What's new

Do children like widescreen? (1 Viewer)

Dan Hitchman

Senior HTF Member
I had a few kids over to watch Atlantis and the original Time Machine from my book club (some parents tagged along).
The kids thought the widescreen was cool and easily understood the concept behind the black bars (they sat back and enjoyed the movies), the parents on the other hand...
:rolleyes
Dan

Bryan Tuck

Screenwriter
Real Name
Bryan Tuck
I'm sure this isn't indicative of all children, but here's something I observed. I was at a get-together with several friends, and the couple whose house we were at have a five-year-old son (five-and-a-half, he will tell you :rolleyes:), and somehow, I ended up hanging out with him most of the night.
Anyway, everyone else was in the other room, and we watched Titan A.E. on DVD. We watched the whole 2.35:1 frame on a 4:3 TV , and he loved it. Not once did he say anything about the black bars. After it was over, I asked how he liked it, and he said it was cool. I agreed. :D
Anyway, just thought I'd share that with everyone.

Greg_M

Screenwriter
I don't think children care either way. Children usually prefer the version they're used to watching. If they watch a widescreen film often, and then see the Pan & Scan version, they may wonder why some character is not in the scene, or why some small detail is missing, but I don't think they really care.

Of Course, if they don't care, then the only reason for Pan & Scan is for the adults who buy the DVD.

The reason DVD's are in Pan & Scan is because many people could care less if part of the picture is missing AS LONG AS THE PICTURE FILLS THEIR TV SCREEN. Joe six pack isn't as uncultured as you may believe, there are many Joe Six Packs that understand and prefer letterboxing. I also know many film industry people who understand it but still want their tv screen filled up - even with the loss of picture. As long as these people out number the supporters of widescreen, the studios will cater to their request.

Black Bars = smaller picture. People aren't against letterboxing, they want size.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation380
Recent bookmarks