What's new

Disney+ Disney+ Streaming Service (Official Thread) (1 Viewer)

Robert Crawford

Crawdaddy
Patron
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert
If they keep at it so there’s a new episode of Star Wars or Marvel just about every week of the year, I’ll have no reason to cancel. If it’s more like the first year of the service where it was just eight weeks of a show and then nothing new for another year, I’ll cancel rather than keeping it going while it’s not in use. My hope is that they have enough new content so that I have no reason to quit it.
I'm thinking similar, but I might wait to see if I can accumulate some shows then execute my rotating subscription strategy between Disney+ and perhaps Paramount+ or some similar streaming service.

Randy Korstick

Senior HTF Member
I just wish they would add to their 1950's - early 1980's classic Disney live action and tv shows. They started with at best 30% of that catalog and have barely increased it since launch with 0 new additions this year so far. I know many are not HD ready yet but I thought they would be working on those and add at least 1 a month. Plus there are at least a couple dozen live action movies that already have HD masters and are available for digital purchase and have been shown on TCM but they don't even add those. This is my biggest complaint and disappointment with Disney+ and the 1 area they have so far failed to live up to the claim that the majority of the Disney catalog would be available and available at all times. They have done a good but not complete job on the animated films but a pretty mediocre job with live action and tv. For example on TV what's stopping them from adding both seasons of the Zorro tv series. Both seasons had very good masters on the DVD releases.

Josh Steinberg

Premium
Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Josh Steinberg
I would guess that it’s two things. The pandemic does make it harder to access, assess and introduce new assets to the service - by no means impossible, but with a lot of people working remotely, it becomes harder to do.

And the other thing may have to do with demand. They can tell how many times each program has been streamed on the service, and if there’s one area that’s not attracting a lot of interest, and another one that is, they may be more likely to focus on adding stuff that’s getting more attention. That’s all conjecture on my part, but if they’re not seeing that type of material drawing eyeballs, there may be less incentive to add to the collection.

I, too, would welcome more of the classic material, particularly the early TV shows. And maybe I’m part of the problem because I’ve seen the vast majority of the classic material they have on there so I’m not watching it, and maybe they’re taking that as disinterest instead.

David Deeb

Screenwriter
Real Name
David
I just wish they would add to their 1950's - early 1980's classic Disney live action and tv shows. They started with at best 30% of that catalog and have barely increased it since launch with 0 new additions this year so far.

Completely agree. Tried Disney + for a month or two, but dropped it, because there wasn't any more of the classic live action they had promised. I know the older content doesn't attract as many new subscribers as the Mandalorian and The Avengers. But they could get 1 show out a week, or at least 1 a month.

Similarly, HBO Max has tons of legacy HBO content they could release, but outside the big titles (Sopranos, etc.) I've only discovered a few shows. I wonder if these services are reconsidering their promise of having their massive libraries available all the time.

MattBradley

Second Unit
Real Name
Matt Bradley
According to superherohype.com - a few classic Star Wars moments are coming to Disney+:

All coming April 2:

Clone Wars (the original 2D version)
Caravan of Courage: An Ewok Adventure
Ewoks: The Battle For Endor
The Story Of The Faithful Wookie (animated section of the Star Wars Holiday Special)
Ewok Animated Series (26 episodes)

TravisR

Senior HTF Member
According to superherohype.com - a few classic Star Wars moments are coming to Disney+:

All coming April 2:

The Story Of The Faithful Wookie (animated section of the Star Wars Holiday Special)
Ewoks but no Droids?

Randy Korstick

Senior HTF Member

All coming April 2:

I also read Island at the top of the World(1974) and Third man on the mountain(1959) are also coming on April 2nd these are the 1st classic live action Disney movies added in at least 6 months. If they could just add 2 of these every month they would make a lot of subscribers happy and probably get quite a few new ones that won't subscribe because there isn't enough older classic Disney available.
I have a fondness for Island at the Top of the World as I saw it on my 9th birthday when it was originally released in December of 1974 with the 25 minute short Winnie the Pooh and Tigger too. This animated short is now part of the movie The Many Adventures of Winnie the Pooh (1977) which combined the three 25 minute previously released theatrical shorts into one film: Winnie the pooh and the Honey Tree (1966), Winnie the pooh and the Blustery Day (1968) and Winnie the pooh and Tigger too (1974)

Todd Erwin

Reviewer
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Todd Erwin
I also read Island at the top of the World(1974) and Third man on the mountain(1959) are also coming on April 2nd these are the 1st classic live action Disney movies added in at least 6 months. If they could just add 2 of these every month they would make a lot of subscribers happy and probably get quite a few new ones that won't subscribe because there isn't enough older classic Disney available.
I have a fondness for Island at the Top of the World as I saw it on my 9th birthday when it was originally released in December of 1974 with the 25 minute short Winnie the Pooh and Tigger too. This animated short is now part of the movie The Many Adventures of Winnie the Pooh (1977) which combined the three 25 minute previously released theatrical shorts into one film: Winnie the pooh and the Honey Tree (1966), Winnie the pooh and the Blustery Day (1968) and Winnie the pooh and Tigger too (1974)
I'd like to see more of the live action comedies Disney produced in the 1970s, especially those with Kurt Russell.

