What's new

Disney+ Disney+ Streaming Service (Official Thread) (2 Viewers)

Josh Steinberg

Premium
Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Josh Steinberg

Josh Steinberg

Premium
Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Josh Steinberg
Will the re-release be in 3D?

No showtimes announced yet but I gotta believe it will be, at least partially. Apparently from what I’ve read Disney has been requiring any 3D capable theater that wants to play Avatar 2 in December to show the 3D versions of other Disney owned properties this year (like Doctor Strange 2 and Thor 4), so I have to believe there’s no reason an Avatar 1 reissue would be exempt from that.

benbess

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ben
Searching around for something to watch last night that my spouse might like, I found this weird, elaborate, and for us fairly funny direct-to-Disney+ movie titled "Chip n' Dale: Rescue Rangers" (trailer below). It more or less follows the template of Who Framed Roger Rabbit, in that it shows the behind the scenes backstories of cartoon characters as if they were real, but of course it's not nearly as good as that 1988 classic. In this case it follows the somewhat obscure Chip and Dale, whose fully animated cartoons from the 1940s and 50s can be found on Disney+, and whose 1989 TV show with 60+ episodes can also be found on the service. My wife and I vaguely remembered watching some of the really old cartoons as kids, but we were only barely aware of the later Rescue Rangers series. Anyway, this movie features a combination of what seems to be hand-drawn animation, digital animation, and for one character claymation stop-motion. It references dozens of different animated characters in funny ways. Look for the billboard advertising the in-universe movie "Lego Miserables." This looked expensive, and according to wikipedia the production cost was $70 million. My rating: B+

Last edited:

sleroi

Screenwriter
Real Name
Gavin Kopp
Epic Adventures with Bertie Gordon was just added and it is breathtakingly beautiful.

It is a nature show in 4k with Dolby Vision and as stunning as it looks on my LED TV I'm sure it looks even better on an OLED.

I've watched the first two episodes and all I can say is wow! I'd go as far as to say this show looks better than the BBC nature shows.

Two things that my TV seems to handle really well are water and fire, and the first episode is in Antarctica. The waves look amazing enough, but the underwater footage tops that. Especially the large seal, it's almost ethereal.

Episode 2 has a closeup of a lions eye that is so detailed you can make out the star pattern.
And the landscapes are just as stunning as the animals.

Over the last few years my eyes have adjusted to 4k, but this show really wowed me. I would say visually it's demo worthy.

I can't recommend this show highly enough, especially if you enjoy nature shows.

Josh Steinberg

Premium
Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Josh Steinberg
They might have done the transfers used for the Treasures DVD tins in HD - that was the case with some of the other releases and that’s why Spin & Marty was in HD when Disney+ launched.

Randy Korstick

Senior HTF Member
They might have done the transfers used for the Treasures DVD tins in HD - that was the case with some of the other releases and that’s why Spin & Marty was in HD when Disney+ launched.
That would be my guess. We are lucky to be getting any older material from them since they have little interest in it so I'm sure they did not go out of their way to create new masters.

RBailey

Supporting Actor
Real Name
John Hall
Finally some older content coming to Disney Plus.
Zorro Season 1 and 2 on Disney Plus October 5th.

I'm excited about this. Hopefully a step in the right direction for more of their Classic TV and Live Action films
I hope it's in the original black and white and not the colorized episodes that used to air on The Disney Channel cable service.

Randy Korstick

Senior HTF Member
I hope it's in the original black and white and not the colorized episodes that used to air on The Disney Channel cable service.
The DVD's were black and white only and since its being assumed that that is the source I would be shocked if they weren't. The DVD's have much newer masters then those old cable masters which probably are not suitable for HD conversion.

Todd Erwin

Reviewer
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Todd Erwin
Well, Zorro, season 1 & 2 dropped today on D+. Good news is that they are black and white, the bad news is that they appear to be SD rather than HD.

John*Wells

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
John
What is Disney's malfunction regarding 20th Century Fox titles? If they are not going to release DVD or Blu/4K Why not put them on Disney+ or Hulu? One that has specifically bothered me over the years is the 1973 TV Version of Miracle on 34th Street

benbess

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ben
Disney paid $71 billion dollars for 20th Century Fox, which of course included a vast library of films. I'm not sure Disney will ever earn back that amount of money, but given that they own this library why not make more use of it? There are hundreds of good movies rated G and PG that 20th Century Fox made, from the 1930s into the 21st century. A select few, like The Sound of Music, are already on Disney+. Why not put at least a few hundred more of the already restored titles on Disney+ with their own icon—something like "20th Century Classics"? Then Disney+ would have its own Turner Classic Movies-style channel within their streaming service.

Last edited:

TonyD

Who do we think I am?
Ambassador
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Tony D.
Anyone else having issues with Atmos audio on D+ today?

When I start a show the Atmos logo pops up on my Denon then immediately switches to regular surround sound.
Checked HBO and Apple+ and I get Atmos.

Todd Erwin

Reviewer
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Todd Erwin
Anyone else having issues with Atmos audio on D+ today?

When I start a show the Atmos logo pops up on my Denon then immediately switches to regular surround sound.
Checked HBO and Apple+ and I get Atmos.
What device are you using?

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nielmb
Recent bookmarks