What's new

Which would you choose? Optoma HD28, Epson 3800 or Epson 4010? (1 Viewer)

neuropathy

Auditioning
Real Name
James Shaffer

DaveF

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Dave
You are going to need to tell us a lot more about your room and other gear. Personally I’d look for an Epson 6040 if you are able to stretch budget.
You mean the 6050? The 6040 is the five year old, discontinued, previous model.

John Dirk

Premium
Ambassador
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
JOHN
The Epson 4010 is easily the better of the options presented. It has better quality LCD panels and a powered zoom lens. Do your research before considering a DLP model like the Optoma as DLP has some inherent limitations that may or may not matter to you.

I also agree with Sam and Dave in that your decision should hinge on your environment as well as your budget. If you do decide to spring for something in the neighborhood of the Pro Cinema 6050 [that's what I have and love it] there is a companion model that is almost identical and can save you some money.

Last edited:

DaveF

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Dave
There are some differences, that may or may not make up the price difference,

“Epson Pro Cinema 6050UB 4K PRO-UHD 3LCD Projector Review”
The Epson Pro Cinema 6050UB, priced at $3,999, is a slightly modified version of the Epson Home Cinema 5050UB that is available in a black cabinet through AV integrators/installers. It offers the same 2,600 lumens of brightness, but a modest claimed boost in rated contrast ratio to 1,200,000:1 thanks to Epson identifying champion projector samples during 5050 production and designating those units for the commercial channel. Additionally, it adds lockable ISF Day and Night modes for use in professional calibration, and an extra aspect ratio setting for use with a standalone anamorphic lens. The 6050UB also ships with a ceiling mount, an extra lamp for future replacement, and a cable cover that snaps over the rear connection cavity.

DaveF

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Dave
I'm wondering if there will be an appreciable difference between these projectors:

Optoma Technology HD28HDR Full HD DLP Projector - $700

Epson Home Cinema 3800 HDR Pixel-Shift 4K UHD 3LCD Home Theater Projector - $1600

Epson Home Cinema 4010 Pixel-Shifted UHD 3LCD Home Theater Projector - $2000

Comparison here: https://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/comp...0/BHitems/1551063-REG_1500322-REG_1428702-REG

From the HD28 to the 3800, major noticeable difference?

What about 3800 to 4010?
Within these selections, I personally would bu the Epson 4010. The $700 projector for me is not even a consideration, as it will certainly be greatly outperformed by the Epson, and since I could see RBE in older DLPs, I'd be wary of that -- though I could be outdated on my perception of modern DLP.

But, this is budget dependent. If your budget is $1000 and the $1600+ options are big stretches, then I say better to live comfortably in your budget than stress over such expenses.

neuropathy

Auditioning
Real Name
James Shaffer
Thank you - I'm leaning toward the Epson 4010 to replace a 10+ year old Optoma HD20, which did its job very well with heavy usage - I repaired it multiple times, as well.

The Epson 4010 is $2000 new or about $1450 on Amazon refurbished... I'm not sure if I should consider the refurbished option. Warranty is just 90 days compared to 2 years. Would you consider it?

I'm also hoping it can be mounted upside down on the ceiling, or if it's only intended to be used with its feet on the ground.

Beyond $1600 is a bit of a stretch (already twice the amount of DLP that's similar to what I've got - Optoma HD28), so I'm really hoping to see a considerable difference in using a projector like the three listed here. I'd love to have a $4000 projector like the Epson 6050, but I just can't spring for that right now. I'm doing a lot of other construction work that's costing a lot.

About the room, it's a living room with the current projector (Optoma HD20 1080P DLP) mounted on the ceiling about 15 feet back. It projects directly onto the wall, which is a standard 8' high wall, roughly 16' wide. It's connected to a computer I built when I setup this projector although two years ago, I upgraded it with a quad-core Xeon CPU (Socket 771 modified for socket 775 motherboard) and an SSD. It only has a 512 MB GeForce 8600 (or something like that - can't quite remember, it's been so long). It's handling things quite well.

It's mostly used for browsing the web and reading articles or watching videos on YouTube and Netflix, as well as watching soccer games and watching films (not using BluRay, just streaming and downloading). I'm into all sorts of films, from sci-fi to classics (roughly from the recent Ghost in the Shell, although the anime is much better (!) to Lawrence of Arabia if that gives an idea). I mostly watch EPL soccer games. And then all the standard crap on Netflix and Youtube, of course.