Movies like Now You See Him Now You Don't, Superdad, The Barefoot Executive, etc.

Stephen_J_H

All Things Film Junkie
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Stephen J. Hill
Perspective from north of the 49th Parallel:
Like the rest of the world, we don't have Hulu, meaning Disney+ has now added the STAR category to Disney+, containing more mature content from Fox/Touchstone/Hollywood, including in-house produced FX series and other TV content not fitting the main Disney brand. They've also increased the monthly fee for new subscribers from $8.99 Cdn to $11.99, but current subscribers are grandfathered for the first 6 months.

My hot take: I'm probably going to be canceling my Netflix subscription, as I'm currently also subscribed to Amazon Prime, Shudder, Criterion Channel and Arrow Video. The last time I truly binged something on Netflix was The Chilling Adventures of Sabrina. I'm watching a LOT of Disney+. I watched Zardoz the other day on STAR, and there's a lot on there that I like.
Hot take #2: Disney will likely fold Hulu into Disney+ like the STAR sub-channel internationally. We're the guinea pigs for what's coming for the US. They've added PIN account protection and parental controls to keep tiny eyes away from more mature content.

Chris Maynard

Supporting Actor
“Disney to offer two streaming services and end its movie distribution agreement with Netflix”

http://www.latimes.com/business/hollywood/la-fi-ct-disney-earnings-20170808-story.html

I will admit that I have not read through this thread.
That being said I have noticed, tested, and consequently made purchases of 4k UHD discs since the audio quality of these streaming platforms seems to be the sacrificial lamb.

The audio is always of less quality as compared to the 4K UHD discs and even the standard Blu-rays.

The quality of streaming improved when I went from 20mbps to 250mbps but the physical discs blow the streaming counterpart out of the water.

Tino

Taken As Ballast
Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Valentino
That being said I have noticed, tested, and consequently made purchases of 4k UHD discs since the audio quality of these streaming platforms seems to be the sacrificial lamb.

The audio is always of less quality as compared to the 4K UHD discs and even the standard Blu-rays.

The quality of streaming improved when I went from 20mbps to 250mbps but the physical discs blow the streaming counterpart out of the water.
Weren’t you a Moderator here in the 90’s Chris?

Robert Crawford

Crawdaddy
Patron
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert

How you're doing Chris as I hope everything is well with you and yours?

As to streaming 4K movies, the audio has gotten better and for many movies in 4K, it's difficult for me to tell the difference between a 4K disc with Atmos and a 4K stream with Atmos. There is no doubt that the disc is probably superior, but for many movies, it's not as easy for me to distinguish the difference when I've done "A" versus "B" comparisons on my 7.2.4 Dolby Atmos system. With that said, there are still far too many movies in which the audio doesn't come close streaming-wise versus their disc counterpart.

IMO, video-wise, the differences between streaming and disc is much closer on many movies. That's where a huge jump in improvement has occurred over the last five years or so.

Tino

Taken As Ballast
Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Valentino
Yes I was. 99 to 2001 or so. Lots of great memories and friendships that I hold to this day.
Dude. I remember you plenty. You and I were in agreement on Titanic. And didn’t you and Edwin Pereyra meet up and exchange pies? Don’t ask me how I remember that!;)

Good to see you again Chris!

Robert Crawford

Crawdaddy
Patron
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert
Dude. I remember you plenty. You and I were in agreement on Titanic. And didn’t you and Edwin Pereyra meet up and exchange pies? Don’t ask me how I remember that!;)

Good to see you again Chris!
That's a name out of the past. Edwin was one of the dudes that was part of a small group of us that watched "Requiem for a Dream" in a LA movie theater during our 2000 HTF Meet. Talk about a downer movie experience as even though it's a great movie, it is also very depressing.

Robert Crawford

Crawdaddy
Patron
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert
I just remember another story from that 2000 HTF Meet. Chris Maynard lost his cell phone during the Tonight Show taping in Burbank, CA and never found it even though they looked for it. That show taping with Jay Leno had Sharon Stone and Casey Affleck as guests. Stone had this short, tight dress on in which you can see that she gain a little bit of weight in her thighs. Needless to say, she wasn't in "Basic Instinct" conditioning nor was it such a visual moment as in that film.:) However, when we came back from break, somebody must have told her because those thighs were less exposed to us, the studio audience.:D

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
papill6n
Recent bookmarks