you believe XXX won!" as a thread title. [​IMG]

12. Seth Paxton

Seth Paxton Lead Actor

The title says it all. Discussion on this can go in Edwin's thread which he has designated as the EAST COAST/SPOILERS thread. West Coasters might want to have their own thread to avoid getting spoiled.

This thread is only to have my title listed where a non-thread reader will see it before they start their own thread (in case they don't read Edwin's thread). I will bump it later tonight to keep it visible for the awards and then let it die.

Edit - Edwin's thread and my thread are now JOINED, so discussion does go here.

13. Seth Paxton

Seth Paxton Lead Actor

Yeah, the Globes have a goofiness to them (remember Liz last year [​IMG] everyone was "wtf" on her behavior).
    Tino, I'm starting to get the feel that Beautiful Mind might not be the award monster I thought it was going to be earlier. I sense a strong comeback from FOTR much to my surprise.
    I also think Moulin Rouge is getting more award respect than I first thought it would.
    And if there was ever a year for the Globes and Oscars to not match up, this is the year.
    I love the awards though, at least the good ones.

14. TerryRL

TerryRL Producer

Here's something to think about...
    Since 1980, only 5 times has the Oscar NOT gone to the winner of either the Best Picture- Drama or the Best Picture- Musical or Comedy Golden Globe. 1981, 1982, 1991, 1992, and 1995. So the winner of Best Picture tonight will definitely be the odds on favorite to snag the Oscar in March.
    In '81 the Globe winners were "On Golden Pond" (Drama) and "Pennies from Heaven" (Musical or Comedy), while the Oscar went to "Chariots of Fire".
    In '82 the Globe winners were "E.T." (Drama) and "Tootsie" (Musical or Comedy), while the Oscar went to the Globe winner for Best Foreign Film, "Gandhi".
    In '91 the Globe winners were "Bugsy" (Drama) and "Beauty and the Beast" (Musical or Comedy), while the Oscar went to "The Silence of the Lambs".
    In '92 the Globe winners were "Scent of a Woman" (Drama) and "The Player" (Musical or Comedy), while the Oscar went to "Unforgiven".
    In '95 the Globe winners were "Sense and Sensibility" (Drama) and "Babe" (Musical or Comedy), while the Oscar went to "Braveheart".
    I think the winner of tonight's Drama Globe will go on to win the Oscar for Best Picture. As far as I'm concerned, it's a two-movie race for the Oscar between "A Beautiful Mind" and LOTR, with "Black Hawk Down" playing the Oscar spoiler.
    Still, I just don't see the Acadamy giving Jerry Bruckheimer an Oscar.

15. Sam Davatchi

Sam Davatchi Producer

OK! But FOTR is going to win the best D picture and Robert Altman the best director! [​IMG]

16. Josh_Hill

Josh_Hill Screenwriter

FOTR is gonna win! YEAH YEAH!!!

17. Tino

Tino Lead Actor
    Supporter

Valentino
    Although I wouldn't mind FOTR winning, I predict A Beautiful Mind will beat out FOTR for Best Picture and Director.

18. Seth Paxton

Seth Paxton Lead Actor

Hey, good job there Robert (I assume), you joined these just as I was posting to Edwin's to get it back to the top so the DISCUSSION would go there.
    This is better since it has my title but Edwin's discussion.
    Thanks. [​IMG]

19. Robert Crawford

Robert Crawford Moderator

Robert
    Damn, can't get away with nothing around here![​IMG] By the way, this thread is a sticky until tomorrow afternoon.
    Crawdaddy

20. Seth Paxton

Seth Paxton Lead Actor

Okay, my guesses. (Edit - I'm bolding what I got right)
    Best Pix - FOTR (I think the international appeal might help here).
    Best Comedy/Musical - Moulin Rouge
    Actor - Denzel (I haven't seen training day, but this feel like the vibe to me)
    Actor CM - Hackman (But Ewan in MR seems like a close one here)
    Actress - Spacek (Berry for MBall seems like the close 2nd)
    Actress CM - Kidman (It helps having 2 films with recognition, I think voters don't split votes as much as combine them actually)
    S. Actor - Kingsley (Broadbent (edit - semi-right) and Buscemi seem close here though...I actually have flipped between Broadbent and Kingsley)
    S. Actress - Connelly (sadly, the only performance I've seen at this point)
    Director - Altman (Lynch and Jackson nipping at his heels though)
    Screenplay - Memento (everybody is using this as the "sorry about the dis" makeup award...too bad they just didn't give the film something major instead).
    Song - Come What May
    Score - MR and FOTR are too close to call to me
    Foreign Film - Amelie
    These aren't necessarily MY choices or what I think deserves the award. It's just what I think THEY will pick. We shall see.