What's new

DLP Technology (1 Viewer)

ChrisWiggles

Senior HTF Member
That too would seem quite unlikely. The only thing on it's way out is CRT, and certainly this will take a long process, as it's still the best, IMO, and likely will have a lot of followers for many many years.

Bob McElfresh

Senior HTF Member
I thought one of the companies decided to stop making DLP televisions, but I cannot remember which one.

There are 2 new flavors of the DLP chip coming out soon: the HD2+ and HD3 chips so some manufacturers are perhaps stoping production of the current models to re-design around the new chips.

Could that be what you heard?

Bob_Bo

Agent
Just a personal observation, but it seems as if DLP technology is poised to grab a large share of the big-screen market.

The price point for a DLP unit is close, if not less than a high-end CRT RPTV, somewhat less than an LCD unit and significantly less than Plasma. Seems as if most of the electronic super stores (BB, CC, etc) are displaying more and more DLP units every time I go in. Price and size are the usual determinants to get Joe Public to buy and DLP succeeds on both points.

As a note, I know that this is the last year that Pioneer (Elite) will be making CRT based TV's. Might this be what was heard?

ChrisWiggles

Senior HTF Member
You have to differentiate between the HD3 and xHD3 chip. The HD3 seems like it's a shrunk version of the HD2+ chip, noises were that it would be inferior, or similar. The xHD3 chip is a "1080p" chip though, but it is unclear whether it actually has that many mirrors, there's some magic going on behind that chip. No SD, and is claimed to resolve a 1080p pattern, but apparently there are not that many pixels. Pretty speculative at this point...

ChrisWiggles

Senior HTF Member
BTW, the HD2+ chips have already been out for some time now, they are quite nice indeed, a significant improvement over the older HD2 units.

I quote from another source:

"Based on information provided by TI:

HD2, 0.8”, 1280x720, CR= 1000:1
HD3, 0.55”, 1280x720, CR= 1500:1
HD2+, 0.8”, 1280x720, CR= 3000:1
xHD3, 0.9”, 1920x1080, CR= 5000:1
"

It is unclear at this point whether there are actually that many mirrors on the chip, as until this point the number of mirrors=#of pixels, and this may not be the case anymore. We'll have to wait and see what is going on behind the scenes with the new chips.

http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showt...&highlight=HD3

http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showt...3&pagenumber=1

Parker Clack

Schizophrenic Man
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Parker

Neil Joseph

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Neil Joseph
This xHD3 @ 5000:1 (as a FP) would be something that would cause me to upgrade in the future if the price is right. Sweet

Neil Joseph

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Neil Joseph
No xHD3 chips in any front projectors yet. For me personally, any upgrade has to be full HD.

ChrisWiggles

Senior HTF Member
Only the sony qualia and there is a JVC are coming out with full 1080p capability. Pixelwise, they're AMAZING, but blacklevel on the qualia, is not so impressive.

I'm still a CRT man myself :P.

CalvinCarr

Supporting Actor
David,
I just got married and built a house so it's still a couple of months away. Luckily the new wife loved the XBR950 and pointed me in that direction.;)

David Parrish

Stunt Coordinator
Excellent... So at the very least you know you can throw a sizeable wad of cash at whatever you end up deciding on:D

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nielmb
Recent bookmarks