What's new

8K not all that much 'visually' better? (1 Viewer)

Mike Up

Supporting Actor
I've been reading a lot of articles and tests, and most say that 8K is not significant over 4K. The reasons sited is that you would have to be seated really close to the TV. To see the difference, you have to be in front of a huge screen like front row seats in a theater, where the screen is out of your vision requiring to turn your head left and right to see the entire screen.

Articles sited it's an insignificant upgrade being nowhere near the benefit of going from 1080p to 4K60p.

Then on top of the insignificance, cables, and equipment requirements and costs associated with them. Also media would be hard to come by because of the requirements of bandwidth, bitrate and such.

Now 4K120p is another story but 8K just seems like a lot of hardship, expense, for very little 'according' to numerous articles I've read here and there.

What's other's thoughts?

Jonathan Perregaux

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jonathan Perregaux
I'm not against 8K at all. But something like this does spring to mind:

maxresdefault.jpg

JohnRice

Bounded In a Nutshell
Premium
Ambassador
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
John
8K just doesn’t make sense in a home setting. Enormous commercial displays, maybe, but not at home.

Robert_Zohn

Value Electronics
Premium
Insider
Real Name
Robert Zohn
There are several picture quality enhancement that comes with an 8K picture.

First, is that since 8K has over 33 million pixels, which is 4x of what a native 4K TV has the pixels are 1/4 of the size and more densely packed so all curved or circles are smoother.

Second, with the 400% more pixels you get a brighter picture and typically better color saturation.

Third, each 8K brand integrates their best video processing and most have extra bandwidth memory so they can build the best algorithms to enhance the up-scaling capability so low resolution content, like cable and compressed streaming is rendered beautifully on the TV's 8k images.

With all this said 8K TVs are best matched for the larger screen sizes and, or for sitting close to the screen.

Finally, with the abundance of new native 8K mirrorless SLR camera it's fun and easy to create your own native 8K HDR content. I filmed my son's wedding with a native 8K camera and when we played the video and still images on LG's 88" Z2 and Sony's 85" Z9K I fell like I belong in Hollywood. The images were stunning!

Also Amazon joined the 8K Association and is paying a hefty fee. I'm sure they joined the 8K Association and pay the big fees to be ready for their future 8K broadcasting.

Mike Up

Supporting Actor
Thank for your comments everyone.

Now for the average person with a 65" to 70" TV sitting about 10' to 12' away, will you notice any improve in resolution alone?

According to all the information I read, it all says no, you wouldn't see any meaningful difference.

Now if you sit right on top of it, where you need to turn your head left and right to see the entire screen, yes, you'll see some difference.

With all this said 8K TVs are best matched for the larger screen sizes and, or for sitting close to the screen. I filmed my son's wedding with a native 8K camera and when we played the video and still images on LG's 88" Z2 and Sony's 85" Z9K I fell like I belong in Hollywood. The images were stunning!
How close were you to these huge TVs? I bet they had a stunning image but when compared 4K HDR on the same TV at normal watching distances, was there a real difference?

The reason I even posted this thread is all the hype around HT 8K compatible equipment. However, is the Hype meaningful as can you realistically take advantage of 8K in a real home setting? There is a point when the equipment finally gets to the stage where you can't really get much better realistically, not specs and test measurements that are beyond the human senses' capability.

Last edited:

Robert_Zohn

Value Electronics
Premium
Insider
Real Name
Robert Zohn
The 8K resolution by itself will not give you any benefit at that viewing distance and screen size.

You will se a moderate picture quality advantage with 8K as the curves and circles will be smoother, but even this advantage is minimal at that screen size and viewing distance.

So bottom line a good 4K TV is your best choice.

Post a picture of the room or just tell us how the ambient light is, especially during the daytime and the normal content you watch and if you don't mind tell us the price range you'd like to go with and myself and others can chime in on the best TV for your use-case.

Mike Up

Supporting Actor
The 8K resolution by itself will not give you any benefit at that viewing distance and screen size.

You will se a moderate picture quality advantage with 8K as the curves and circles will be smoother, but even this advantage is minimal at that screen size and viewing distance.

So bottom line a good 4K TV is your best choice.
Thanks for sharing your experiences and comments.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nielmb
Recent bookmarks