What's new

Disney "Digital Restorations" (1 Viewer)

Chuck Pennington

Screenwriter
As stated previously in another post, I am recording the LD over to a DVD-RW on my DVD recorder using the HQ+ and LD video setting (set by Pioneer for optimum recording from a Laserdisc) for white/black levels. This isn't the way I'd master a real DVD, but for screen captures of static scenes, it's fine. Blacks are not totally black at the LD video setting, and whites aren't totally white either - not compared to the DVD's I play on the same player and have calibrated using Video Essentials - so this might mean the LD captures actually are worse than the actual Laserdiscs.

This process won't add light to a candle and shadow to a background. It won't erase or thin out lines in animation, and it won't completely change the color on an image.

Kris Z.

Stunt Coordinator
Regardless of whether the LD caps have absolutely correct colours or not, it's still safe to say that the ones in the Lowry restoration are messed up. Blue eyeballs and grey wedding dresses? Come on.

And like I said, something's wrong at Lowry because everything whitish turns into grey or blue, take a look at this comparison between the original Star Wars DVD and the Lowry restored version. Corridors, stormtroopers, Leia's dress, blue everywhere.

Ravi K

Supporting Actor
I had no idea these were so bad. That Pinocchio candle shot is particularly disappointing. Did Disney get any of these animated films right on DVD?

Chuck Pennington

Screenwriter
The DVD of PINOCCHIO released in the US in 1999 has the 1993 transfer on it. The 2003 Lowry version was only released internationally and is now out-of-print.

I'm glad someone else sees what I'm talking about. :) I do need to work more on adding pictures to the PINOCCHIO comparison because I seemed to pick scenes that are very brownish on the older releases, but there are many other scenes that look great.

Kris Z.

Stunt Coordinator
Of the longer feature films, not really. In my opinion the best-looking restorations were some of the colour shorts on the earlier Walt Disney Treasures, as they didn't bother "degraining" or "enhancing" any of those.

Patrick McCart

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Patrick McCart

Except for the 30 seconds of censorship to the Pastoral segment and Deems Taylor being redubbed, Fantasia is probably the best in terms of this. While they did take out cel dust, it still looks like film. The original 2001 Dumbo DVD isn't messed with a whole lot (other than cel dust removal), but a lot of people complained about it having film grain. The SE for Alice in Wonderland didn't go overboard too much. The Many Adventures of Pooh also has a film look, but does have a film grain texture.

Stephen_J_H

All Things Film Junkie
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Stephen J. Hill
One of the best Disney has done (and RAH agrees with me on this, as I bought it following his recommendation) is The Reluctant Dragon, as contained in the Walt Disney Treasures set Disney Behind the Scenes. It's not purely animation, but the animation contained in it looks as close to real 35mm film as DVD can get.

Jay Pennington

Screenwriter
The only segment of Fantasia in which I noticed a lack of cel dust was Sorcerer's Apprentice. I assume this is due to a cleanup for its use in F2000. I recall seeing it the rest of the time...did you notice its absence in other segments, Patrick?

I agree it's a great-looking presentation.

Patrick McCart

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Patrick McCart

It's a little visible in the Pastoral and Dances of the Hours segments, but I know Night on Bald Mountain/Ave Maria, Sorceror's Apprentice, Toccota and Fugue, and Nutcracker were pretty much free of it. That's at least what I recall. It's been a while since I watched the DVD.

Ravi K

Supporting Actor

I have three of the Treasures tins sitting unwatched on my shelf. I'll have to watch them.

Snow White is the only feature disc I've seen. IIRC it looked a little too grainless for a film from the 1930s.

Stephen_J_H

All Things Film Junkie
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Stephen J. Hill
Snow White is indeed very grain-free, almost like they'd gone back in time with a DV camera and done a digital capture of the cels @ 24p. Almost.

ScottR

Senior HTF Member
Is Snow White cropped a little too much on the bottom of the frame? I seem to recall this during the "Once Upon a Time" book titles.

captainjoe

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Sam

Something is up with their colour-corrector's. I noticed this when posting those caps and when I did some of the Bond UEs.

Adam_S

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Adam_S
I sincerely doubt there is anything wrong with Lowry's color correctors, my guess is that or your computer monitor is set to a more blue color temperature (6500k) rather than an accurate color temperature for film restoration or display, or even to the color temperature of televisions (not monitors).

captainjoe

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Sam

Yeah don't blame me. It has been posted on numerous forums and if my monitor was set wrong then the other caps would be blue too.

MielR

Advanced Member
Real Name
MielR
The 2004 Star Wars discs really have become infamous for their obvious bluish tint (and for other reasons, like the detail-squashing black level and some audio screw-ups) and some have surmised that it was done at the behest of George Lucas, to make the OT "match" the PT more (given that the PT and other current films seem to have a cooler cast to them than films made in the '70s).

However, if Lowry's Disney/Bond DVDs have a blue cast too, then I guess we can't blame Lucas (for that, anyway ;) ).

I'm not familiar enough with the Disney/Bond films to say that the Lowry DVDs don't look right. But, with the Star Wars Trilogy, I've seen those films literally hundreds of times, so the blue tint on the '04 DVDs was instantly noticeable to me (and before I read one word about it on the internet, so it's not just captainjoe).

Based on everything I've read in this forum by the Disney and Bond experts, I don't think it would be a stretch to say there's something amiss in Lowry-Land.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
papill6n
Recent bookmarks