What's new

Disney+ Disney+ Streaming Service (Official Thread) (2 Viewers)

olivia1

Auditioning
Real Name
Olivia
I live in Europe and we have the STAR tab on Disney + for 2 or 3 years now. It is basically most of Fox movies, touchtone, FX... and most of what is on Hulu. I was wondering the difference with the new USA Hulu Tab and if some may be in 4K while we have it in HD or otherwise. For exemple the Aliens and True Lies are still in HD here

Stephen_J_H

All Things Film Junkie
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Stephen J. Hill
I live in Europe and we have the STAR tab on Disney + for 2 or 3 years now. It is basically most of Fox movies, touchtone, FX... and most of what is on Hulu. I was wondering the difference with the new USA Hulu Tab and if some may be in 4K while we have it in HD or otherwise. For exemple the Aliens and True Lies are still in HD here
It’s a similar story in Canada, though we don’t currently have access to True Lies or The Abyss in ANY format. That’s likely to change around the time of physical release, as it did with Indiana Jones and the Dial of Destiny.
IMG_1798.jpeg

DaveF

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Dave
I’m getting D+ for free for 6 months from a Verizon Fios new customer promo. If in that D+ account I change to a Duo subscription, will that price be discounted by the value of the D+ promo? Or will the promo be dropped and I’ll be charged the full $20/mo?

I haven’t tried messaging with D+ or VZW yet on this, in case this is a known situation here on the forum. :)

Todd Erwin

Reviewer
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Todd Erwin
I’m getting D+ for free for 6 months from a Verizon Fios new customer promo. If in that D+ account I change to a Duo subscription, will that price be discounted by the value of the D+ promo? Or will the promo be dropped and I’ll be charged the full $20/mo?

I haven’t tried messaging with D+ or VZW yet on this, in case this is a known situation here on the forum. :)
Disney sees that as a third party promo, meaning you would have to make the changes with Verizon, since technically you are “paying” via Verizon.

That is how I have Netflix setup thru T-Mobile. T-Mo pays Netflix for the Basic HD tier and I pay T-Mo the difference for the premium 4K tier.

DaveF

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Dave
Disney sees that as a third party promo, meaning you would have to make the changes with Verizon, since technically you are “paying” via Verizon.

That is how I have Netflix setup thru T-Mobile. T-Mo pays Netflix for the Basic HD tier and I pay T-Mo the difference for the premium 4K tier.
That’s what I was afraid of. I see no way to change my subscription within Verizon

Todd Erwin

Reviewer
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Todd Erwin
That’s what I was afraid of. I see no way to change my subscription within Verizon
I received two texts from T-Mo today, one notifying me that next month my monthly Netflix charge would increase from $7 to $16 due to Netflix's price increases last October and a change in the deal between the two companies with T-Mo only covering the cost of ad-supported Netflix ( :angry:boo!).
The other text stated that starting January 24, Hulu would now also be included with my plan. I suspect that is the ad-supported Hulu, and no idea if T-Mo will offer an upgrade similar to what they offer with Netflix (I know that they do NOT offer such a deal with Paramount+).

Garysb

Senior HTF Member
Disney+ has lost over 1 Million subscribers since 2023 price hikes.

Disney+ hopes to turn things around by being the exclusive streaming home of Taylor Swift's Eras Tour Concert film with 5 additional songs not seen in theaters. Beginning March 15th.

Malcolm R

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Malcolm
Disney+ hopes to turn things around by being the exclusive streaming home of Taylor Swift's Eras Tour Concert film with 5 additional songs not seen in theaters. Beginning March 15th.
Old news. I'm more interested in knowing which of her many past boyfriends is the "inspiration" for her upcoming song, "The Smallest Man Who Ever Lived." ;)

Malcolm R

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Malcolm
I grudgingly activated a D+ account this weekend, after realizing that D+ "basic" (I presume that is the lower tier with ads) is included for free with my cable TV service through Spectrum. Haven't watched anything yet, but there are a few things I put on a watch list. Will be able to sample some of the Marvel series before I buy the discs (like Loki).

Hate to add to the D+ subscriber numbers, but if it's "free" ... I guess I might as well sample it anyway.

thebox

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Marcos
More on the technical side but it may still be informative for anyone interested... :)

I want to recommend one of the best 4K movies on Disney+ to test the HDR capabilities of any display (TV, projector): "Toy Story 3".

Similarly, "Z-O-M-B-I-E-S 3" and "Solo: A Star Wars Story" are two other examples (of non-animation) that offer excellent HDR, but a notch below.

An older movie capable of delivering excellent HDR is "Who Framed Roger Rabbit" (1988).

A bit of disappointment comes with "The Nutcracker and the Four Realms". Limited HDR impact and to be honest, appear closer to a SDR movie...

Unfortunately, Disney+ doesn't provide HDR static metadata information for every movie, but it covers about 20-25% of the total 4K movie library what I've found so far!

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mycuu
Recent bookmarks