What's new

Do children like widescreen? (1 Viewer)

Joshua Clinard

Screenwriter
Real Name
Joshua Clinard
It's too late, as I have just posted the poll. I did however, remove "Black bars do not bother me" as an answer.

So far the results: Total of votes: 508

How old are you?

8 to 12 years old (58) 11.42%

13 to 15 years old (217) 42.72%

16 to 20 years old (156) 30.71%

Older than 20 (77) 15.16%

How many movies do you watch at home per month?

Two or less (48) 9.45%

3 to 5 (173) 34.06%

6 to 10 (143) 28.15%

More than 10 (144) 28.45%

After reading about the advantages of Widescreen here and here, do you prefer to watch movies in Widescreen or Pan & Scan?

I prefer Widescreen (386) 75.98%

I don´t care (69) 13.58%

I prefer Pan & Scan (53) 10.43%

Does your family own a DVD player?

We own one DVD player (264) 51.97%

We own more than one DVD player (147) 28.94%

We plan to buy a DVD player this year (70) 13.78%

We do not plan on buying a DVD player (27) 5.31%

Looks good so far. I hope to have 1000 votes by tomorrow.

LukeB

Senior HTF Member
It's too late, as I have just posted the poll. I did however, remove "Black bars do not bother me" as an answer.
Well, 10 votes isn't really definitive, but I imagine your findings will definitely be in favor of OAR. :emoji_thumbsup: Good work, hopefully the studios will find it useful!

Joshua Clinard

Screenwriter
Real Name
Joshua Clinard
I will update the results. Like I said, these are high traffic, (40,000 daily visits) sites, so should be a matter of time before I have several thousand votes.

Oscar

Second Unit
Well, my kids dont care about it, but my cousin putted "Atlantis" on full screen, and i told him "Hey, man, you are not watching the whole movie", and then he answered "Then why is th screen full?", and so them i showed him two pics i took from my TV of the same movie, and then he said "Oh, but better get a bigger TV, i dont like much the picture looking to little, but i still like to get the whole picture"

Joshua Clinard

Screenwriter
Real Name
Joshua Clinard
I have updated the results, as well as the text of the questions and message in the first post. It looks really promising so far!

William Ward

Supporting Actor
[Pan & Scan Lover]By posting the survey on the internet, you already skew your results in favor of the technically oriented. People who know, are more likely to want it the way it's supposed to be. Try this at K-Mart or Wal-Mart and the results will be far different. [/Pan & Scan Lover]
This argument will likely be presented to you sometime by someone who really believes in P&S/Fullscreen.
Looks good so far....I wonder if someone who really likes FS/P&S will get all his P&S buddies to load up the survey in that direction???? ;)

Joshua Clinard

Screenwriter
Real Name
Joshua Clinard
I just found out that I can find out individual results, in other words, I can tell exactly how many in each category voted for which selection.

Pat K

Stunt Coordinator
Why dont they just make everyone happy, put PS on one side of the disc, and WS on the other side.. and raise the price a dollar if its too much a pain, CMON!!!

Michael Taylor

Stunt Coordinator
My son, who is 9 years old, prefers widescreen. I explained it to him that he is seeing the whole movie, as it was shown in the theaters. He got it immediately. If a movie is not widescreen, he notices right away and points it out. We were watching "The Hobbit" and he noticed that it was full frame. I had to explain to him that it was OK because that is it's OAR.

If a 9 year old understands that P&S means seeing less of the movie, why can't many adults?

JeffMuller

Stunt Coordinator
I think the poll is much simpler than that.

Do you care if a movie looks like this (show widescreen image)?

We really don't need to give kids the choice of what to buy. It's more a matter of "Will you not watch it if it looks like this?" I can't imagine going to the store with my son, and saying, "OK, let's get blah-blah-blah. Would you prefer Widescreen, or P&S? Oh, wait, the widescreen, isn't anamorphically enhanced, so you should keep that in mind while making your decision, 'Young Besson'."

Not to be age-elitist, but the studios should cater to what adults prefer, keeping in mind whether or not the children will still watch what the adults prefer.

