What's new

UHD Disney Is Finally Going UHD: Guardians of the Galaxy 2 UHD Pre-order Appears (1 Viewer)

Josh Steinberg

Premium
Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Josh Steinberg
I guess I will be too, but I'm not thrilled about it. I've got ever Marvel 3D BD release and they all have consistent packaging. I won't like switching to a release that doesn't match. I will also be disappointed to be missing out on the digital copy and Disney Movies Anywhere rewards that come with a domestic purchase.

Sam Posten

Premium
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Sam Posten
Fingers crossed

Via AVS:

Attachments

• IMG_1270.JPG
    IMG_1270.JPG
    70.7 KB · Views: 67
Last edited:

Josh Steinberg

Premium
Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Josh Steinberg
I'm not making the trade of slightly more resolution for missing 50% of the picture. After Gunn made such a huge deal about how the 3D in the film was part of the film's screenplay, I'm shocked that he's apparently okay with that trade-off.

Josh Steinberg

Premium
Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Josh Steinberg
Maybe a 3D copy will be made available as a retail exclusive(like Rogue One for Best Buy, Target). Even if it isn't I'm sure it will be available region free from other countries in that format.

Here's hoping!

I see that it's available for preorder in certain places, but I always get nervous about these until people start reporting that the disc is in hand. It's too easy for a studio to announce a potential pre-release, or for retailers to expect they'll be getting a certain format based on previous releases, and then make a listing based on that information, and then ultimately not have the product show up at all. As an example, Disney's remake of Pete's Dragon was supposed to get an international 3D release...until it didn't. Most of these international releases aren't day & date with the U.S. either - they're often a month or so later, at least on the Disney side of things.

I'm worried a day will come where we'll see the preorders going up for a 3D edition for major blockbusters, but the release never materializes in the end, and I'm worried that day is probably coming sooner vs. later.

David Norman

Senior HTF Member
As far as I remember Pete's Dragon 3D was never available to preorder from any of the usual retail stores . The only 2 place that had it as
possible was the Ebay seller that is the main Indian source and a German site I'd never heard of. None of the major stores ever had a preorder listed.. I don't think Amazon.in ever put a 3D release up like they eventually did BatB and now G2 (both reg and Steelbook)

There are already several international releases from Amazon European and Australia, The usual Asian countries must be releasing later b/c none of them have orders up yet. I guess you can never be 100% sure until official reports come out, but I'd pretty confident G2 3D is coming out.

Last edited:

Sam Posten

Premium
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Sam Posten
I'm very excited to see Disney jumping on the 4K/Atmos bandwagon! Can't wait hopefully this will be the trend moving forward.

I hadn't even thought about this, and I know you and I root for different gardens, but I wonder how DMA will react? Will we get 4K on Vudu? I am really hoping to see iTunes adopt DV at the fall keynote.

DavidMiller

Screenwriter
Real Name
David Miller
I hadn't even thought about this, and I know you and I root for different gardens, but I wonder how DMA will react? Will we get 4K on Vudu? I am really hoping to see iTunes adopt DV at the fall keynote.

I would assume that we would since they already have a deal with Disney Anywhere or whatever it is called... I keep hoping Vudu starts offering HDR10 then maybe we would get the Fox titles in 4K.

DavidJ

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
David
Perhaps the consortium should have simply referred to the format as "UHD" instead of "4K UHD" then - but by calling it "4K UHD", that opens up a perfectly fair and reasonable line of inquiry about whether the titles being released are actually "4K".

I'm also concerned about altering movies from the filmmaker's original vision simply for the sake of showing off the technical capabilities of new TV sets. There are lots of UHD discs coming out that have HDR on them, when the film wasn't released theatrically with HDR. Because Beauty And The Beast played in Dolby Vision and IMAX Laser, it did have a limited HDR release, but from what I understand, the HDR used at home is often different from what was used in theaters, so there's that concern, which I understand that many may not share.

And then, specifically in the case of Guardians Of The Galaxy Vol. 2, this was intended to be a 3D film from the beginning, with director James Gunn commenting that the 3D effects were planned at the scripting stage. UHD is a format that only supports 2D. Since the writer/director has commented that 3D was even part of the screenwriting process, I consider it to be an essential part of the film's DNA, and have no interest in a version that is not in 3D.

I am not saying that UHD discs have no value, and I would be interested in future-proofing myself with UHD discs of titles that were released theatrically in 4K, 2D-only and with HDR. I am not as interested in UHD discs that can't replicate what was seen in theaters, and Guardians 2 would fall in that latter category for me.

For what it's worth, he did also approve and promote on social media the XDR of the Dolby Vision format it was shown in.

Josh Steinberg

Premium
Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Josh Steinberg
For what it's worth, he did also approve and promote on social media the XDR of the Dolby Vision format it was shown in.

I saw that too -- but to my mind, there's a difference between saying "The film looks nice in this format" (Dolby Vision) vs. "We wrote the usage of this format directly into the film's screenplay from the earliest planning stages" (3D). The use of Dolby Vision, while nice for enhancing the presentation, isn't part of the film's script; the use of 3D was. I have no problem with a Dolby Vision edition on UHD co-existing with a 3D release, but I have a major problem with UHD replacing 3D for a title that was conceived from Day 1 as a 3D film.

Bryan^H

Senior HTF Member
Here's hoping!

I see that it's available for preorder in certain places, but I always get nervous about these until people start reporting that the disc is in hand. It's too easy for a studio to announce a potential pre-release, or for retailers to expect they'll be getting a certain format based on previous releases, and then make a listing based on that information, and then ultimately not have the product show up at all. As an example, Disney's remake of Pete's Dragon was supposed to get an international 3D release...until it didn't. Most of these international releases aren't day & date with the U.S. either - they're often a month or so later, at least on the Disney side of things.

I'm worried a day will come where we'll see the preorders going up for a 3D edition for major blockbusters, but the release never materializes in the end, and I'm worried that day is probably coming sooner vs. later.

I was in Best Buy the other day, and really saddened to see the dedicated 3D section a memory. Also all the newer releases I thought would be a no-brainer were a no show (like Xxx the Return of Xander Cage, the Lego Batman Movie etc). In fact there were less than a handful of 3D titles in the entire movie section.

Add to that the sad state of 3D show times in most first run theaters(at my theater 12 showings a day on a major film, and 3D is relegated to a 3:55, and 9:40 showing only). Yes the writing is on the wall. My only wish is that studios don't rip off the band aid for home video releases until the format has vanished from theaters.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mycuu
Recent bookmarks