What's new

Do I need new speakers? (1 Viewer)

Ted Pugh

Stunt Coordinator
Hello everyone. I am in the process of purchasing a Lexicon MC8 pre/pro and was wondering if spending all this money for a pre/pro was worth it with the speakers I currently own. The speakers, which I love, are Definitive Technology BP2002TL's with the built in powered woofers, the Def. Tech CLR 3000 center with built in powered woofer and the Def. Tech BPVX side surrounds and rears. I am looking at speakers and so far I like my speakers as well as if not better than anything in there price range which would be around $5200. I like the sound of the Paradigm Ref. 100 but in my opinion it is not better than the Def. Tech's. What speakers are out there around this price point or slightly higher or do I even have to upgrade. I watch 95%movies to 5%music. Any thoughts?

Ted

Chris Quinn

Screenwriter
I don't think you need to upgrade if you love your speakers. I don't know what your present front end is but I think you will be pleased with the improvement in sound with the new pre/pro. I'm not familiar with Def Techs but I'm of the opinion that many people upgrade speakers when upgrading their front end would have more impact. Many upgrade the speakers when they haven't yet reached the potential of the speakers they already own by improving the front end. I think a lot of it has to do with speaker shopping is easier and new speakers are sexier than a new amp. People readily notice beautiful new speakers but not that there is a different black box in a stereo rack(audiophiles excluded).

Anyway try them together for a while and see what you think.

Ted Pugh

Stunt Coordinator
Thanks Chris,

I do love the sound coming from my Def Techs. Like I said I watch movies 95+% of the time but they also sound wonderful in 2 channel. Great imaging and large soundfield with to me a slight warm sound. I believe I am going to keep the Def Techs and purchase the MC8 pre/pro.

These forum are a wonderful way to get and evaluate products without going to the dealers who by the way on push there products "as the best".

Ted

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
papill6n
Recent bookmarks