It's not used for games, although I do plan to build another machine at some point and it'll probably be used for some games. I'm a retro gamer anyway, but it would be fun to check out certain games (like a new Doom or Resident Evil entry) occasionally. I barely play games at all though and it would be very unlikely I'd add a console to this setup, although you never know - if things get easier in my life, I might have to do it, but I'm a computer type of person anyway - I do everything with the computer rather than any sort of streaming device. I might add an Apple TV at some point for others who would like things to be more simplified, though.

Last edited:

DaveF

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Dave
I think all projectors (not UST) can be hung upside down, since that’s a very common usage.

I don’t know anything about refurb’d projectors, or buying refurb anything Amazon. I guess I’d make sure it’s an authorized refurb from a reputable reseller.

John Dirk

Premium
Ambassador
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
JOHN
It's mostly used for browsing the web and reading articles or watching videos on YouTube and Netflix, as well as watching soccer games and watching films (not using BluRay, just streaming and downloading). I'm into all sorts of films, from sci-fi to classics (roughly from the recent Ghost in the Shell, although the anime is much better (!) to Lawrence of Arabia if that gives an idea). I mostly watch EPL soccer games. And then all the standard crap on Netflix and Youtube, of course.
Considering the above, if you don't mind the question, why are you considering a 4K model? If you're not interested in purchasing a suitable screen and don't really care about Blu Ray, you could easily find a 1080P model within your price range that would likely be a considerable improvement over the HD20.

RKAR

Auditioning
Real Name
Reza Kartadinata
I would recommend the Epson HC3800 over the 4010. It is a great bang for the buck projector. The HC3800 is brighter, so even calibratEd, it still has enough useable output. I use mine with a 100” DNP Supernova ambient light rejecting screen; providing a high contrast, bright image that is able to keep up with the ambient light in my Media Room. The HDR to me is more import to me than; therefore, I didn’t pick the 4010.

neuropathy

Auditioning
Real Name
James Shaffer
Thanks DaveF, I won't be getting a refurbished unit after all - too risky. It looks like it'll be fine mounting the 4010 upside-down, as well.

Hi John Dirk, I've been wavering between a 1080P and 4K model, but plenty of the content will be higher resolution (soccer games, movies - I'd take advantage of it whenever possible). I've been fine with 1080P, but part of the consideration is about getting something that will hopefully last another 8-10 years like the HD20. Do you have any specific models you'd recommend, though? It's been a while since I did any research in this market and I haven't been able to keep up with projector technology.

Thanks Sam Posten, that projector looks fantastic, but it's just a lot more than I'd planned to spend as I'd been looking to spend $1600 max, although I began to consider the 4010 at $2000. The 6050 is $4000, though and I just better not or I'll be in trouble!

Thanks RKAR, it's good to hear some feedback about the 3800 - I'd sort of come around to thinking the 4010 would be the right value between the 3800 and the 6050 for just a bit more. I wish I were able to see them all compared in person! It's between the 3800 and the 4010 at this point. It seemed that there was a word missing from your comment though - "The HDR to me is more import to me than (?) ; therefore, I didn't pick the 4010." Can you tell me what was meant? I'm not an expert in any of this and the comparison isn't easy for me to judge.

John Dirk

Premium
Ambassador
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
JOHN
Do you have any specific models you'd recommend, though? It's been a while since I did any research in this market and I haven't been able to keep up with projector technology.
As for 1080P models, the Panasonic PE8000U was one of the best available at the consumer level in it's day. I have one sitting in my storage room. PM me if interested.

Between the Epson 3800 and 4010 models, I'd personally stick with the latter. The 3800 is only the better option if you're a serious gamer as it offers appreciably lower input lag. It's 3000 lumens of brightness would come at the cost of color accuracy and it's contrast ratio is only half that of the 4010. Both projectors use the exact same lamp. Lastly, the 3800 lacks the motorized lens of the 4010, something you definitely want for ceiling-mounted projectors.

Last edited:

neuropathy

Auditioning
Real Name
James Shaffer
Thank you so much for all the help - I think the 4010 will be best for me in that case. I think it'll be best to get something new that has basic 4K input capabilities for whatever might come in the future. I appreciate offering the other projector to me, though. I don't really play games and when I do, they're usually older games or ones where lag isn't going to be something I worry about. It'll mostly be used for family-type stuff and the motorized lens did seem to be an important feature here - adjusting the lens of the Optoma HD20 manually while it's on the ceiling wobbling as you're adjusting it has never been too good.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
blitz
Recent bookmarks