Frankly, my son has never mentioned that some movies have "black bars" and some don't. I don't think he cares. He's 5. If he doesn't care now, he's not going to care in 5 years. If he's used to widescreen, it's not likely he will dislike it by the time "he cares". At the point that he does care, I would imagine that the basis for caring would be on an intellectual level ("why can't I see the whole movie?", hopefully not "why isn't the whole screen filled?").

Anyway, this is already too long.

DaViD Boulet

Senior HTF Member
Hold the phone here

Muppet Treasure Island is P&S??? DAMNIT!!!!!!
So are you gonna' call? If you really care, tell Disney you want it widescreen, OAR, and 16x9.

Do it.

1-800-72-DISNEY

They listen, they care, and you can help change their plans for this and other titles.

Jeff Kleist

Senior HTF Member
I did one better
I complained to my friend who is a Muppeteer and personal friends with Brian Henson :)

Ken_McAlinden

Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Kenneth McAlinden
My 5-1/2 year old daughter doesn't care about aspect ratios and does not earn enough money to afford to purchase DVDs. Heck, she can't even get to the store on her own. I care about aspect ratios, earn enough money to buy DVDs, and will not drive to the store unless I can get OAR. :)
Regards,

DaViD Boulet

Senior HTF Member
You can care all you want but unless you call Disney it won't matter.
I don't think you guys get this. Every day some parent out there calls that 1-800 number on the back of their Disney DVD to complain about the black bars on their TV. That's why Disney is releaseing these new discs P/S...they are responding to the feedback from those consumers who have called.
The rep I spoke with said that she occasionally gets calls from folks like us...wanting OAR, but not nearly as often as they receive complaints by those who dislike the letterboxing. BTW, she also said that she does receive calls complaining about "black bars" she does her best to educate these people over the phone about the benefits of widescreen, including telling them how great they'll look on their future 16x9 TV! But she still has to log the complaint and then the marketing people look at that log.
Don't you want Disney marketers to respond to what you have to say??? Well, they're not going to come to the HTF and read this thread.
People...post here and whine all you want. But if you don't call that phone number you're not helping the OAR cause one bit.
Call 1-800-72-DISNEY. If enough of us call we'll shift the balance for these titles and they'll be released OAR 16x9.
You're call.

Ryan L B

Supporting Actor
im 16 and i care very much if it is widescreen but if it is on tv and pan and scam, i will watch to get a good laugh cause it looks pathetic

Joshua Clinard

Screenwriter
Real Name
Joshua Clinard
I have updated the results of the survey. It's still looking good. I am going to post it on a few more childrens web sites soon. Hopefully I can get another 500 votes next week.

Jenna

Second Unit
Real Name
Jeanette Howard
My 10-year old son prefers to see a movie in widescreen "like it is in the theater".

Of course, he's also prefers a 16:9 TV to a 4:3.

Good boy!

Kevin M

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Kevin Ray
I'm sorry to say that most of the kids (12 & under) that I know "don't like the squished movie, it's too small! etc. etc. etc." HOWEVER, unlike most adults who hate widescreen, kids tend to learn not to notice the "black bars" and get used to letterboxing with much more ease than said "set in their ways" adults.
That's kids for you. ;)

Paul E. Fox II

Second Unit
I have three children - 7, 6, and 3 - and NONE of them even notice the aspect ratio. They want to watch the movie and that's that. I guess they've gotten used to "The Black Bars" as I have watched quite a few DVDs with them but so far they haven't asked about it (and when they do, I'm ready:)!). As a matter of fact, I guess you could say that my wife is a Jane Six Pack and hated "The Black Bars" but since that's the ONLY way I'll buy a DVD (there have been Two Notable execptions to that rule however), to ask her now, you get "I don't even notice them anymore." Training folks, you just have to train and/or teach:).
I think David is right...studios get calls from Angry Adults who don't know what they're seeing. They just want the cool new 55 inch RPTV to be full of movie, not "The Black Bars" at the top and bottom. OUR revenge will come when the the 16:9 Sets actually become the norm and the Angry Adults start calling complaining about "The Even Uglier Grey Bars" on the sides of their sets:):)! Then Joe Six Pack will get his!

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
papill6n
Recent bookmarks